Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 08:20 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,709,101 times

Advertisements

Ah yes - I remember back when GM and Buick had a sense of humor and put a turbo V6 in a Buick.

They are pretty neat cars because they are an oddity. They ran O.K. but were mostly interesting because they were a turbo Buick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 08:23 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times
Ran okay?

They beat everything else out there...

They can still hold their own 20 years later.

Personally the Anniversary Trans Am of 1989 was a good package.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:40 AM

Musclecarclub.com - Muscle Cars - Buick Grand National and Regal T-Type

They ran low 14's in the 1/4 mile, which is O.K. by most gearhead standards. Yes, they were faster than most of the other junk being built in the 80's, but let's not lose track of the fact that they ran in the low 14's stock.

Even the baddest of the bad (GNX) only ran in the mid-13's out of the box, which is still only decent by most respectible gearhead standards. They are popular because they are so different - not because they were the fastest cars ever built.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:50 AM

3,440 posts, read 8,042,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
dude! it's not worth sitting through that stupid piece of **** of a movie just to see some ******* wreck a GNX.

boycott this movie in theatres and then rent it only for the comedic qualities of it's gross misrepresentations of reality - automotive and general.

yea, I agree...

As far as the GN, the GNX and the T type they are all considered muscle cars of the late 80's along with the GMC Ty and the Syclone. Hell, even Ford came out with a Mustang turbo car.

More or less the late 80's were a blend of technology (EFI, Speed density, Computers, Injectors, Turbos) and old school muscle with the GNX being the victor however it was quickly pulled off the shelves becasue in 1987 it was the GNX was fastest production car in the world. GM could not have this as there Corvette was the flagship of the company.

YouTube - Buick Grand National Commercial - 1985

Old 04-08-2009, 08:58 AM

[quote=Morphous01;8242538]yea, I agree...

More or less the late 80's were a blend of technology (EFI, Speed density, Computers, Injectors, Turbos) and old school muscle with the GNX being the victor however it was quickly pulled off the shelves becasue in 1987 it was the GNX was fastest production car in the world. GM could not have this as there Corvette was the flagship of the company.
/quote]

Um - no. Maybe the fastest production car in the U.S. in 1987 but certainly not the world (the Ferrari F40 comes to mind). Think of the GN as "the king of the 80's in the U.S."

Last edited by Johnny C; 04-08-2009 at 09:17 AM..

Old 04-08-2009, 11:35 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,785,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
They ran low 14's in the 1/4 mile, which is O.K. by most gearhead standards. Yes, they were faster than most of the other junk being built in the 80's, but let's not lose track of the fact that they ran in the low 14's stock.

Even the baddest of the bad (GNX) only ran in the mid-13's out of the box..
I think they ran more like high 13's....

14's maybe if you were a lousy driver.

The cool thing about these cars is you could drive them anywhere you wanted, anytime....drive them to work, store, then drive them to the track on race day, pump out all the pump fuel via the electric fuel pump bypass on the car....then fill the tank with 110 octane and shorten the waste gate actuator arm...and all the sudden you were running 12's...with just that little bit of work....and yes all of this done AT THE TRACK with really no special tools needed.

Not many cars can net you a drop in ET with such little work.

Now they make alcohol injection kits for these cars that does the same thing as 110 octane but you can run pump gas and not have any knock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Ran okay?

They beat everything else out there...

They can still hold their own 20 years later.

Personally the Anniversary Trans Am of 1989 was a good package.
I agree....the turbo Buicks are still one of the dominating cars at the track and on the street. And yes the 89 Turbo T/A I'd love to own one of those....I think they've been said to be the fastest Trans AM ever built....in stock form even faster than the LS1 cars.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:58 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,388,854 times
I would think an LS1 Camaro would probably make short work of a 20th Anniversary TA.

I think the LSx in the 3rd gen Camaro would be a very nice swap. Into a GN as well.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:09 PM

^the LS1 powered F-bodies run low to mid 13's all day long. The 1989 turbo T/A's run mid to high 13's. The LS1 T/A's have the slight edge.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:19 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,785,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Worley View Post
I would think an LS1 Camaro would probably make short work of a 20th Anniversary TA.
Maybe if the TTA was running low boost. Just because it's a V6 doesn't necessarily mean the V8 has the edge. The rotating assembly in the 6 is lighter than the 8. It winds up quicker. When under boost those little engines are pure torque monsters. Ever noticed how a turbo Buick can smoke a set of tires quicker on a brake stand than a traditional V8 can?

Old 04-08-2009, 01:29 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,042,428 times
[quote=Johnny C;8242669]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
yea, I agree...

/quote]

Um - no. Maybe the fastest production car in the U.S. in 1987 but certainly not the world (the Ferrari F40 comes to mind). Think of the GN as "the king of the 80's in the U.S."

Excuse me, yes you right in the U.S!! About the f40 I saw that car up close in California. That car is the closest you can get to a formula F1 race car..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC