Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 04:50 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,774,443 times

Advertisements

Something to keep in mind, is a Monte Carlo was considered a personal luxury car. Even so much to the point as to they had round speedometer gauges and wood grain trim inside the car. I don't think too many luxury cars had front drums on them standard in an era where disc were considered upscale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 12:05 PM

774 posts, read 2,601,286 times
I have a 72 Monte and Front Disc, Rear Drums are listed as standard equipment on the 72 model. My 71 Monte also had the same front disc, rear drum setup and they work great with modern tires.

My Monte stops every bit as well as my brand new Camry.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:31 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,859,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
were power drums or discs standard on the 1973 Monte Carlo S? I ask because a test in CR's rendered the car conditionally acceptable, and i don't remember what the condition was to render the car to be acceptable to CR's. Either the car had be fitted with discs or the car had to be made after a certain point in the production year. i remember it had to do something with the power brake booster not producing sufficient boost, causing the brakes to "fade alarmingly"

the same thing with that year's Olds Omega, tho i know for sure that one was tested with power drums and i think the car swerved dangerously. i think the remedy for the car to be acceptable was for the car to be ordered with discs
I remember one of my uncles on my mom's side of the family bought a 1977 new Monte Carlo, and I believe he had disks in the front and drums in the rear.

Chevrolet to the smaller Monte Carlo in 1978 and I think the 5.0/305 V-8 was the standard engine. I have been seeing more and more of the 1973-1977 Monte Carlos on the road lately, I'll have to look at the brakes on them, LOL.. I think the big bumpers were a little ugly to be honest. In my opinion, the 1972 Monte Carlos were the last good ones Chevy made, when it came to good performance and looks combination. Just like the Ford Torinos. A 1972 Ford Torino or a Chevy Monte would be my choice for a classic car in that class of cars. I never cared for those large bumpers they started putting on cars in 1973.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:46 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,714,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I remember one of my uncles on my mom's side of the family bought a 1977 new Monte Carlo, and I believe he had disks in the front and drums in the rear.

Chevrolet to the smaller Monte Carlo in 1978 and I think the 5.0/305 V-8 was the standard engine. I have been seeing more and more of the 1973-1977 Monte Carlos on the road lately, I'll have to look at the brakes on them, LOL.. I think the big bumpers were a little ugly to be honest. In my opinion, the 1972 Monte Carlos were the last good ones Chevy made, when it came to good performance and looks combination. Just like the Ford Torinos. A 1972 Ford Torino or a Chevy Monte would be my choice for a classic car in that class of cars. I never cared for those large bumpers they started putting on cars in 1973.
Yeah, the bumpers were pretty hideous in those early days, before they integrated them better in later years. But other than that, those were great cars and my favorite generation of the GM A-body. Smooth, quiet, big-car feel. Looked out over a long hood with hood ornament - loved it. Perfect for a long weekend trip for 2 in style and comfort.

Funny how some people liked the '70-'72s better and those same people usually liked the '78-'80s. And others, like me, were completely uninspired by those series and loved the '73-'77.

The '78 downsizing was a big disappointment for me, but for '81 they came back to a nice body style once again - particularly in the Grand Prix version. Standard engine in the '78 Monte was the Buick 231 V-6.

I agree with you about the '72 Torinos - later years never measured up....styling wise, at least.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:42 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,850,387 times
If you are a chevy enthusiast, may I suggest Chevy Talk - Chevy / Chevy Message Boards for the Chevy Enthusiast. The forums there have lots of knowledgeable people.

The early Monte Carlo's were built on the Chevelle 4 door frame which gave it a longer wheelbase. The doors were really long...

Old 05-07-2013, 08:06 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,874,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
...The doors were really long...

Indeed. As were the hoods.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:03 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,675,618 times
I thought the restyled 73 Monte was irresistible in appearance, and the 74 was close. and when the Chevelle Laguna came out I thought i thought the name and concept was also awesome. tho i am really a Mopar fan of that era (esp 72-74) I have to credit Chevy with producing some of the most stylish exciting cars back then. the Caprice Classic looked like a Cadillac from the grille and if it weren't for the Fury, that would have easily been my favorite car

i recall as a 10 going on 11 year old kid feeling so excited to see the new cars in the fall of 72, both by Chrysler and GM. seeing the new Century in magazine ads was breathtaking (remember the old "Accudrive"?!)

Old 05-08-2013, 01:37 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
In my opinion, that style/era of those particular cars were some of the best looking cars in my lifetime. The Grand Prix, Cutlass, Monte Carlo and Regal. I would even include as an offshoot the 1977 Thunderbird.

Even the downsizing in 1978 of the GM's, in my opinion, wasn't bad. They kept the look, just a bit smaller.

Edit: I'll even include the Corboba which had rich Corinthian leather.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 05-08-2013 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: added

Old 05-08-2013, 02:24 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,260,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

Edit: I'll even include the Corboba which had rich Corinthian leather.
I like what they've done to my car.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:34 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,859,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post

Definitely 1970s styling. For some reason I'm now hearing The Bee Gees and one of their disco songs from that time period, and I see John Travolta dancing to the song... and no, I never liked disco..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC