Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 09:38 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if the amount the nose sticks out past the headlights causes a problem with them lighting the center area ahead of the car. Anyone seen a night drive?

I haven't weighed in yet, but I give it a ten. Absolutely gorgeous car. That said Ill never buy one because I refuse to spend that much on a car - so far. I have yet to pay more for a car than I did for my first house but I think that will change next purchase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 09:48 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
Who cares about entry level luxury cars? Most people buy them just to say they have whatever brand they bought from anyway. Not everyone wants to track his or her car either.
A lot of people? The ATS is Cadillac's second best selling model...

Old 03-27-2013, 09:50 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Isn't the Cadillac CTS just a cosmetically glorified Chevy Malibu that costs about $25,000 more than the Malibu and pads the priofits of GM.
No. The CTS is a true rear wheel drive car. The Malibu is a very ordinary front wheel drive sedan, designed to compete with Camry, Accord, Sonata, and Fusion.

Vast differences in the cars. The CTS in the V version has a supercharged V8 with 556 Hp.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:06 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
What I'm saying is the ATS is a minor improvement on the 10 year old BMW's they modeled it on. I don't seriously think car buyers now will cross shop those 2 cars, but having owned one for years I don't see a clear benefit in trading a 330i ZHP for an ATS even if Cadillac is handing them out for only $299/mo.

Except it costs 4 times as much... which blows away any value comparison. It's close enough for 1/4th the cost, perhaps because it's just a newer copy of an old BMW.
Your thinking is a bit muddled here. The ATS isn't modeled after a ten year old BMW. It is modeled to the standards of modern cars while specifically targeting the handling threshold and communicative chassis qualities of the E46 BMW which is considered one of the best handling sports sedans even compared to BMW's of today. Although to buyers like myself handling is a very big deal I also understand that many other details are taken into account when considering a car purchase. The ATS has a better and thoroughly modern interior, a handsome exterior (a bit bland but I'm guessing the V will take care of that as I prefer more aggressive styling elements), better handling/feedback than the current 3 series and other benefits of new cars such as warranty, etc. Any rational person knows that when shopping for a new car the value proposition is judged on the offerings of other new cars. Or if you are comparing new vs. old you understand that the newer car will cost more simply because it is new and to many buyers there is value in that. Considering how many pasts BMW owners have said they wished BMW would just make a modern E46 it seems like the ATS is exactly that just under a different badge.

Last edited by iTsLiKeAnEgG; 03-27-2013 at 10:16 AM..

Old 03-27-2013, 10:07 AM

1,716 posts, read 3,584,060 times
Quote:
A lot of people? The ATS is Cadillac's second best selling model...
And most people buy them for the badge. Real luxury doesn't start until you get to the mid size class.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:08 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
I like how they've stepped back into the ring of the "500" or V8 non tuner house car with the twin turbo V6. Was worried when the Northstar replacement was dropped and I don't think using an LT1 would quite fit with their brand image strategy. It has always been a difficult segment for any but the E or 5 to play in as both the GS and STS were also rans and the M is not quite there yet. This car has plenty of potential.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:16 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Your thinking is a bit muddled here. The ATS isn't modeled after a ten year old BMW. It is modeled to the standards of modern cars while specifically targeting the handling threshold and communicative chassis qualities of the E46 BMW which is considered one of the best handling sports sedans even compared to BMW's of today. Although to buyers like myself handling is a very big deal I also understand that many other details are taken into account when considering a car purchase. The ATS has a better and thoroughly modern interior, a handsome exterior (a bit bland but I'm guessing the V will take care of that as I prefer more aggressive styling elements), better handling/feedback than the current 3 series and other benefits of new cars such as warranty, etc. Any rational person knows that when shopping for a new car the value proposition is judged on the offerings of other new cars. Or if you are comparing new vs. old you understand that the newer car will cost more simply because it is new and to many buyers there is value in that. Considering how many pasts BMW owners have said they wished BMW would just make a modern E46 it seems like the ATS is exactly that just under a different badge.
It's widely known the ATS was modeled off the E46.

2013 Cadillac ATS First Test - Motor Trend

Old 03-27-2013, 11:43 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times
Quote:
It's widely known the ATS was modeled off the E46.

2013 Cadillac ATS First Test - Motor Trend
It is widely known that the E46 was used as a handling/feedback benchmark. Handling is a single characteristic of a vehicle. They picked the E46 because it is considered the best handling 3 series after which BMW started softening subsequent releases. The fact that Cadillac benchmarked a very good car is not a slight against the ATS, it is a positive. It also says nothing about the other characteristics of the ATS which is a solid car all around when equipped with the proper drivetrain.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:04 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,948,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
It is widely known that the E46 was used as a handling/feedback benchmark. Handling is a single characteristic of a vehicle. They picked the E46 because it is considered the best handling 3 series after which BMW started softening subsequent releases. The fact that Cadillac benchmarked a very good car is not a slight against the ATS, it is a positive. It also says nothing about the other characteristics of the ATS which is a solid car all around when equipped with the proper drivetrain.
Your reasoning and logic is wasted on this person.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:17 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,711 times
Only problem I have with it is the over 50k cost. We all know that GM is not able to build a car that is worth that much...no way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC