Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 12:43 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times

Advertisements

Thoughts on this car. My FIL wants to get one. He likes the looks of them better than the Equinox. My vote would go the other way but it is his car. Anyway, does anyone have one? How is the pricing? How much off of MSRP? He probably is looking at the cheapest model out there. So, the great leather seats, as en example, don't matter to him.

What other cars should he consider? He wants a cheap SUV. Doesn't need any options besides the standard stuff. It probably has to be well under 25,000 He wouldn't be caught dead in a KIA or Hyundai. Still thinks they make lousy cars. Pointless to try and convince him otherise. His loss.

Would it be worth waiting for a 2013 Escape? Then again, he wouldn't like that car because he would have to pay sticker when it is introduced and he needs a "great deal".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 12:49 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
When I was looking a couple of years ago I noticed that the standard options on the Terrain were more than on the Equinox. Adding them to the Equinox gave a higher price. I don't know if that's still true.

If I had bought one it would have been the Terrain for that reason.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:00 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,167,740 times
The 'great deal' on the Escape would be the current model. That's always the case when a significant re-design comes about, especially on a platform that old.

Nothing against the Terrain, but if he's so budget-conscious, why is a GMC the first choice? That's never gonna be the cheapest.

What does he need out of the SUV? Does he need 4WD/AWD? Does he need people space? Cargo space? If all he needs is a cheap person mover that has a lot of usable interior space for the money, maybe get him to take a peek at the Scion xB. It's about as barebones as you get, but it's CHEAP and can hold just as much as the Terrain or similar.

Mike

Old 01-06-2012, 01:32 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
The 2012 Terrain has a great infotainment screen compared to the 2011 model. The Terrain is also a bit more upscale than a comparable Equinox, a little bit better built as well. I personally love the squarish look of the Terrain, very appealing. I don't blame him for not looking at a Kia or Hyundai, the older generation is like that and you aren't going to change their minds for nothing!

2012 Terrain would be a great choice but I'd recommend a few options, he'd probably learn to appreciate the memory seats and the power rear liftgate .

Old 01-06-2012, 10:13 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,236,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
The 'great deal' on the Escape would be the current model. That's always the case when a significant re-design comes about, especially on a platform that old.

I'm guessing there is going to be a fire sale on 2012s once the new design comes out. I like the Escape, old design, but that's not a bad thing, everything is getting so round.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:22 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
The 2012 Terrain has a great infotainment screen compared to the 2011 model. The Terrain is also a bit more upscale than a comparable Equinox, a little bit better built as well.
i doubt that the workers making both side by side (or one after the other) in the factory in Canada impart greater quality to Terrain than the Equinox.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:59 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
i doubt that the workers making both side by side (or one after the other) in the factory in Canada impart greater quality to Terrain than the Equinox.
I meant the parts used are a bit higher quality, just take a look at the interior and the difference in soft-touch materials in the Terrain versus cheaper plastics in the Equinox.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:13 PM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
I like both but would probably say the Equinox is the nicer looking of the two.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:06 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,236,138 times
I'm a GM fan, but the Terrain is one ugly looking SUV.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:42 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post

Nothing against the Terrain, but if he's so budget-conscious, why is a GMC the first choice? That's never gonna be the cheapest.

What does he need out of the SUV? Does he need 4WD/AWD? Does he need people space? Cargo space? If all he needs is a cheap person mover that has a lot of usable interior space for the money, maybe get him to take a peek at the Scion xB. It's about as barebones as you get, but it's CHEAP and can hold just as much as the Terrain or similar.

Mike
Funny you said that. The Xb is their other car. He really only craves an upright seating position for my MIL.

I don't know why he wants a GMC but maybe because a Chevy isn't fancy enough?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC