Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2007, 02:14 PM

16 posts, read 90,286 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I was hoping someone would be able to point out some nice towns near Chattanooga where you can still buy large tracts of land (60-80 acres). If anyone knows websites or other places that lists this kind of RE that would be helpful.

My parents and my husband and I are looking for some land where we can have horses, do some tree farming and just enjoy country living. I'm hoping to be able to buy for under $5000/acre if there's no structures on the land, I'd be able to pay more if there's a house. I would like to have groceries available within 10 mins (a hardware store close would be a bonus) but I don't mind driving some (30-45 mins) in order to do major shopping. Good schools are pretty important, although if I had to, I wouldn't mind home schooling the future kids I'd just have to convince dh . A good library would be great and I'd almost say a neccessity.

If anyone can give advice on areas to avoid that would be great too. I've heard some horror stories of some Deliverance like behavoir in some remote areas.

Thanks so much for any help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 05:39 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,873,725 times
Default North Chattanooga.. ?

J : Most of your stuff will be a YES, but the large acreage wont be that close to the Downtown part of the City. You did not mention where you are from now. I am in the North part of Hamilton co,(Soddy), there is a nice horse farm with house (LEE PIKE ) right next to upscale development , maybe 12-15 acres, almost back to the cove / river.
The waterfront tree tract behind my house 143 acres had been for sale last 6 months. I will ask you to Private Message me, From the upper right of these forum pages, to share some details. Your Tree Farming , not quite sure,?? We have plenty of wood and stuff for fire wood, but lots of the Pines suffered from a Beetle Disease / Blight a few years ago, and now many of the lumber companies, (Bowater,etc) are selling off their holdings. Cheaper I guess to get re-cycle stuff.
Many churches here and friendly neighbors S.E. region. I do have canoe / kayak boats, but really rural roads far away for hunting / rowdy strangers.
DAYTON ,Tn new library just great. Drop me a note. Lots of hiking here. Pic of hilltop cove for sale. ................................[IMG][/IMG]

Old 02-28-2007, 06:13 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,094,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenicanoelle View Post
Hello,

I was hoping someone would be able to point out some nice towns near Chattanooga where you can still buy large tracts of land (60-80 acres). If anyone knows websites or other places that lists this kind of RE that would be helpful.

My parents and my husband and I are looking for some land where we can have horses, do some tree farming and just enjoy country living. I'm hoping to be able to buy for under $5000/acre if there's no structures on the land, I'd be able to pay more if there's a house. I would like to have groceries available within 10 mins (a hardware store close would be a bonus) but I don't mind driving some (30-45 mins) in order to do major shopping. Good schools are pretty important, although if I had to, I wouldn't mind home schooling the future kids I'd just have to convince dh . A good library would be great and I'd almost say a neccessity.

If anyone can give advice on areas to avoid that would be great too. I've heard some horror stories of some Deliverance like behavoir in some remote areas.

Thanks so much for any help.
I think you'd probably find more acreage available if you go into Middle TN than in the Chattanooga area. Look into towns west of Chattanooga or to into northern Middle TN around the Big South Fork Rec area. There are lots of horse "farms" around there ($$$). Go to realtor.com and input a town, your preferences, especially for farm or land.

Deliverance was a movie....don't believe that kind of stuff.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:10 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
What horror stories about "Deliverance"-like behavior?

Dying to know what that would entail from someone looking to buy 60 to 80 acres of land for their horses.

Please share.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:20 PM

Quote:
I think you'd probably find more acreage available if you go into Middle TN than in the Chattanooga area.
I noticed that there was more land available towards middle Tn but Chattanooga area is more convenient for my husband's job (sales territory that includes GA, SC, AL, and FL). Also according to the stats I've seen it seems to be hotter in middle TN than in eastern TN. We're in Memphis now and it's just brutal there in the summer. I know chattanooga isn't much better but it seems the average highs are in the mid 80's there whereas memphis' is in the mid 90's which does make a difference.

Quote:
What horror stories about "Deliverance"-like behavior?

Dying to know what that would entail from someone looking to buy 60 to 80 acres of land for their horses.

Please share.
The deliverance-like behavoir I actually heard about on here a couple of months ago. It seemed like the guy posting was just trying to be funny but everyone was taking him seriously so I had to wonder. It wasn't nearly as bad as the movie (afterall it is a movie) but it did all seem shady. I wish I could find the posts because I can't remember the details. I do remember that a lady replied in that thread that she and her family had moved to a rural eastern Tn area and she was basically threaten and told to leave because they didn't want outsiders.

My husband is actually the one who worries, he travels for work a lot and has seen a few too many movies where the bad guy is hiding out in the country. I've tried to tell him that statistically rural areas are way safer than the suburbs but I haven't been able to squash the hollywood-induced sterotypes.

The 60-80 acres isn't just for the horses. Personally I would be happy with 10 acres for a couple horses, a huge garden, and maybe some chickens and goats. It's my dad who wants the land, he has dreams of becoming some kind of farmer (tree, nursery, or crops). We all think he's in for a rude awakening when the difficulties of farming hits but he's retired and has the health of a 30 year old so I think I'll just sit back and see what happens Besides pooling his $$$ with my little $ makes land more affordable for my husband and I

Thanks for your help and comments. Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-01-2007, 06:39 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,652,115 times
Maybe Chickamauga or Lafayette GA (basically Chattanooga suburbs +- 30 miinutes to town) if you don't find anything closer. The Chickamauga Cove is beautiful and VERY farmy. As Split said, Soddy/ Sale Creek is good too.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
Maybe Chickamauga or Lafayette GA (basically Chattanooga suburbs +- 30 miinutes to town) if you don't find anything closer. The Chickamauga Cove is beautiful and VERY farmy. As Split said, Soddy/ Sale Creek is good too.
I'll definitely check those out. That's two places I haven't really looked at yet. Thanks for the advice.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:14 AM

74 posts, read 234,551 times
I usualy check www.landandfarm.com every once in a while for acrage. Looks to me like since folks don't pay any land tax, there is not much incentive for people to sell aside from the capital gain. Nearly all the lots at this sight are in mid TN, but it will give you an idea and some good leads on realators if you want to poke around in those areas.
Good Luck

Old 03-02-2007, 12:17 PM

130 posts, read 475,106 times
MCMINNEVILLE IS THE NURSERY CAPITAL OF THE UNITED STATES.
Pretty nice size town, has everything. you should be able to find some land there.

Old 03-02-2007, 01:02 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,652,115 times
Default Great Link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOVIN-n-012 View Post
I usualy check www.landandfarm.com every once in a while for acrage. Looks to me like since folks don't pay any land tax, there is not much incentive for people to sell aside from the capital gain. Nearly all the lots at this sight are in mid TN, but it will give you an idea and some good leads on realators if you want to poke around in those areas.
Good Luck
Excellent link! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga