Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 12:17 PM
lyz lyz started this thread

13 posts, read 33,663 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are moving to Chattanooga, and I am looking for apartments and/or houses near the performing arts high school (which is across the Market STreet bridge, I think). I am wondering what the neighborhood is like over there or if there are safe places near that area.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 01:09 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,680,009 times
i'm sitting in my office there right now...it's called the North Shore It's booming and you can buy a 1 bedroom condo for about $180k here at O N E N O R T H S H O R E

(not my idea of a bargain though)

Old 09-23-2008, 07:05 PM

Thanks. Yes, that is a little pricey for me at the moment. My house that I just sold was $115,000 - two bedroom, two bath - smaller and older, but in a safe, quite neighborhood. I am thinking I should just find an apartment, but I am clueless when it comes to Chattanooga. I need a safe place with easy access - I'm a single mom with a teenager. So, being near a bus line would be nice. If you think of anything else let me know! Thanks!

Old 09-23-2008, 10:44 PM

the North Shore is not a low price area, but I'll keep an eye out for you. what is your timeline?

Old 09-27-2008, 12:50 PM

It won't be until next summer. There are a lot of things that have to come into place before we move, but we'd want to be there before school starts next fall. I love an area with a "downtown" feel, but maybe there are other places that would be good to view that would still have an artsy type of feel that are safe and affordable. If we rented first, that would give us plenty of time to look. Thanks for keeping an eye out for me!

Old 10-04-2008, 10:04 AM

4 posts, read 10,191 times
Hi - Can't recommend a specific place, but definitely STAY AWAY from Fortwood Apartments! It's not far from the school - you could walk it in nice weather - and outwardly seems great: historic building, lovely apartments, nice pool....but the management sucks!

I lived in Fortwood when I first moved to Chatt, and was very happy with the place. There was a full-time super who lived in the building, and it was beautifully kept up. When he retired a couple of years ago the building manager replaced him with a PT handyman. The place soon became filthy, with no on-site presence things got out of control with some tenants, and repairs - if done at all - were jury-rigged.

The boiler broke down, and rather than the manager getting a master plumber, the poor, overworked handyman was told to fix it. That worked for a while - but not long. We were without hot water for several weeks last winter - including Christmas and New Years. The manger cut the garbage pickup from twice a week to once - the building was soon rat infested. (I understand his compensation is based on how much money he saves the owners - a couple of doctors who use the manger as a straw man.) One tenant called the manager when she went into her kitchen to find THREE rats in her trash can; his reponse? He hung up on her! The rats ate through my phone and cable wires; I was told it was MY responsibility to pay for repairs. Anyway, you get the idea. After having my holidays ruined, I moved out of there as soon as I could.

There are a few apartment buildings on Georgia Avenue (very close and convenient to the school); I'd look into those. But - whatever you do - STAY AWAY FROM FORTWOOD APARTMENTS!

Old 10-05-2008, 04:25 PM

9 posts, read 22,160 times
Yah but rent keeps going up.
As newcomer that may be interested in laws taxes municipality water quality, air quality, health money pet friendly communities and dangerous dogs, privacy and noise issues weather alerts community living smoking trash disposal all that stuff...I would like to have had the phone book and flag the blue pages for the number you call to address previous mentioned complaints from renters and if I were moving here to buy I would want to review budget plans for downtown renovation and promoting tourism,political voting history, property/vehicle/TN sales tax rates, just things I have noticed over the years... welcome to chattanooga

Last edited by RhondaAtHome; 10-05-2008 at 04:33 PM..

Old 10-06-2008, 07:15 PM

Thanks everyone for the info. We are headed to Chattanooga this week just to check things out. So, I'll keep all this info in mind.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:34 PM

Normal Palooza - Arts & Music Festival

Saturday October 25th 10am-5pm

Dallas Rd & Mississippi Avenue

showcasing everything good about Normal Park and North Chattanooga

Old 10-23-2008, 10:34 AM

Default towns around Chattanooga in Hamilton County

Hi,
After our great visit to Chattanooga during our fall break, we realized that the school my daughter wants to attend is a county school. So, are there any smaller towns near Chattanooga in Hamilton County that are artistic or "quaint", etc. My daughter has in mind something similar to Star's Hollow on The Gilmore Girls. We have to stay in a rental price of $800 or below and a house price of $115,00 or less, which limits us, I know!
Thanks for all your help!
Lyz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga