Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2008, 08:27 PM

69 posts, read 282,057 times

Advertisements

We've already made our reservations at the Super 8 that is close to the Hamilton Place Mall. Now DH is saying he thinks we should stay downtown where we can walk to most things. How far is the drive from the Hamilton Place area to downtown? Has anyone stayed at that Super 8? It has REALLY good prices and the in-room fridge that we need for his insulin. We don't really care about a pool this trip, the kids won't be with us this time. I know hotel/motels have been discussed on here many times, but it gets confusing trying to find the posts again where I've read the recomendations. So I figured if I started one all the info could be in one place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 09:48 PM

380 posts, read 1,181,950 times
Hamilton Place is about 15 minutes to downtown via the interstate. You could park your car downtown near the aquarium area and walk to everything or catch the free shuttle to get you to North Shore (and I think it even runs to the Southside now). Parking is pretty cheap - maybe $6-8 for the day. Staying downtown is more fun and convenient, but hotels can be pretty pricey. Unfortunately, I can't tell you anything about the Super 8 at Hamilton Place. It's probably clean, decent, and no-frills. Nice that they have fridges. Be wary of the lower priced downtown hotels, as they are in less safe neighborhoods on the still-run-down-area of the Southside (not so great for walking). I would recommend the Read House, The Chattanoogan, The Marriott, Staybridge Suites, Residence Inn Marriott. However, these will all probably run $100 or more per night. Maybe you can find a decent rate on Travelocity, Expedia, or Hotels.com. Good luck, and have a great trip.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:30 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,701,871 times
when I first came to visit Chattanooga, we stayed on the outskirts of town and made the drive to downtown. It wasn't far (15 minutes or so like mentioned above), but given what I know now...I would have stayed downtown. That way you can maximize your visit and enjoy more of what makes Chattanooga a great place (the walkable outdoor beauty)

I've been to Hamilton Place once since we moved here, and that was one time to many!

Old 06-10-2008, 04:41 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,889,300 times
Smile Destination of Visit.??

BB: Did not pick-up the purpose of your visit. If just a vacation, then yes downtown will be of more interest. . House - hunting outskirts of city in desired neighborhood.
. That stretch of I-75 is HEAVY 18 wheel rig trafic into Atlanta and can be the 15 minutes from Hell. Another fatality last wekend near the I-75 / I-24 split. Almost daily back-ups.
. Many inns have small ref / micro now a days. Some of our visitors use something like a "Extend -a-Stay" small kitchen. May get 7 day rate close to a 4 day motel ? IMO. Mid 90's this week , still pack the bathing suit.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:02 AM

Bluebird, SPLIT is right about the traffic. Hamilton Place is the largest mall in TN, practically a retail city. And the stretch of I-75/I-24 between HP and Downtown often backs up. Avoid rush hour, for certain. I would advise waiting until 9:00 or later to drive downtown, and don't attempt the drive back to your hotel between the hours of 3:30 - 6:00. Friday afternoons are very congested as well. If you do stay out near HP Mall, if your forget to bring that bathing suit that SPLIT suggested, there will be about 3,000 clothing stores nearby where you can pick one up!

Old 06-10-2008, 09:07 AM

2,071 posts, read 7,701,871 times
HP is like a castle, but is surrounded by a mote of restaurants! A lot of chain restaurants, but some are good

Old 06-10-2008, 11:35 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions....I did check out the hotels downtown and you're right...quite a bit higher in $$. Budget is an issue, so we're probably staying with the Super 8...I think I got the rooms for $54 a night. And believe it or not, it is hard to find a fridge in the room, sometimes even a coffeepot. (I have a spoiled DH!) I looked on the map and it looks like the Super 8 is on the opposite side of I-75 from the mall, maybe that will help with navigating around.

Split....purpose of the visit is two-fold....we are TRYING to relocate to the area because of the proximity to the rest of our family (we haven't seen two of our grown children in almost a year and a half) and I HATE the climate here in TX. So for the most part Chattanooga was picked for location & climate. We stayed in the area (East Ridge) last fall for one night, arrived after dark and checked out of hotel and left. We need to spend some time getting to know the area in person, so far lots of research on the internet. 2nd reason is my husband is trying to transfer there with him company, so far, not getting very far. So he will be visiting the 7 locations his company has there and checking out other opportunities. We will be checking out areas for future househunting, but can't actually buy something there yet until the job solidifies. I don't care if I stay with my current job, so I'll be doing some looking while I'm there also.

I guess you could actually say our visit is 3-fold...because we do plan on doing the touristy things while we are there. Part of getting to know the area....right??

Does anyone happen to know anyone that works at one of the Lowe's stores in the area? Please DM me if you do.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:01 PM

Don't know anyone that works at the Lowe's, but we shop at the Hamilton Place location all of the time, as we remodel homes. I have found the people to be friendly and the store extremely clean. The Northgate (Highway 153) Lowe's is nice too. I'm pretty plant crazy, so I've contemplated trying to get a part time job in the garden department. The manager of the HP location garden department is completely approachable and will request (sort of special order) certain plants from their growers. Much better service than I've had from one of the uppity expensive nurseries here in town.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMar View Post
Don't know anyone that works at the Lowe's, but we shop at the Hamilton Place location all of the time, as we remodel homes. I have found the people to be friendly and the store extremely clean. The Northgate (Highway 153) Lowe's is nice too. I'm pretty plant crazy, so I've contemplated trying to get a part time job in the garden department. The manager of the HP location garden department is completely approachable and will request (sort of special order) certain plants from their growers. Much better service than I've had from one of the uppity expensive nurseries here in town.
McMar....we plan on buying a fixer-upper when we get there...probably more than one as we will need one for our son, too. AND I am VERY plant crazy...I cannot wait to get back to a more plant friendly climate. Between remodeling and plants...we'll probably see each other and not even know it!

Old 06-11-2008, 07:20 AM

We probably will, Bluebird! Hope the hotel works out for you. By the way, it is close to that Lowe's at HP mall, so you can check out the store for yourself. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga