Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 12:56 PM

15 posts, read 85,006 times

Advertisements

I can't believe it's finally happening - I've been browsing these threads since Oct/Nov and now we're finally coming down for a visit. Our three kids don't know we're on a scouting mission for a possible reloctaion, so we'll have to mix in some entertainment. We're thinking of the incline railroad, the aquarium and the downtown area. Anything I should NOT miss for the 3/6/9 year old crowd?

So, I'm all set with my Chattanooga area map and all my school zones. I've even gone as far as narrowing it down to a few schools and highlighting the zones so we can go through some of the communities. Looks like we'll focus on the Hixson, Soddy-Daisy and Signal Mountain areas.

I have a Signal Mountain question...I know from seeing TriDad's video of them mountain that it is incredibly steep, and I've read the different posts. Of course, when you look at the map, it's all so flat! When looking at Nolan and Thrasher elementary schools, where are they in relation to the mountain? On a map, Nolan looks like it's off to itself. Are the schools near the mountain or on the mountain? Just trying to get some sense of geography.

Everyone has made Hisxon sound like this heavenly family place with low crime. Are there any neighborhoods/areas we might want to AVOID on our tour?

We've been at such a crossroads - stay here in VA and have me return to work or head to TN and stay home with the kids. I'm hoping once we get there we can really decide if this is where we'd like to call home. It's all just sounding a little too good!

Thanks for all the previous help, as well as any last-minute thoughts before we head south on Monday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 04:28 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,697,986 times
how exciting!!!!!! DM me if you want to communicate via phone for extra help...be glad to assist..

There are different roads going up Signal Mtn. We just happened to take the EXTREME one

Old 03-18-2008, 05:14 PM

82 posts, read 245,138 times
Ditto on the visit! We will be in town Friday afternoon-projected forecast of 70 fun lovin degrees! Saturday we will spend some time with Wishbone looking at some homes on Signal Mountain. We plan on doing the aquarium too. We bought a yearly pass when we were there in the fall. We are thinking of the same neighborhoods as Ihume. We are hoping to relocate at next spring, Lord willing. Sunday am we will be headin to Griz country (Fla) for Sea World and newly opened Aquactica. Best wishes Ihume. Keep us in the loop. Our kids are 12, 10, and 7 respectfully.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:01 PM

TN Aquarium annual pass is one of the best things to first get.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:58 AM

849 posts, read 2,960,630 times
Ihume - For those ages, I think you have picked some great activities. I would add Ruby Falls and IMAX to that list of possibilities for entertainment.

If you and Frozen Tundra could leave the light on, that would be great. We'll be passing through in about 2 weeks on our way to Gatlinburg.

We're definitle looking forward to it as well!

Grizz

Old 03-19-2008, 07:57 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,674,862 times
Lhume, that's great news. We've got lots to offer for entertainment 'round here If you guys plan on visiting downtown, I MUST recommend riding the free electric shuttle from the ChooChoo to the aquarium/Imax area. We ride the shuttle ALOT and enjoy it every time. It even takes you across the river to Coolidge Park/North Shore but I think you might enjoy walking over it instead.

I don't know your price range but if I "had my druthers" I would choose Signal Mtn. Not that we don't have good ones elsewhere but I think it will be a great thing now that we have a brand new middle/high going up there as well. It will be close to Nolan Elem. By the way, both Nolan and Thrasher are ON the mtn. I can see your confusion there Thank goodness the W Road is NOT the only way down WHEW!

Hixson is a nice area, I grew up there. My little brother attends Hixson High and seems to like it. There are some iffy areas but those are spotted quite easily. Not projects but a definite area of rental homes and duplexes that can be shady. Big Ridge and Middle Valley are great choices for a middle class family looking for something more affordable and safe for their children.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:28 AM

380 posts, read 1,181,031 times
Welcome to Chatt, Lhume!

Jkmewright is spot on regarding Signal and Hixson being great family areas. Big Ridge is a great place to raise a family, as there are a couple of neighborhood pools and tennis courts, the lake is nearby, and it just has a nice community feel about it. However, as your eldest child is 9 and you'll be thinking of middle school before you know it, I'd have to steer you toward Signal Mountain if you can swing it financially. From what I read, Hixson Middle and High Schools are not so great now. If you do choose Middle Valley or Hixson, you can try to enroll your kids at one of the magnet schools when they get to middle school, though there is a lottery process and it's not a sure thing that your kids will get in. Signal Mountain is getting a new high school, which should be a very good one.

Have a good time on your trip!

Old 03-19-2008, 09:22 AM

There's a house up on Big Ridge for sale--a bank foreclosure--that is the talk of the realty world here in town. A big 4/3 house in a gorgeous neighborhood listed for $125k. Previous owners trashed the place and it needs a ton of work. Someone with the cash could fix it up real nice though.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:13 AM

82 posts, read 245,138 times
Get out of here! is Big Ridge a community, like Signal Mountain? Or is it in a community?If that makes sense. Totally cool on the tram to the Aquarium! I did not know that and as it turns out we will be staying at the Choo Choo!

Old 03-19-2008, 11:21 AM

15 posts, read 85,006 times
Default thanks!

Just wanted to thank everyone again for continued thoughts and suggestions. While the aquarium was top on my list, I'm almost thinking we may do the Creative Discovery Museum instead. We don't really have anything like that around here....does anyone know if it's worth the trip? The website made it sound completely awesome and should entertain all three of my kids at their different ages. We'll be on a tight budget after paying for hotel and GAS!!!, so we'll have to choose entertainment wisely.....and I really want to do the scary incline railroad.

The difficult part of our trip is finding a community we like and then finding a rental. My husband is in the mortgage industry and he's set on us renting first, making sure we like that particular area and then buying. I'm not looking forward to moving twice, but I agree that it's probably the wiser things to do. As the number of foreclosures increase over the year, we might be able to pick up something at a great deal. I just haven't seen a ton of rentals on the Internet, and the ones I do find are 1/2 the size of our current house or less....which I guess means we'll just have to adapt.

I'm hoping for clear skies when we come so we can actually see and do things. We head out EARLY Monday morning and here in VA they are calling for snow showers on Monday and mid- to high-50's all week. Right now weather.com is showing at least 10 degrees warmer down there....and no snow. Speaking of the white fluffy stuff, is it silly to ask how much, if any, you get in the Hixson/Signal Mountain area? We haven't gotten much the past few years, just enough to close school 4-5 days a year, but the kids love an occasional sledding day.

As always, thanks so much for your helpful posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga