Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 08:33 AM

15 posts, read 84,810 times

Advertisements

I've spent months reading through the forums and the city data info pages and it all seems so overwhelming! We're in Northern Virginia (Warrenton to be exact). My husband has always wanted to move further south and get away from this crazy Northern Virginia traffic, cost of living, rat race, etc. etc.

I narrowed my choices to NC and TN, and while he'd rather be closer to the beach, I think TN has so much more to offer. We'd like to come for a visit, in March, and I think I've finally narrowed down my choices to some places in Hamilton County.

So, can anyone tell me why one - Hixson, Ooltewah, Soddy Daisy or Signal Mountain - might be better than the others? Here's my current situation:
- I have three kids, ages 9, 6 1/2, 3 1/2. My kids do well in school and that's one of the factors I'm most concerned about, although I'm a former teacher and can help them at home if needed. We're fortunate to be at a Blue Ribbon School right now.

- We live in a community with an acre. We'd like to still stay with an acre, if not move to two acres.

- We moved into our house when homes in this area were $600-900K - obviously with this market they are going for more like $400-500K. My husband wants to downsize and find something more like $300-350K.

- We currently live in a very rural county (Fauquier - as rural as the name sounds!), but we are on the far east side and only 15 minutes from the interstate. I'm used to stores within 15-20 minutes. Our city/town has just under 7000, but I'm 10 minutes from larger ones with all the shopping.

- Part of the reason for our move is to slow down and have a better quality of life. The kids are into sports and we like to do things as a family, which is why the Chattanooga area sounds great - just really don't want to be down in the heart of the city.

- As for work, my husband has a job he can do from home if needed, and I stay home with the kids, so travel time right now isn't so much an issue, but that could change.

- We have minimal crime, gangs, drugs (at least right now) and I'm looking for a safe, family-friendly place.

That about sums it up - anyone prefer one town to the other? I was really concerned about the nuclear plant until my husband informed me we live about 40 minutes from one right now - silly me! Tridad's numerous posts have really peaked my interest in Hixson and after reviewing all the Hamilton
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 09:24 AM

611 posts, read 1,999,488 times
Signal Mtn is a self contained (5,500 or so) community. Very safe. Brand new middle and high school. They have already set the 08 sports schedule.

Hixson is very convenient and affordable.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:20 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,685,630 times
I'm not the mayor of Hixson...really I'm not

We really like the north side of town, but based on your post above I believe there are a number of places around that you might find interesting. Come on over and have fun exploring this March

Old 02-15-2008, 12:43 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,877,623 times
Thumbs up Soddy-Daisy KIDS CLUB

I: There is a multi-ball field lighted park along the lake/pond front every night there are multiple events in town under the Program S-D KIDS CLUB. Tee shirts , etc.
For $350K you can still downsize to $150K and put all the rest in the bank.!
It dont get much closer than having your Own Beach and wear a thong.
No Salt Water to rinse off the boat, or sharks. River is 652 miles long.
. .

Old 02-16-2008, 05:24 AM

Thanks for the info so far. Is it possible to get 1-2 acres in the areas I've mentioned?

Old 02-16-2008, 06:14 AM

2,071 posts, read 7,685,630 times
yes, if you seek you shall find

Old 02-16-2008, 06:17 AM

611 posts, read 1,999,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhume View Post
Thanks for the info so far. Is it possible to get 1-2 acres in the areas I've mentioned?
Yup

Old 02-16-2008, 06:19 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,877,623 times
Thumbs up Lower Armstrong road - 5 acre-new cove

I: Just this week I saw a road board, South Soddy or North Hixon, kind of Lakesite region close to big Hidden Harbor Marina & restaurant, 35 acres being thinned out for SEVEN homesites of 5 acre each. Opposite side of road of river, called Marina cove ?? Also listed as road # 319, MapQuest if you wish.
. In future years a Toll Bridge is in PLAN stage for West to East link of both shores off Rt 111 Soddy to Harrison ?? Also this section very close to our beautiful Chester FROST County park, swimming / camping Fall County FAIR/ music. A definate 1st pick Target spot.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:46 AM

Default thanks for the pictures!

I can't thank all of you enough for the pictures. The area looks so GREEN!

Old 02-16-2008, 09:13 AM

380 posts, read 1,178,849 times
Signal Mountain is beautiful. Soddy Daisy has the lake. I would think both areas are about the same commute time to downtown. You shouldn't have any problem finding a nice house with acreage within your budget, but you'll have to look around a bit to find both the nice house and the acreage. Welcome to Chattanooga!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga