Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 10:45 AM

12 posts, read 21,652 times

Advertisements

My family is moving to the Chattanooga area. Any advice on neighborhoods. We have school-age children and would work in Chattanooga. We want neighbors who are friendly and outgoing. We also would prefer to buy land and build our own home. We are currently considering Red Bank, but I'm having trouble finding much information. Any help on Red Bank or any other considerations. Think . . . Mayberry meets Wisteria Lane. If you saw Runaway Bride with Julia Roberts, that's the kind of town we would like. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 11:23 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,896,313 times
E.C. : Hello , WELCOME. Red Bank is the section / town north of the North Shore of city of Chattanooga. Also Lipton City is just to the east going to the river shore. Prior yarn MILL just closed.. Very expensive development there called ENCLAVE..Close to the modern Tennis complex stadium at the boat launch..
Red Bank has the St Jude school / church.. Just to the north is HIXSON, rt #153 area where all the shopping malls are located.. I dont think one would fiind any land to build in that region...Further north to SODDY or Middle Valley could still find a building lot.. Do you seek FIVE acres ,like to keep a horse.?
Some sections of Red bank can be quite steep for a driveway, as it is near
the base of Cumberland Plateau , or Walden ridge , going up to Signal Mtn.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:33 PM

There is actually land for sale in Red Bank and it is relatively flat in the area we are researching. My famiily would only like an acre or even less, but my sister's family would like at least three acres. No horses or other farm animals. Maybe a dog. If you know the area well and can give us some good ideas of where to look on a day trip from Birmingham, it would be so helpful. We don't want to be in a rural area, but we do like people with that "mind set." We want friendly, landback neighbors who speak with you and enjoy their neighborhood. We want a good school system with good kids. We would love a close-knit community with a nice downtown area and parks.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:52 PM

611 posts, read 2,007,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by embracethechaos View Post
My family is moving to the Chattanooga area. Any advice on neighborhoods. We have school-age children and would work in Chattanooga. We want neighbors who are friendly and outgoing. We also would prefer to buy land and build our own home. We are currently considering Red Bank, but I'm having trouble finding much information. Any help on Red Bank or any other considerations. Think . . . Mayberry meets Wisteria Lane. If you saw Runaway Bride with Julia Roberts, that's the kind of town we would like. Thanks so much.
Red Bank is very very inexpensive. I would not compare it to the Runaway Bride.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:13 PM

Hi, RiverView. Does that mean the houses are rundown and the land is not that great? Does it also mean that it doesn't have that same sense of community that we are looking for?

I'm also researching Cleveland, but I'm not sure if it is further out that we want to go. We have family in Manchester/Murfreesboro. If we have to take the I-24 loop down and back up, that may take longer than we'd like. We're a little unsure of any highways or good roads that take you across the state without getting on the interstate system.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by embracethechaos View Post
Hi, RiverView. Does that mean the houses are rundown and the land is not that great? Does it also mean that it doesn't have that same sense of community that we are looking for?

I'm also researching Cleveland, but I'm not sure if it is further out that we want to go. We have family in Manchester/Murfreesboro. If we have to take the I-24 loop down and back up, that may take longer than we'd like. We're a little unsure of any highways or good roads that take you across the state without getting on the interstate system.
Well RB is trying to reinvent themselves right now. There are lots of very old homes that could use TLC. There are some neighborhoods that people seek out but RB has a pretty small footprint. It's also very hilly. Ironically it's a great location. Literally minutes from downtown and interstate access.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:44 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,067,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverView View Post
Well RB is trying to reinvent themselves right now. There are lots of very old homes that could use TLC. There are some neighborhoods that people seek out but RB has a pretty small footprint. It's also very hilly. Ironically it's a great location. Literally minutes from downtown and interstate access.

What about the schools in Red Bank?

Old 04-19-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead_vol View Post
What about the schools in Red Bank?
Here is the 2010 Report Card

http://www.hcde.org/media/2010-ayptc...ary-public.pdf

Old 04-19-2012, 02:37 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,067,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverView View Post

Private...

Where do the kids from Normal go to high school?

Old 04-20-2012, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead_vol View Post
Private...

Where do the kids from Normal go to high school?
The link was private?? I found it on Google. Not sure who gave me the Super Secret Squirrel Key .

I can' speak for all of the N Park kids but most of the kids I know go to one of the privates after N Park. If they are truly zones for N Park and choose to stay with public education the current zoning sends them to Red Bank. Since N Park is a magnet school and some kids are there because of the lottery system I guess they go to what ever high school they are zoned for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga