Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 08:02 AM

65 posts, read 167,697 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a major van lines that will pack, store and move my things. Anyone move down from NYC recently and have a good one??
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 12:05 PM

2 posts, read 5,910 times
When are you planning to move? How long will you require storage? And, Why are you interested in a "major van line?"

Old 05-07-2010, 02:35 PM

1,076 posts, read 2,380,303 times
I'd like to get some insight on this as well. We will be move from Florida, and have to move everything. I dont want to lift a finger after doing it twice, and filling up where we now live. No thank you. I prefer the "That goes there, that box is for the kitchen" lol. I dont care if its a major van line, or someone off craigslist, but I would like to know their insured if they wreck the truck with all my valuables in it on the way up.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:10 PM

701 posts, read 1,436,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctoncsoon View Post
I am looking for a major van lines that will pack, store and move my things. Anyone move down from NYC recently and have a good one??
Thanks
We used Clancy Moving two years ago. They are associated with United Van Lines. Bid was competitive and they were easy to deal with. I believe they have offices in Manhattan and Westchester.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:31 PM

628 posts, read 2,084,490 times
When I moved from Brooklyn to Charlotte several years ago, I used Plycon and they were great. I do not have a bad thing to say about them. They were on time, everything was inventoried, packaged etc. Everything arrived safely and intact. Plycon Transportation Group

Old 05-11-2010, 10:25 AM

847 posts, read 1,357,033 times
I have been trying to find a good moving company as well. Every time I think I find a good one, I stumble across horror stories and the company once I do a little digging. I don't want to get ripped off or have my things wrecked.

I will have a limited window to move and things will have to go smooth or it will be really bad.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:06 AM

76 posts, read 148,506 times
Years ago I worked for a moving company so I have some insight. I would stick with a company that is allied with a national company United, Bekins, Mayflower etc. All of these companies have to have good business practices to maintain their affiliation. Example when we moved from our previous address and had all of our goods moved to Charlotte we had a Bekin's agent come and estimate. We agreed on a price based on house hold weight. We insured the valuables. The long distance Bekins van lines showed up at our door inventoried and packed all items. When we got to Charlotte we were told they were off on the estimate by over 3500lbs or 50% more than the original weight of 5400lbs. We had a price guarantee that if the job was misquoted at most it would cost us 10% more. The moving company tried to bill us for almost double our contracted price. The guarantee meant we paid about $350 more than what we originally thought which of course made me unhappy but an estimate is just an estimate. I do think there was some shadiness with the carrier that moved my goods. I worked for the agent that estimated the job so I knew he wasn't going to mess up on his end. When I called him about what had happened he was livid. There is no way he was off on an estimate by that much. Over 30 years in the business estimating jobs but again the guarantee saved me

They base their price on weight. For a long distance move handled by a national carrier they weigh the vehicle when it leaves the yard and they weigh it again once it's loaded. These weigh tickets should be stamped and metered to insure an accurate reading. Also get a guarantee and get it in writing.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:25 AM

847 posts, read 1,357,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadof2many View Post
Years ago I worked for a moving company so I have some insight. I would stick with a company that is allied with a national company United, Bekins, Mayflower etc. All of these companies have to have good business practices to maintain their affiliation. Example when we moved from our previous address and had all of our goods moved to Charlotte we had a Bekin's agent come and estimate. We agreed on a price based on house hold weight. We insured the valuables. The long distance Bekins van lines showed up at our door inventoried and packed all items. When we got to Charlotte we were told they were off on the estimate by over 3500lbs or 50% more than the original weight of 5400lbs. We had a price guarantee that if the job was misquoted at most it would cost us 10% more. The moving company tried to bill us for almost double our contracted price. The guarantee meant we paid about $350 more than what we originally thought which of course made me unhappy but an estimate is just an estimate. I do think there was some shadiness with the carrier that moved my goods. I worked for the agent that estimated the job so I knew he wasn't going to mess up on his end. When I called him about what had happened he was livid. There is no way he was off on an estimate by that much. Over 30 years in the business estimating jobs but again the guarantee saved me

They base their price on weight. For a long distance move handled by a national carrier they weigh the vehicle when it leaves the yard and they weigh it again once it's loaded. These weigh tickets should be stamped and metered to insure an accurate reading. Also get a guarantee and get it in writing.
That is some good insight. How can I find a true moving company and not just a broker that will contract the work out to someone else? From what I have been reading, going through a 3rd party is where a ton of these bad stories have came from.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:33 PM

285 posts, read 803,144 times
we used humboldt (united) from Long Island to waxhaw. They were very good, courteous and neat

Old 05-11-2010, 10:49 PM

76 posts, read 148,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wevie View Post
That is some good insight. How can I find a true moving company and not just a broker that will contract the work out to someone else? From what I have been reading, going through a 3rd party is where a ton of these bad stories have came from.
Most Movers that are affiliated with agents Run Local and Long Distance Local guys run local and do some long distance.

My friend used the same mover I did and the local guys moved him down here. I used the same company and they used Bekins Van Lines to move me. Same pricing structure. Most long distance are independents and that is all they do. Once they arrive in a city they stop at the agent to pick up day help. We used to like it when they came in since they would pay better than the boss. Unless you ask the company specifically whether or not they themselves would be doing the transporting you would more than likely end up with a long distance driver. The gents that moved us were from Delaware. In the end it is based on logistics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte