Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 11:37 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,424,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staylor View Post
So it's safe at night? The other post made me a little nervous because I plan on going to restaurants or bars at night and most likely walking there, I suppose if that's possible. I'm not familiar with the area, just assumed there would be things to do around there.

And thanks for the reply!!!
Uptown Charlotte is pretty safe. Always a lot of ppl out and about, cops on bikes, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 11:48 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,451,484 times
Quote:
So it's safe at night? The other post made me a little nervous because I plan on going to restaurants or bars at night and most likely walking there.
FYI- Exit 6 isn't uptown. It's Billy Graham/South Tryon (6A) or Woodlawn Rd(6B)

Old 06-12-2007, 11:55 AM

97 posts, read 369,840 times
thank you all for your kind responses. This incident definitely did not stop us from wanting to move here. We visited several community, close to Ballantyne area, it's called Stone Creek, the builder is Centex, (if you go on to centexhomes.com and check out area 8-12), we were told this area has the best schools in Charlotte. They just built a shopping Mall last year and so many new things going on. I love Charlotte!! and look forward to come. Thank you all for being here and hear me complaint

Old 06-12-2007, 12:32 PM

509 posts, read 1,802,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staylor View Post
So it's safe at night? The other post made me a little nervous because I plan on going to restaurants or bars at night and most likely walking there, I suppose if that's possible. I'm not familiar with the area, just assumed there would be things to do around there.

And thanks for the reply!!!
Uptown is where you want to be if you want to be able to walk to bars and restaurants. And yes, it's pretty safe - usually plenty of people around.

GT

Old 06-12-2007, 12:44 PM

56 posts, read 221,215 times
Default New Homeowner

Hey Sbbi98. I from NY also and just purchased a home in the Charlotte area. During my visit i stayed at the Wingate Hotel I-77 exit 5. The benefit of Hotels in this area is that they are centrally located giving you easy access to North Charlotte(Huntersvile, Concord) and South Charlotte (Ballantyne,Waxhaw, Matthews etc) given you ample opportunity to visit various subdivisions in a short matter of time. In just 3 days i visited just about every subdivision in the most desirable neighborhoods from north to south. Look into Brandon Oaks in Union County family friendly with numerous northeners. Almost bought in Brandon Oaks, but i finally settled on the Reserve in Fort Mill,SC. Brandon Oaks was definitely my second choice.

Old 06-12-2007, 05:31 PM

825 posts, read 2,819,312 times
Thumbs up Nice hotel in S. Charlotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaborti View Post
What hotel did you stay in? I will be comming in 2 weeks and don't want to stay there
Thanks
Jaborti - When my parents visit, they stay at the Residence Inn on Piper Station Drive. It's right off 485 and has convenient access to shops, restaurants.

If you're flying in, this hotel is about 20-25 minutes from the airport, longer perhaps depending on traffic and your exact route.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-12-2007, 05:36 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,953,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbbi98 View Post
Hi All,
Just want to share my Charlotte story with those of you who will visit here in the near future.

We arrived here on Friday night and spend Saturday at Lake Norman, what a pretty place! People here are super nice. We looked at several new construction on Sunday and they are amazing. We can't wait to move here. We saw the centex homes, shea homes and troll brothers homes in union. Wow, is all I can say...

But on Monday morning, as we are ready to get going, we found out our car has been broken into (smashed driver side window, since they cann't open the lock, the lock has been damaged as well) and the GPS that we borrowed from a friend has been stolen. We stayed at Sheraton which is off route 77-exit 6A. We reported to the lobby and was told the hotel is not responsible for any vechile damage and stolen property, because these are too common in Charlotte and there's not enough police to come out here to investigate the scene. We called the police and got the case #, and contact our own insurance company. We have to drive the car to an autobody shop to repair. What an experience. We are coming from NY and we never had these issues back at home. Can any one give us any suggestions as to if the hotel is responsible for this or not since the car was parked at the hotels parking lot (they had a sign stating the owner takes all the risks), but the room safe is not working (told them to fix it on Friday and never fixed it until the incident!)

For those of you who plan to stay at this hotel, please think twice before you make the reservation, the room safe is not working, the desk lamp has no light bulb, the ac is not funcioning well (room temp was 82, and after 1 hour of ac, the temp. reduced to 81.5). So many things are broken here, the maids do not change the beddding after I left a change card on the bed... so on and so on... But, I do love Charlotte/NC and can't wait to move here...

Ok, got to go, talk to you guys soon.

Glad you got up to Lake Norman, but you made a mistake staying in that area. You should have stayed up at the Lake.

Old 06-12-2007, 05:40 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,953,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
There is no police protection in Charlotte. Our car was stolen and they never even came out here. When it was recovered, they dragged their feet about processing and releasing it so we had to eat an extra $150 storage fee.

When someone tried to break into our home at 3:00 am. It took 25 minutes and 3 calls to 911 before someone came.

What neighborhood was that break in?

Old 06-13-2007, 02:35 AM

755 posts, read 2,492,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
What neighborhood was that break in?
The Crossings - near Carowinds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte