Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 07:17 AM

192 posts, read 687,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaborti View Post
What hotel did you stay in? I will be comming in 2 weeks and don't want to stay there
Thanks
Depending on where you want to be in Charlotte, I'd say stay in the Ballantyne area in S. Charlotte or the Huntersville area in No Charlotte or maybe the University area.

Maybe some of the others on this forum can be a little more specific.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 07:19 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,021,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamrasc View Post
It has been reported on the news recently that thieves are punching out windows and stealing gps units. Apparently this is happening a lot.
It is quick and easy nothing to disconnect, when you stop put the GPS in the glove compartment and the charging cradle, nothing like advertising that you have one.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:30 AM

57 posts, read 298,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamrasc View Post
It has been reported on the news recently that thieves are punching out windows and stealing gps units. Apparently this is happening a lot.
It's happening all over, not just Charlotte. I'm still in NY, and we have had break-ins to steal GPS units on and off for the last few years. Recently they caught a guy selling stolen GPS units on eBay. Once of the victims found his own GPS unit on eBay!
Atlanta News and Weather, CBS46.com, WGCL | Police: eBay seller arrested after NY man finds his stolen GPS device for sale on eBay (broken link)

Old 06-12-2007, 07:39 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,913,250 times
Thank you leavingNY, I was going to say the same thing. The stealing of GPS is a nationwide problem. As groove said, I would never stay in that area personally. But the newcomers could not have known. I am very sorry about your experience.

And yes, the hotel is not responsible for damage to vehicles on their property. That is widely known. As someone who does a lot of business travel I have learned that and take everything out of the car that could be tempting for thugs.

As the PP said, stay in Southpark next time. We hope this did not ruin your view of Charlotte but just remember: this is a major city and things like this can happen so take precautions.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:30 AM

3 posts, read 14,650 times
My family and I just got back from Charlotte and will be moving to the Ballantyne area in July. We stayed at the Staybridge Inn and Suites in Ballantyne and had a great experience. The hotel is beautiful and the surrounding area seemed very, very safe. I would suggest moving to this area to anyone who is considering moving to Charlotte. We are from Long Island (Ronkonkoma) and have researched our move to Charlotte for over a year. I have children ages 18, 16 and 3, so many things had to be considered. The Ballantyne area is located within 15 minutes of all three schools, and the shopping and layout of the area is absolutely beautiful.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:08 AM

142 posts, read 608,321 times
Speaking as a police officer, Smash and grab vehicle burglaries are an every day occurence in every city in South Florida where I live. Especially at fitness centers, pre-schools, parks and hotels. Never leave valuables in sight especially womens purses. The rise in this type of crime is because of identity theft. They want your id, credit cards, ss card, and check book. Dont put your purse in your trunk after u park either. The theives are already in the parking lot watching you place it there. This type of crime occurs in every city accross the country so PLEASE DONT LEAVE YOUR VALUABLES IN YOUR VEHICLE

As for the Hotel being responsible for the theft, Im no attoney but I wouldnt think so. Although, If they are having alot of vehicle burglaries and not warning there guests about it, there may be some liability there. Call that citys police deparment and check the hotels history for vehicle burglaries and contact an attorney.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:19 AM

17 posts, read 88,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
I would not stay at hotel anywhere in that area. I work near there and it's ok during the day, but nighttime is completely different.
I am planning a trip over labor day and staying at the Hilton Center City on East Third Street - is that a bad area? If so - what areas/hotels are a safe to be?

Old 06-12-2007, 11:30 AM

509 posts, read 1,802,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staylor View Post
I am planning a trip over labor day and staying at the Hilton Center City on East Third Street - is that a bad area? If so - what areas/hotels are a safe to be?
Hilton Center City is in a great location - I can see it from my office right now

Old 06-12-2007, 11:31 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,424,271 times
The Sheraton in question used to be an independent. It just changed recenty. It started with an "M"....Montgomery or something like that.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:32 AM

17 posts, read 88,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlTravels View Post
Hilton Center City is in a great location - I can see it from my office right now
So it's safe at night? The other post made me a little nervous because I plan on going to restaurants or bars at night and most likely walking there, I suppose if that's possible. I'm not familiar with the area, just assumed there would be things to do around there.

And thanks for the reply!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte