Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 08:17 AM

310 posts, read 1,699,853 times

Advertisements

I'm looking into sales/customer service jobs (inbound/outbound phone work) -- Anyone here know about locations of call centers in Charlotte that are easily accessible by public transportation, without having to walk along a highway/street with no sidewalks after getting off at the bus stop? (I don't mind walking, just would like a safe situation & a sidewalk!) From what I've seen, the location of the call centers here is not practical for someone like me without a car.

I saw that the Allstate Insurance call center near the University (on the #11 N. Tryon bus route) is hiring, looking for inbound/outbound customer service reps. While I'm not thrilled about the prospect of taking the #11 bus (very crowded & goes thru some dangerous high-crime areas), I'd put up with taking it for a good job. However, to get to this call center location, I'd have to get off at the bus stop and walk along a busy road (N. Tryon) where there's no sidewalks-- if it rained, would basically be walking in the mud! Also looked into working at the Time-Warner Cable call center (West Charlotte) but again, that would mean walking at least 15 minutes along a highway with no sidewalks!

I'm aware that Charlotte is not the most pedestrian-friendly city and in fact, there seems to be an almost hostile atmosphere here for those who don't drive/don't have cars & have to take public transportation & walk. But still hoping there's some call centers in better locations for someone like me who's qualified to work there but doesn't drive. Anyone know about these? I currently reside in the Southpark area near Southpark Mall-- any call centers located there or in Uptown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 09:13 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,017,960 times
Isn't the Allstate call center on McCullough near Harris? Couldn't you get off the Bus at Tryon and McCullough (the intersection with showmars) and just walk down McCullough with sidewalks most if not all of the way?

I think Windstream has a call center on Monroe Road near Matthews on the 27 line.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:35 AM

578 posts, read 2,598,310 times
Sprint's call center is off of South Tryon and 485. I've dropped my husband's car off there and taken the bus when mine was in for service. Not a bad bus ride.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:52 AM

Coped, thanks for responding. Yes, there's sidewalks on N. Tryon at the intersection of McCullough Dr and there's a traffic light there too. The problem is that where the actual bus stops are (on N. Tryon St either before or after McCullough Dr, there's no bus stop right at McCullough Dr), there's NO sidewalks at either bus stop! (great planning, right?) So I'd have to walk along N. Tryon for quite a while in the grass/dirt/mud before getting near McCullough where there's a traffic light to cross the street to where there are sidewalks! Already spoke to CATS Transit about the possibility of the bus driver letting me off closer to McCullough Dr where there's an actual sidewalk instead of at the bus stops further away where there's NO sidewalks. Was told it's up to the individual driver. (Seems to be a pattern in much of Charlotte: bus stop = no sidewalk, just dirt!)

Plus it would take me more than 90 minutes by bus each way to get to the Allstate call center location. So don't think I can consider working there (also have NO interest in moving to/living closer to that area near the University & being stuck taking the #11 bus all the time!) And guess what? Just saw that the shift Allstate's hiring for runs from 5pm till 1:30am, have to be available both weekdays & weekends (typically, new employees are stuck with the worst shifts.) Would be too late for me to to catch a bus at the end of that shift anyway. And even if it were a little earlier in the evening so I could catch a bus home from that call center, wouldn't risk my life walking 15 minutes to a N. Tryon bus stop in that area late at night! It's not that I mind working evenings-- not at all! For over 10 yrs, I worked 2nd shift evening shifts at call centers in downtown Buffalo NY, waited for buses at night as late as 11pm or midnight (even during winters when it was cold/snowy/windy, at least there were sidewalks!)

Still interested in finding out about other call centers which would make more sense for me to get to by bus from the Southpark area where I live (very close to Southpark Mall.) Hoping for more replies. Thanks.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:17 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,017,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie09 View Post
And even if it were a little earlier in the evening so I could catch a bus home from that call center, wouldn't risk my life walking 15 minutes to a N. Tryon bus stop in that area late at night! It's not that I mind working evenings-- not at all! For over 10 yrs, I worked 2nd shift evening shifts at call centers in downtown Buffalo NY, waited for buses at night as late as 11pm or midnight (even during winters when it was cold/snowy/windy, at least there were sidewalks!)
I lived just on the other side of Harris from that area without a car from 2003 - 2007. Walked around at night, never had a problem. There are also some new apartment complexes basically right next to Allstate where the walk would be minimal. It's not the best place to be without a car, but it;s not the worst either. The 11 is definitely not the most pleasant route, but I never had a problem on it. I understand your preference for the area you're living in now, though.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:34 PM

2 posts, read 9,253 times
Wachovia/Wells Fargo CIC on Harris. Bus routes go to the building and drop you at the front door.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Wachovia/Wells Fargo CIC on Harris. Bus routes go to the building and drop you at the front door
Address for this? or exact cross-streets? (there's many Charlotte streets w/ "Harris", which one?) Thanks.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:12 PM

769 posts, read 2,219,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie09 View Post
Address for this? or exact cross-streets? (there's many Charlotte streets w/ "Harris", which one?) Thanks.
It's a dedicated bus, runs from Uptown out to the CIC center. Check the 81X on the CATS site. I used to ride it - it really only stops at Wachovia offices. The downside is that you do have to get Uptown to catch it, meant over an hour on the bus each way for me, and you can't catch it at the Transportation Center, you have to catch it at Wachovia One or at the corner down from the Hilton (can't remember the cross street off the top of my head right now). And it pretty much runs only during "normal" business hours.

The 54X also runs out there, and I believe it's the 27 that's the local route that runs out in that area also.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:22 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,181,346 times
Verizon announced about 100 new call center openings in their call center (formerly Alltel call center) off of Monroe Road in Matthews.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:53 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,652,237 times
OnStar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte