Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2010, 06:45 PM

14 posts, read 28,425 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I've made a couple of posts about our possible move to the North Charlotte area. We went to NC last week for my husband's job interview, he was already offered the job, and we are anticipating a move in April. While we were down there we saw some of Charlotte, Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson, Concord, and Mooresville.

We have decided to find an apartment for the first 6 months to a year so we can spend some time learning the area before we purchase a house. However, we are thinking that Davidson would probably be the best fit for our family.

Unfortunately, the only luxury apartments in Davidson have no openings for our time frame. We are pretty well deciding between the Fairways at Birkdale (across from Birkdale Village) in Huntersville or Abberly Green in Mooresville. My husband's job will be in Mooresville and I am leaning toward trying for a position at the hospital in Concord. Does anyone have any ideas of which complex would be better?

I am certainly willling to take a bit of a commute for a position if necessary. It looks like the Mooresville hospital is quite small and the Huntersville hospital has rare RN openings. How is the area around the two main campuses of Presbyterian and CMC? It definitely looks like there are some rougher areas right outside of Charlotte. Having grown up in the sticks, I have no street smarts whatsoever. Would it be a safe commute from Huntersville to either of those hospitals?

How is the area around UNCC? Would it be a reasonable commute to the University Campus of CMC? In our short 3 day trip, that is one area I wanted to see that didn't get to.

Thankfully, this new position will give my husband quite a salary increase, so I will be able to be a bit picky when getting a job. But I will still need one within the first year of our move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 06:56 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,795,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganRN View Post
Hi,
I've made a couple of posts about our possible move to the North Charlotte area. We went to NC last week for my husband's job interview, he was already offered the job, and we are anticipating a move in April. While we were down there we saw some of Charlotte, Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson, Concord, and Mooresville.

We have decided to find an apartment for the first 6 months to a year so we can spend some time learning the area before we purchase a house. However, we are thinking that Davidson would probably be the best fit for our family.

Unfortunately, the only luxury apartments in Davidson have no openings for our time frame. We are pretty well deciding between the Fairways at Birkdale (across from Birkdale Village) in Huntersville or Abberly Green in Mooresville. My husband's job will be in Mooresville and I am leaning toward trying for a position at the hospital in Concord. Does anyone have any ideas of which complex would be better?

I am certainly willling to take a bit of a commute for a position if necessary. It looks like the Mooresville hospital is quite small and the Huntersville hospital has rare RN openings. How is the area around the two main campuses of Presbyterian and CMC? It definitely looks like there are some rougher areas right outside of Charlotte. Having grown up in the sticks, I have no street smarts whatsoever. Would it be a safe commute from Huntersville to either of those hospitals?

How is the area around UNCC? Would it be a reasonable commute to the University Campus of CMC? In our short 3 day trip, that is one area I wanted to see that didn't get to.

Thankfully, this new position will give my husband quite a salary increase, so I will be able to be a bit picky when getting a job. But I will still need one within the first year of our move.

Congrats on the new job! (I'm guessing it's at Lowes Headquarters?)

CMC and Presby Main near uptown Charlotte are in nice areas, though of course crime can and does happen everywhere these days. Your biggest issue would be that commute back to Davidson every day. Personally, I wouldn't want to do it, but I hate any traffic. You might not mind it, and it wouldn't be as bad as trying to get all the way back to Mooresville.

Northeast Medical in Concord is nice, but your commute would basically be about 20 miles of 2 laned roads (mostly hwy 73), which can get crowded because so many subdivision are off of hwy 73. Again, maybe that wouldn't bother you like it would bother me

I think your best option is if you can get a job at CMC/University hospital. The commute from Davidson to the University is better than any of your other options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte