Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 02:09 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,498,442 times

Advertisements

I am considering joining the YMCA.

Who here is a member? What do you like about it? What do you do there?

I would really like to get in shape and work on getting back to pre-kids weight and don't want a place where everyone is already in shape.

It is also about 9 miles away and I am trying to figure out if it is worth the drive.

Thanks!,

Dawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 02:16 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,839,995 times
I am just now getting into the "Y" scene. If you like to sign your kids up for sports etc this is the time to get in a little cheaper than normal.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:20 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,498,442 times
Thanks. We actually aren't too into the sports Y thing. My boys are golfers so that is what we primarily do and the Y doesn't have that.

But I do know my boys would love the pools/water parks this summer.

Now, what do you mean by the Y scene? Are you meeting folks there? Making friends, what????

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
I am just now getting into the "Y" scene. If you like to sign your kids up for sports etc this is the time to get in a little cheaper than normal.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:27 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,839,995 times
No my oldest is coming up on 6 years old so before that we was not to involved as he gets older and wants to do more we are finding this is a good scene for us.

Old 04-16-2007, 03:06 PM

348 posts, read 430,996 times
I've been a member for 2 1/2 years. We pay $80/month for a family of four. What we've discovered, is that we mostly use the outdoor pool in the summer months, and then don't really go back. So, i recently dropped out (since our new house has a pool).

But the pools are great at the Y's! Slides, fountains and all other sorts of cool stuff. Doesn't really get crowded, not even on weekends. We primarily went to the Siskey Y, and to the Ballantyne one ocassionally. There is, however, lots of chair hogging with towels on chairs that aren't occuppied by people which is really annoying.

There's plenty of aerobic type classes, yoga, etc. and they provide care for little ones while mom and dad work out. There's weight training on terrific equipment, and indoor lap pool and lots of activities for kids to hang out, such as air hockey, foosball, etc.

If you're the type that consistently goes, I recommend it. But it can get pricey each month if you don't go. [I'm sorry to say i'm one them that shirked going often enough!]

:-)

Old 04-16-2007, 03:35 PM

113 posts, read 443,454 times
Default The Y is a good deal if...

...if you use it. Our family has been member of the Siskey Y for 8-9 years. We are a generally atheletic bunch, and have gotten our use out of it. The 80/mo allows entry to any of the area Y's, my wife sometimes used the Downtown Y when she was with CharMeck's central office, a few blocks away. The pools are outstanding-- and if you exercise regularly you will meet people there as well. And you won't feel out of place a bit over weight. My teenage girls enjoy the kickboxing and other atheletic aerobics. My sons used the weight room regularly. We've gotten our money's worth, it's a good organization with good people. The Ballantyne Y has an even better pool! Plus they have local summer camps for the youngest. Now's a good month to join...
If you try it put into your schedules for a month or two, right from the start. It will take a change in habits. Good Luck!

Old 04-16-2007, 07:05 PM

240 posts, read 1,034,002 times
The YMCA's in the area are generally very nice. I mainly use the Steele Creek Y before I go to work. The equipment is pretty modern and well kept, and there's a mix of people at all different fitness levels. I don't think anybody feels out of place there. I've been to the Morrison Y in Ballantyne, and it's very nice too. Much larger than Steele Creek, and it's expanding (I think they'll have more basketball courts and racquetball when they're done). The Ballantyne Village Y is a small, adult-only fitness center. They have very nice equipment, but it's more of a quick workout place than a "spend an afternoon with the family" place.

I think the YMCA system here is great, and it's a worthwhile investment in your health. They only require 30 days written notice to cancel, so it's pretty much risk free too, especially with no enrollment fee.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:10 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,721,537 times
So, does that mean if you sign up at one YMCA, you can use ANY in the area, or are you confined to the one you signed up with?

Old 04-16-2007, 07:14 PM

240 posts, read 1,034,002 times
You can do either... a single club membership, or a "metro" membership. I chose the metro so I could use any Y in Charlotte. It's a little more expensive than the single club membership, but worth it for the flexibility.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:32 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,805,696 times
I'm a member. I like it, but I do feel they're a little on the expensive side. They are constantly upgrading and renovating. The classes are great, but tend to get crowded at times. My wife has experienced a few times when the "Soccer Moms" were mean to her and didn't like the fact that she was "in their regular spot" and told her to move. There are cheaper places to workout, so you have to decided what the "Y experience" is worth to you. I do know that they will offer "financial assistance" to people who qualify, you have to ask at the membership desk and then fill out the application and provide the necessary documents. I do like the fact that the Ballantyne Village Y is restriced to ages 18 & up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte