Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 12:52 PM

174 posts, read 486,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Would the OP like me to get my violin out? This sounds so sad.
I know. Sorry. No violins necessary.

Another bomb on this otherwise excellent greenway is that Elm Lane is totally inaccessible to walkers or bikers, utterly cutting off the nearby neighborhoods on Endhaven and Elm from accessing the greenway. Simply laying a sidewalk down one side of Elm from Bevington to Stonecrest would change everything for the better. Neighbors could walk/bike to the greenway (and to Trader Joes!), not have to bring their cars at all, and the parking problem would probably go away. As it is, Elm Lane, with no shoulder, is a dangerous victim of poor urban planning.

One thing I've come to hate about CLT (unfortunately) is the traffic. It's worse than both other bigger cities where I've lived. Some mornings, it reminds me of LA surface streets! The sprawl simply must have taken city planners by surprise.

The people I've spoken to at CLT Dept of Trans have been very nice, but even tho my taxes are very high they have no money to take these last steps from "pretty good" to "perfect."

Is that violins I hear...?

MC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 01:01 PM

171 posts, read 357,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
If I'm a business owner, and I have a ton of people parking in the lot who aren't patronizing...not to mention giving passersby the illusion of a place to crowded to shop in...I'm having all of ya towed.
Word to your mother.

I hate deadbeat users that crowd parking lots intended for something else. I also hate people who go to coffee shops and get one coffee, then loiter with their laptop all day long, in addition to people that go to bookstores, never buy anything, at like its their living room, and stay all day reading stuff for free.

But I would never dream to start a thread whining about things like this.

Oh, while I'm at it, I absolutely hate the beggers that sit with their little table, little chair, and coin box outside of EVERY grocery store and Trader Joes and ask you to donate to some cause. I walk into the store, I see you. I know you are there. As I leave, you greet me with some pleasantry and request I donate, as though I somehow missed you sitting there. I hate you, and if I were granted three wishes, I'm confident I'd burn a request to end to this practice for all of time.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:19 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,291,277 times
Actually they are planning to widen Rea road - it's a three year project and is in the design phase.
Rea Road Project (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/City+Engineering/See+Our+Projects/Transportation/Roads/Rea+Road+Project.htm - broken link)

Old 02-21-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Sorry. Didn't mean to eff up your day.

Nothing more to see here.

MC

Old 02-21-2010, 05:34 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggums View Post
Word to your mother.

I hate deadbeat users that crowd parking lots intended for something else. I also hate people who go to coffee shops and get one coffee, then loiter with their laptop all day long, in addition to people that go to bookstores, never buy anything, at like its their living room, and stay all day reading stuff for free.

Oh, while I'm at it, I absolutely hate the beggers that sit with their little table, little chair, and coin box outside of EVERY grocery store and Trader Joes and ask you to donate to some cause. I walk into the store, I see you. I know you are there. As I leave, you greet me with some pleasantry and request I donate, as though I somehow missed you sitting there. I hate you, and if I were granted three wishes, I'm confident I'd burn a request to end to this practice for all of time.
You don't want to start one, just contribute to one?

Old 02-21-2010, 06:57 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Seems to me that patrons of the shops in that complex have a legitimate complaint. Those parking places are for patrons of those businesses, not for folks wishing to walk someplace other than their neighborhood.
I think it is up to the owners of the shops to determine if it is a problem and, if it is within their rights, do something about it.

Is the parking lot so full that people shopping there have no place to park?

Old 02-21-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Is the parking lot so full that people shopping there have no place to park?
I don't wanna whine about it, but yeah.

...MC

Old 02-21-2010, 07:26 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,358,870 times
FWIW I shop at Trader Joe's often, and I have never had a problem parking in the parking lot close to it. I sometimes have to circle for a minute or two but nothing dramatic that makes me not want to come there. There are always people entering and leaving the market.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:28 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,358,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Those parking spaces at the complex where TJ's is located are not public property. They are for patrons - or are supposed to be, lol.

What needs to happen is for the merchants to have the cars towed. I believe they have the right to do that.
Unless they have signs about being towed, then they cannot tow your vehicle.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:41 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post
Unless they have signs about being towed, then they cannot tow your vehicle.
Yep, there must be signs. Charlotte Towing Ordinance (http://www.charmeck.org/NR/rdonlyres/euwsimkjc6x34v4tgptdf4wvii7xejl6sd4cvz2js2tuxrab7r ohiaeudu6eixlt7zguiowljrzceh6bjirgnqnkomg/Towing+Ordinance+Post+7-26-04.pdf - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte