Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 07:37 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,291,861 times

Advertisements

I agree with everyone that Greenway users should not park at TJ's, however it is disconcerting to find all the spots on Bevington taken after having driven several miles to use the Greenway. On a busy weekend, I have found all three greenway entrance parking lots full. I no longer go on weekends because of this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 07:50 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
My initial thought was that city park folks need to be apprised of this situation, but after considering that, it occurs to me that greenways are actually supposed to be connected to the subdivisions that use them. So if folks are not able to get onto the greenway from their own neighborhoods, then it is not the responsibility of the city/county to provide people with parking spaces. The whole POINT of a greenway is walking - not "park and walk."

I have lived in a neighborhood that had miles of greenway that spread out across the town and into the parks . . . and had a marked bike trail intertwined, as well. I never saw anyone need to park a car, and that would have been odd indeed, b/c the folks who used the greenway for walking or the bike trails for biking just accessed the trails from their neighborhood.

Sounds like folks are either not able to access the trails from their neighborhoods or they don't want to walk that far to access the trails. Either way, using a car to access a trail seems counter-intuitive and makes me scratch my head why anyone would even do that.

ETA: Just pulled up the map of that system of greenways and indeed, it seems to have directions to "entrances." And it clearly says there are parking spaces there, which means if you can't access from your neighborhood, you are expected to park at one of those entrances. It says streetside parking is allowed along Bevington. Because it says that, it would imply that cars parked anywhere else would not be legally parked . . . which seems to me would allow merchants to have cars towed if they park in the already crowded lot where TJ's is located.

Last edited by brokensky; 02-21-2010 at 08:04 AM..

Old 02-21-2010, 08:32 AM

171 posts, read 357,364 times
Would the OP like me to get my violin out? This sounds so sad.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:44 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,607,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggums View Post
zing!

Old 02-21-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggums View Post
Seems to me that patrons of the shops in that complex have a legitimate complaint. Those parking places are for patrons of those businesses, not for folks wishing to walk someplace other than their neighborhood.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:53 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,291,861 times
Would love to be able to bike to the Greenway on Rea road coming from the north, but I must say that the section between Colony and 51 is too dangerous (though plenty of people do it). Bike riders sure make the car drivers mad in this section. Someday, they will widen this section with bike lanes.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
Would love to be able to bike to the Greenway on Rea road coming from the north, but I must say that the section between Colony and 51 is too dangerous (though plenty of people do it). Bike riders sure make the car drivers mad in this section. Someday, they will widen this section with bike lanes.
Bikers are so vulnerable here. That traffic makes it nearly impossible to bike. Those who do are taking their lives in their hands, sadly. I don't see the $$$ being available to create biking lanes for a long, long time.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:21 AM

1,311 posts, read 4,680,057 times
I wish we could get to the greenway from our house w/o driving, but it's just too far. We've parked at several entrances, and the one on Bevington is by far where it's the hardest to find a spot. The back parking lot of that shopping center isn't nearly as crowded as the front; maybe the parks dept could get a handful of spots reserved for greenway parking in that back section. Just an idea.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:40 AM

170 posts, read 458,691 times
They should add an access point from the backside of the Ballantyne Corporate Park. There are plenty of open spaces close to the collection pond along 485. Folks parking there would have to walk less than half a mile to join up with the greenway just after the point where it goes underneath the highway.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:25 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,403,877 times
If I'm a business owner, and I have a ton of people parking in the lot who aren't patronizing...not to mention giving passersby the illusion of a place too crowded to shop in...I'm having all of ya towed.

Last edited by BrianH1970; 02-21-2010 at 12:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte