Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 11:42 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,142,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
When I was a kid I had a paper route. You know, old school, on a bike w/ a basket around my neighborhood? And went around knocking on peoples doors to get paid and they ALWAYS tipped me.
Yeah, but you didn't specifically ask them to tip you, did you?

I'm in favor of tipping the paper guy. BUT, I'm very much against soliciting tips in any way, shape or form.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 12:10 PM

777 posts, read 2,567,022 times
The tip for my paper man..."Get the paper here on time and you might get a different tip next year."

So far after 3 years, my tip isn't getting to him (even after said tip was relayed through the VP of circulation on more than one occasion).

Old 12-12-2009, 01:13 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
If my paperperson (guess that is what they're called these days), makes sure that my paper is double wrapped, on time, and lands on the sidewalk or driveway and not on the wet lawn, I appreciate it. I believe my wife tipped $40 last year. That is more than she gives me to drink beer on Tuesday nights. But, it is a personal choice and there is no real obligation to tip anything.

P.S. I am ust kidding about her giving me money. I actually have to steal it out of her purse.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:27 PM

116 posts, read 298,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
If my paperperson (guess that is what they're called these days), makes sure that my paper is double wrapped, on time, and lands on the sidewalk or driveway and not on the wet lawn, I appreciate it. I believe my wife tipped $40 last year. That is more than she gives me to drink beer on Tuesday nights. But, it is a personal choice and there is no real obligation to tip anything.

P.S. I am ust kidding about her giving me money. I actually have to steal it out of her purse.
Better make sure she doesn't come in and read over your shoulder, dude.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:44 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
I just have a problem with a newscarrier blatantly asking for a tip.

If I wanted to tip him I would certainly do so without him having to stick a note and an envelope, for my convenience, in my paper to remind me.
Agreed with the first point. But do you actually pay your carrier directly? The Observer just charges my Visa card the $10 / month or whatever for my Friday-Sunday delivery. Its not like the old days when carriers would collect every month themselves. It seems like the envelope really has more to do with providing a means to provide a tip to your carrier who you never actually interact with. Yes, maybe it could be handled a bit differently, but my guess is that's the reasoning.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:47 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
I didn't realize you could only get the paper on the weekends?!?! I am so switching my service! I could've sworn I read on this board that the Observer didn't have that option?
Its either every day or Friday-Sunday. We have the latter, but mainly because I like my Sunday morning ritual with a cup of coffee and the paper. The Friday & Saturday ones usually go right to the recycle bin.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:16 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,358,870 times
Honestly, I ripped mine up. It's pretty gutsy in my opinion to ask me for a tip when I've had to call the Observer to send me another paper, and it's happened several times. If the next time around I don't have to do that, then maybe I'll do a tip. Sorry but I have a long memory

Old 12-13-2009, 10:12 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ignatowski View Post
Better make sure she doesn't come in and read over your shoulder, dude.
She is in bed with a cold.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:22 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post
Honestly, I ripped mine up. It's pretty gutsy in my opinion to ask me for a tip when I've had to call the Observer to send me another paper, and it's happened several times. If the next time around I don't have to do that, then maybe I'll do a tip. Sorry but I have a long memory
so if your service is perfect for 365 days *maybe* you'll "do a tip"?

lol, I don't think the tip envelope was even for you.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:19 AM

168 posts, read 505,793 times
my newspaper person left a christmas card with her name and address, not nearly as direct as your person, but you get the hint. My paper is alwys on tiome and double bagged when it needs to be so I mailed her a starbucks gift card. Its christmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte