Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 10:15 PM

52 posts, read 140,807 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I have an interview with a financial company next week in Charlotte. I have never been to Charlotte before but I had heard a lot of great things about the city.

I have a few questions though regarding
-Nightlife?
-Shopping?
-Dating Scene?
-Transportation?
-Restaurants?
-Things to do in general?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 11:02 PM

99 posts, read 293,057 times
You might want to be more specific in what you are wanting so that you recieve more detailed answers to your post. Good luck.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:13 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,807,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR007 View Post
Hello everyone,

I have an interview with a financial company next week in Charlotte. I have never been to Charlotte before but I had heard a lot of great things about the city.

I have a few questions though regarding
-Nightlife?
-Shopping?
-Dating Scene?
-Transportation?
-Restaurants?
-Things to do in general?

Thanks.
Nightlife - What nightlife? if you want to compare it with Philadelphia....no comparison...Philly wins...hands down.
Shopping - Not...You have 1 upscale mall and thats it...Which is Southpark Mall. Also there is Concord Mills for Outlet Shopping(it's OK, but not all that...there are much better outlet shopping areas)
Transportation? -CLT really does not have a good transportation system in place..We do have 1 railline=1route...Bus systems is sketchy at best... Having been to Philly, you guys have more of a dependable/concrete system in place.
Dating Scene - Can't really speak on it...The dating scene can be what you make of it.
Things to do in general - AGain....Philly wins hands downs...You guys have a cultural art scene that is superior to Charlotte in everyway....Also Philly is way bigger as far as Diveristy is concerned...not saying Charlotte is not diverse...but you guys have a way bigger "melting pot"..
I suggest taking a weekend to come down and see what it has to offer...

Old 10-05-2009, 07:29 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,736,355 times
stay in philly. trust me. maybe even consider nyc, jersey city or dc before you move from philly to charlotte.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:12 AM

Wow, it is really that bad?

Either way, if I do get a job down there, I will be moving down there because there are no good jobs in DC, NYC, Philly, or the entire northeast. So I am just going wherever I can.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:26 AM

841 posts, read 1,432,854 times
I have no idea why everyone decided to make you think Charlotte has nothing to offer, unless they believe that they may instead get offered the job you turn down.
Look, Charlotte's not Philly, and that can be both good and bad. But then again, Philly's not LA, and LA's not Dallas. Get the point?
I think you'll find plenty in Charlotte to like, not the least of which is employed in a down economy. Right now people will take a job where they can find it.
Many of the "haters" on this board are in Charlotte but pine for the "old days" of Jersey, NYC, or LA, where they apparently loved life but had to move. These types hate on any place that isn't their "home." At this point, I am going to resist the urge to tell them that they are free to move back, because if that were the case, they'd be gone by now.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:31 AM

I been to college in Philly, and it is okay at best.

Every city has its ups and downs. I would like to know what this city has to offer for a young professional. Thats all.

If you are going to post things like how Philly or NYC is better, I really dont want to hear it.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:33 AM

701 posts, read 1,429,385 times
Charlotte is a great place to raise a family, but if you are a young single person looking for diversity, culture, and excitement I think NYC, Boston, Philly and DC are much better choices (especially as you yourself are from the Northeast.)

Old 10-05-2009, 09:39 AM

Where do many of the young profressionals live at?

What good restaurants are there as well?

Old 10-05-2009, 09:42 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR007 View Post
I been to college in Philly, and it is okay at best.

Every city has its ups and downs. I would like to know what this city has to offer for a young professional. Thats all.

If you are going to post things like how Philly or NYC is better, I really dont want to hear it.
I am kinda discouraged with the responses you are getting.

You need a job. If you get a job here, come on down. There is plenty of nightlife and plenty of shopping. Lots of restaurants - locally owned as well as chains.

There are also lots of outdoor activities.

If I knew exactly the type of thing you are looking for, I would help more with suggestions.

Go for the job. Anyone who can land a job right out of college needs to grab it and if the city isn't perfect, at least it is the beginning of a career.

It can't be all that bad here - we have had literally tens of thousands move here from the NE, especially NY and NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte