Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 01:47 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,687,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
I can't believe they are going to create a new hs that will be 80% white and they will change North Meck from 63/25 (white/african american) to 37/46. How do you pronounce Hough? Rhymes with "ruff" ?
The HS is being created for the Davidison, Mooresviile, NE Huntersville, Cornelius areas that are closest to the lake and pull from the Bailey IB Middle School. This will be a CMS school and will boost the number of dwindling decent good CMS schools. By count today, the really good CMS schools include Providence, Audrey Kell, and Myers Park. This will add a 4th.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
I can't believe they are going to create a new hs that will be 80% white and they will change North Meck from 63/25 (white/african american) to 37/46. How do you pronounce Hough? Rhymes with "ruff" ?
In 2-3 years time, this school will show up on Newsweek's rankings, and CMS will congratulate itself. I know several (and I mean several) highly educated, high income corporate folks who live in this area.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:56 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
The HS is being created for the Davidison, Mooresviile, NE Huntersville, Cornelius areas that are closest to the lake and pull from the Bailey IB Middle School. This will be a CMS school and will boost the number of dwindling decent good CMS schools. By count today, the really good CMS schools include Providence, Audrey Kell, and Myers Park. This will add a 4th.
Uh, dude, Mooresville is in IREDELL county, not Mecklenburg This school will not serve Mooresville. Please be careful to give accurate info only.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Uh, dude, Mooresville is in IREDELL county, not Mecklenburg This school will not serve Mooresville. Please be careful to give accurate info only.
Uh dude - It is accurate information. Please see the CMS map. The one thing I said that was incorrect was calling the middle school "Bailey" IB Middle school. It is actually Davidson. A portion of Mooresville is zone for that school, which will be zoned for Hough HS.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
Uh dude - It is accurate information. Please see the CMS map. The one thing I said that was incorrect was calling the middle school "Bailey" IB Middle school. It is actually Davidson. A portion of Mooresville is zone for that school, which will be zoned for Hough HS.
I have seen the map. Charlotte Mecklenburg schools only cover Mecklenburg county. No one in Iredell county is going to public school in Mecklenburg.

This is a case of zip codes and mail, like out in Union county. Some newcomers get really confused because they buy a home in Indian Trail but have a Matthews mailing address simply because that's the post office that serves their area. They actually do live in Union County and their home is really in Indian Trail but the mail gets delivered thru the Matthews post office, hence the Matthews zip code on their physical address. Sounds like the same thing may be happening up in Mooresville.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:48 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
I don't live in Iredell County . . . but you all have me utterly confused. Mooresville is in Iredell County and the school system serves residents of Iredell County. Are you all talking about some burgs along the way that MECK has annexed or what?

Old 11-19-2009, 03:49 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,335,862 times
How is this for ironic? The new high school will be 80% white and will take North Meck from 63/25 (white/african american) to 37/46, and it is named after William Amos Hough, principal of North Meck HS from 1955-1974,
Quote:
who deftly led his students and the northern Meckleburg towns of Cornelius, Davidson and Huntersville through the minefield of school integration during the 1960s
He is probably rolling over in his grave.

I don't have kids in CMS schools, and my house is in the new school's district, so in theory this new "good" school will help my property values, but it seems like a step in the wrong direction to me unless you want to just create separate local school districts.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
How is this for ironic? The new high school will be 80% white and will take North Meck from 63/25 (white/african american) to 37/46, and it is named after William Amos Hough, principal of North Meck HS from 1955-1974, He is probably rolling over in his grave.
Why would he roll over in his grave? Do you think racial quotas (wh/ would include busing) are what students and their families (of all races) would prefer? I thought most folks preferred neighborhood schools and no busing for racial quotas. Not trying to be snippy! Just curious.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:46 PM

Man, this story just keeps getting bigger...

Like I said before, I prefer schools not be named after people, but rather places, though Mr. Hough (pronounced Huff) seems to have been a real decent educator.

School's name honors principal, dismays others - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/education/story/1068181.html - broken link)

Old 11-23-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Man, this story just keeps getting bigger...

Like I said before, I prefer schools not be named after people, but rather places, though Mr. Hough (pronounced Huff) seems to have been a real decent educator.

School's name honors principal, dismays others - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/education/story/1068181.html - broken link)
Who would even think of such a thing as far as the name of the school being made fun of. And since when did parents act like idiots over the naming of a school? I went to a school named after a country doctor. But it was a rural high school and it would not have mattered WHAT the high school was named - the "city" kids were gonna make fun of it! SO WHAT? That is life! Kids make fun of each other's last names! They make fun of how other kids dress, where they live, what kind of car their parents drive! That has been going on forever.

Ho High. Good God. So there are ignorant folks out there who are obviously NOT from this region and don't know how to pronounce Hough. I suspect folks didn't know how to prounounce Barack Obama's name at first, but they soon learned.

This is so silly. Parents need to grow up and stop acting like children. Most of us could care less what the name of our kid's high school is. Why don't parents set their goals high enough (pron. ee-no???) to tell their kids WHO CARES - that high school is just where you get a diploma in order to get into college. Geeez. Grow up, folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte