Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2009, 07:37 AM

154 posts, read 328,508 times

Advertisements

SO as you all know we moved here a few weeks ago. I know we have to change our license over to NC. However our insurance guy said we have to do it within one month of the first date of our lease which is the first..I have read through the DMV rules and it says you have 60 days. Am i missing something he said our insurance would be revoked unless we complied. No problem with switching over except we have to take off work and my husband needs to get his car inspected which is going to take longer then 9 days. Any thoughts.. what really peeves me is he never mentioned this until I had to go to his office to sign a letter to release me from my previous company. Our current insurance was already in place.
Grrrrrr........it seems things are not just falling into place and it is becoming very frustrating!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 08:15 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,360,370 times
We moved about 3 months ago. Within 30 days we changed over our auto insurance from Illinois to North Carolina. However just 2 weeks ago my husband got his drivers' license and I got mine (or the little paper) last week. I'll get the "real" one some time this week.

Once we have both we'll start the ridiculous process of registering the cars. I say ridiculous b/c of all the paperwork and probably long lines waiting for me (I have a rant about the DMV after my experience last week). MAKE SURE to read everyone's comments b/c there is excellent advice as to where to NOT go to get your license.

Technically you have 60 days to get your license, but no one checks.

We kept the same company for auto insurance just different office/location, and they did not tell us we had to get our license right away. I don't think they even told us when we needed to get it. We hurried up and got it b/c we have an out of state tag which will expire soon.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:17 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,885,583 times
I thought it was 60 days too.....hmmm....have you tried calling the DMV?

Old 09-21-2009, 09:52 AM

169 posts, read 475,705 times
I know you have to show proof of auto insurance when you get your license, and I think register your car. I have Geico and had to get an insurance verification letter from them to take to DMV that was good for only 30 days. Maybe that's what your insurance company means. I did have to request mine two times because I didn't get my license within 30 days. They snail mailed the first one, but faxed the second. Good Luck!

Old 09-21-2009, 10:22 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,210,698 times
I believe there are two different time periods for drivers license vs automobile tags which could cause the confusion. On is 60 days the other is 30 days. I don't remember which is which.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:52 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,336,170 times
We let our insurance company know we were moving and changed our auto insurance to a local State Farm office as soon as we moved. They didn't seem to care where our cars were registered. We took our time switching first licenses, then car registration to NC.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:23 PM

154 posts, read 328,508 times
its quite frustrating to say the least and i dont mind getting it done but it is a process and not something you can just sign off and be done with it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte