Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 02:50 PM

33 posts, read 123,634 times

Advertisements

So I've been to Northlake mall many a time in the past few months because I really like the area, but I keep reading negative comments about it. Does that area really have a high crime rate? I've only been to the mall and then down Reames road to I77 but the whole area seemed very quiet and uppermiddle class to me. And the mall itself seems clean and well kept to me. I saw an apartment complex that I was considering renting in until I saw a few comments about a lot of crime in the area. Am I missing something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 03:21 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
The area borders upper part of west Charlotte and yes that apartment complex has had share of crime . The area in reference is off Treyburn Drive.
It is a quick in and out for someone with criminal intent to escape off Reames or 77 .

Will the area change for the better? That is something to be seen due to that area still in it early stages.
Will traffic get worse? YES as they continue to commercial and residential build in that area.
Harris Blvd near the mall will be flooded with cars getting off 485 from the Harris Blvd exit and 77.

If you ever drove down Northlake Pkwy that road was design to be pedestrian and bike friendly before development has occured with the hope that a developer will build more apartments, condo, and homes along that road (It is a new road)

It is a part of Charlotte so you always need to be on guard if you choose a home off Reames I think you will be ok . I like the community within but stick closer to the Reames Road side vs Beatties Ford Road Side and you will occasionally have to smell something that smells like a real sweet baby powder if you live past the stop sign of Lakeview Road.

The homes in that area are reasonably priced and it close to uptown.
When 485 is complete that area will be very ideal plus you are rather close to Latta Plantation.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:11 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,431,606 times
Go stand outside the move theatre on Friday night or try to watch a movie in there on the weekend, then get back to me. My fiance workls at Northlake Mall, and just like any mall, there is a lot of larceny, but a couple of her coworkers have been robbed in the parking lot.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
The area borders upper part of west Charlotte and yes that apartment complex has had share of crime . The area in reference is off Treyburn Drive.
I didn't name the complex I had in mind, which one are you talking about, or is there only one out that way?

Also I have been to the movies several times on weekends & weeknights and have never seen anything that made me feel uncomfortable. Maybe its just a difference in opinion in whats dangerous? I'm honestly not understanding what people are talking about when they down this area. But I don't live there either so maybe the looks of it are just really deceiving.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:56 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrnygrl View Post
I didn't name the complex I had in mind, which one are you talking about, or is there only one out that way?

Also I have been to the movies several times on weekends & weeknights and have never seen anything that made me feel uncomfortable. Maybe its just a difference in opinion in whats dangerous? I'm honestly not understanding what people are talking about when they down this area. But I don't live there either so maybe the looks of it are just really deceiving.
In Charlotte many times looks CAN be deceiving - it is hard to know! No personal experience with Northlake so I really can't help you, sorry.

Last edited by lovesMountains; 07-01-2008 at 05:06 PM..

Old 07-01-2008, 05:03 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
In Charlotte many times looks CAN be deceiving - it is hard to know!
Well said. The university area is another example. It doesn't look slummy, but there's quite a bit of crime there.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:11 PM

its true. i really would like to live in a place where i feel safe at least most of the time...maybe i'll just stick with relocating to south charlotte like my original plan

Old 07-01-2008, 05:37 PM

353 posts, read 996,314 times
I went to Northlake mall for the 1st time a few Saturday nights ago... and I won't be going back... at least not at night, and not on a weekend. It was pretty ghetto -- which is sad considering how beautiful it is, and the caliber of stores that rent space there.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:45 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,753,359 times
Any area that has a lot of retail businesses such as that, is going to have some problems. They're building a Super Target over there and that's really going to push that area as far as traffic and people visiting. But their are also plans to put some fairly nice homes within walking distance of the mall, so its really going to be a very mixed area when its built out. So you have to take it all into consideration. If you can go a couple of exists up to the Birkdale area, that would be a better location. But overall, as areas of Charlotte go, I would say the Northlake area is about average. Not terrible at all, but not the best either.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:24 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,874,232 times
I have lived in this area for the 3+ years I have lived in Charlotte and have had no problems. There are good restaurants (and getting better), a good selection of retail, and great location in proximity to Concord/Uptown/Lake Norman. It seems that the majority of people in this area are new residents. I have always wondered why people seem to put down, or trash this area of town. It is up-and-coming, clean, and has a diversity of people. I have seen most of Charlotte and Northlake/Mallard Creek areas are much better than most, Southpark/Ballentyne excluded, ofcourse. It's all in perception with alot of these folks. They see several black kids and suddenly an area is "ghetto". Sure, the area has it's share of crime, but what area of Charlotte doesn't? I'd love to know, so that I can start looking for a condo in that area. Be smart and alert, and you will be fine. Northlake area is quickly becoming one of Charlotte's best areas. I really enjoy living here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte