Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2009, 01:48 PM

34 posts, read 93,913 times

Advertisements

Hello Good Afternoon,

I'm seeking info to help my Brother who has just relocated to Charlotte today. He has come to the area so he can be closer to his 2 sons. He went to a local fast food restaurant thinking he can just relocate his job with no issues since he has spoken to the Manager 2 weeks in advance which the Manager informed him there are vacancies and since he was an excellent employee and would get a great reference from his most recent employer from the state he came from there would be no problems; However when he went to the fast food restaurant in downtown Charlotte today the Manager informed him he would have to conduct a background check... My Brother is fearful the felony conviction he had from 2005 will hinder him from being hired... He has already found a place to live, but he just needs a place to work that will overlook his conviction just in case the restaurant Manager rejects him... Does anyone have any information that can be helpful to him?

I appreciate any feedback
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 10:25 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,352,222 times
Not immediately. Try the other establishments , they may pan out. It depends on the nature of his felony - whether it is assault or drug related. Also there are some warehouses on Graham that would probably hire him.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:50 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,653,737 times
It's possible he can still be hired even with the background check, especially if the referring manager writes a reference.

This pdf is a few years old, but the information should still be valid, it lists resources for ex-offenders:
www.exoffender.org/up/docs/Exohandbook.pdf

North Carolina Re-Entry also has some good resources -
The North Carolina Re-Entry Action Project

Old 08-25-2009, 11:40 AM

34 posts, read 93,913 times
Default Thanks

Thank You so much for the useful information. I will relay it to him.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:49 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,954,115 times
Try roofing companies too.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:55 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,023,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmom1871 View Post
Hello Good Afternoon,

My Brother is fearful the felony conviction he had from 2005 will hinder him from being hired... Does anyone have any information that can be helpful to him?

I appreciate any feedback
Several years ago I worked in the catering industry in Miami and we hired several felons, however every one that we hired had told us about their past indiscretions, we never hired anybody that we got a shock when getting back the background check.

So I would suggest to your brother to be upfront & honest, before a background check is pulled.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:30 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Where can my Brother find work in Charlotte with a felony conviction?
Honestly (as much as I hate to drop a dime on our cab companies) the local cab companies here in Charlotte has a "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

Also, some courier services here in Charlotte use independent contractors. If your brother has a reliable car (or van/truck), he could earn much more than fast food money as a courier (we are talking up to $100 a day or better).

I drove my 1995 Hyundia Accent back in 1996 for a courier service. I was a teenager at the time and made more money than some adults. I NEVER had to take a drug test. I never had to give consent for them to run a background check either. Things might have changed since 911, but I would certainly check out the cab companies.

Also, there is a "day job" place somewhere on Freedom Drive. Folks line up there early in the morning (5am or so) waiting to see if they can get work for the day. I believe it is a temp agency that pays you cash the same day. Hopefully another poster knows more about this place than I do.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:29 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,220,638 times
I think others have said some good recomemdations, but in any interview/resume/application, he must absolutley state he has a felony on this record. He would have a better chance for employment depending on the type of offense. Lying will not get the job or be fired.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:50 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,352,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
I think others have said some good recomemdations, but in any interview/resume/application, he must absolutley state he has a felony on this record. He would have a better chance for employment depending on the type of offense. Lying will not get the job or be fired.
Yes , as the exact same thing happened to my cousin , who had a good job lined up and lost it on the first day. He subsequently started at McD's , worked there for 3 years , procured a crack habit , got mad at his coworkers , and walked off the job!!!

Seems to me at that exact same moment , he should have walked off a cliff!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte