Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 12:44 PM

716 posts, read 1,544,035 times

Advertisements

Can I still have my drivers license in my home state as well as a NC drivers license? I mean what if I lost my original drivers license? How does this work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 12:51 PM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
When you apply for the NC license, they will confiscate your home state license..

Old 07-08-2009, 12:59 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,218,076 times
It's illegal. You are licensed in only one state. If you lose you NC card, you order a new card, but you are still licensed out of the state of NC, card or not and have to follow it's rules and regulations.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:07 PM

716 posts, read 1,544,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
It's illegal. You are licensed in only one state. If you lose you NC card, you order a new card, but you are still licensed out of the state of NC, card or not and have to follow it's rules and regulations.

Yes but what if I am licensed in California and have lost my drivers license? So when I apply for NC license I don't have anything except for my social security card and birth certificate but say 2 years down the road I find my Cali drivers license and want to move back to Cali. Will my Cali license still be valid or do they just delete it out of the system?

Old 07-08-2009, 02:14 PM

109 posts, read 345,716 times
Well, we lived in NC, but left in 2005 to move overseas then to Michigan. We moved back here in 2009 and went to the license office to take the test for a new license. However, they still showed my NC license info in the the system, and since it had not expired yet, I only had to take the quick renewal test. And, yes, I had to turn in my MI license.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:41 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,218,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteCharlotte View Post
Yes but what if I am licensed in California and have lost my drivers license? So when I apply for NC license I don't have anything except for my social security card and birth certificate but say 2 years down the road I find my Cali drivers license and want to move back to Cali. Will my Cali license still be valid or do they just delete it out of the system?
When you get a new licenses, you are licensed in that state. If the state does it's due diligence, they will inform California. If you have lost your license, you have nothing to turn in. You still have to take all the NC tests anyway. If you don't have your old licenses, you may just check with the DMV with what you need.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:49 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,983,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
When you get a new licenses, you are licensed in that state. If the state does it's due diligence, they will inform California. If you have lost your license, you have nothing to turn in. You still have to take all the NC tests anyway. If you don't have your old licenses, you may just check with the DMV with what you need.

......if you find your cali license at some point, just send it down a shredder. If you get pulled over by the police and hand them your(now found)California license, you'll be going to the hoosegow.

J/K, of coarse, but it will come up expired or invalid.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:17 PM

622 posts, read 1,781,982 times
Let's see here. Original post on taking a drug test. Second post on maintaining two driver's licences. What's next.....I'm afraid to ask!

Last edited by Belmarin; 07-08-2009 at 05:18 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-08-2009, 05:20 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,547,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmarin View Post
Let's see here. Original post on taking a drug test. Second post on maintaining two driver's licences. What's next.....I'm afraid to ask!
I was thinking the same thing

Old 07-08-2009, 05:24 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
I was thinking the same thing
Me, too!!!!

"What management company rents apartments without doing a background check?"

J/K CCharlotte.

BTW - the info you have been given is correct. Even if you don't tell the examiner you moved here from CA . . . your SS# is in the big computer in the sky. They will send a message to invalidate your CA license.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte