Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 10:24 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,366,430 times

Advertisements

Driving through them really is as "bad" as everyone (ok chicagocubs) said it would be.

I did not like the way my car happily accelerated without effort. And did not like the curvy driving.

Driving by the cliffs did not bother me at all. I thought the scenary was breath takingly beautiful.

And there are people speeding down the mountain! I just stuck literally to the speed limit and crossed my fingers. Figured everyone was laughing at the Illinois drivers following the speed limit (people speed like crazy in Illinois for those who don't know).

Really happy to be here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 10:28 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,655,411 times
Welcome to the party...

Old 07-01-2009, 10:42 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,510,526 times
Yeah, I have IL plates too and I think people purposely screw with you when they see those plates driving thru the mountains. However, now that I have done the trip from charlotte-->Chicago about 5 times now I am a pro. The first time I did it I was in a Penske towing my fiancees car behind us, that was pretty exhilirating.

We came down 77 thru WV and VA this most recent time and I was going about 70 down fancy gap thinking I was a pro. Then a freaking semi had the balls to pass me in the left lane as he was going about 80. Usually truckers are good/respectful drivers but this guy was a total #$%. A cop ended up pulling him over and I was pretty happy about that.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:54 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,865,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post
Driving through them really is as "bad" as everyone (ok chicagocubs) said it would be.

I did not like the way my car happily accelerated without effort. And did not like the curvy driving.

Driving by the cliffs did not bother me at all. I thought the scenary was breath takingly beautiful.

And there are people speeding down the mountain! I just stuck literally to the speed limit and crossed my fingers. Figured everyone was laughing at the Illinois drivers following the speed limit (people speed like crazy in Illinois for those who don't know).

Really happy to be here!
Yay, you made it!! Welcome home

You must be talking about I40 from the Tennessee border to Asheville - yes, it's a bit hairy.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:58 AM

182 posts, read 440,848 times
Luckily you guys made it without boulders coming down! When the boulders come down it gets right sporty.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:16 AM

Default He He I saw those warning signs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamwow! View Post
Luckily you guys made it without boulders coming down! When the boulders come down it gets right sporty.
I'm sitting there reading them aloud to the people in the car. "Ok so if there are boulders exactly how do you dodge them?" I don't think anyone was amused. I also noticed the runaway truck ramps .

::sigh:: Probably will be fine the next time I drive the mountains, now that I know what to expect.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:18 AM

Default Mountains!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Yay, you made it!! Welcome home

You must be talking about I40 from the Tennessee border to Asheville - yes, it's a bit hairy.
That does not sound familiar. I think we were on I-77 pretty much all the way down after Cleveland. I'll bet those mountains are pretty tame, and now I'll feel really silly :-))

Old 07-01-2009, 11:27 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,865,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post
That does not sound familiar. I think we were on I-77 pretty much all the way down after Cleveland. I'll bet those mountains are pretty tame, and now I'll feel really silly :-))
Oh, you did I77? Then you missed the most challenging mountain interstate driving, lol. If that intimidated you, don't ever go I40 from Asheville to the TN border!!

Old 07-01-2009, 01:35 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,923,338 times
Oh you guys, you haven't seen mountain driving until you come West - The Rockies, the Wasatch Front, the Sierra Nevadas, El Cajon Pass in winter. I've driven from Asheville to Johnston City several times, both ways, and it's pretty but not bad.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:37 PM

222 posts, read 937,551 times
Well, I think that stretch of I-77 is more intimidating, in a way. The way the road is cut into the side of the mountain with the valley straight down below you..... and if you're going N, I am thinking 'what is keeping those SBers from barreling down on me?' And when those 18 wheelers go off the side???? But the I40 is curvy.

Then that takes me back to when 421 was only 2 lane to Boone until the late 70's. That's when the runaway truck ramps were sorely needed. How many lost their lives driving off that mountain? Truckers and ASU students?

For those of you not familiar with driving in these areas, don't freak. Speeding for conditions is the most common reason for the wrecks.

In fact, just this week, 2 semi's turned over on exit ramps in GSO because they were 'exceeding a safe speed'....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte