Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2012, 07:32 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,085,688 times

Advertisements

We've been here six years and have yet to make it to the mountains!

Every year I have vowed that we would go Thanksgiving. Thought it might become a new tradition.

I don't know what happens but each year I look into it, I get overwhelmed. I don't know where to begin. It may or may not be too late for this year but if anyone has suggestions/recommendations, I'd appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 01:43 PM

1,076 posts, read 2,368,460 times
Go to 1927 Lake Lure inn for thanksgiving. It's in lake lure about 1.5 hrs from Charlotte and a great little area. We went last year and their meal was plentiful and their service amazing. We stayed at the hotel and were pleased with the accommodations. They offer rooms and 3 cabins on site. Chimney rock is close by to hike and there is a little area with shops closeby there too. The lake is beautiful and I bet the leaves are beginning to change more so than here. You won't be disappointed

Old 09-30-2012, 02:27 PM

159 posts, read 335,157 times
Whatever you do, plan carefully. I didn't spend Thanksgiving up in the mountains, but I stayed at a cabin at a ski resort during the first week of December two years ago and the weather was tricky. Asheville had rain, but where I was at near Mars Hill was snowing heavily. So please use a 4WD vehicle. A cabin setting would make the perfect Thanksgiving though.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:07 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,971,985 times
The mountains are an easy day trip from Charlotte, so I'd recommend maybe a couple of visits first. It can range from very touristy to nice and secluded. Keep in mind that by Thanksgiving, the weather can close down certain roads in the higher elevations, so you will want to avoid planning too far in advance for any place that might be remote off the Parkway.

A good day trip from the Charlotte area is to
  • Go W on I-85, take Hwy 321 West of Gastonia and head to the mountains. 321 will go all the way to Blowing Rock. When in Blowing Rock, you can investigate the Green Park In, and then turn down into business 321 and head into the old part of town. There are plenty of restaurants and other places to consider there.
  • When you are done in Blowing Rock, leave 321 and continue on W. to Boone. On the way you will pass Appalachian Ski Resort. It's a small but very well run ski resort & ice skating rink. It's highly recommended if you are learning.
  • As you arrive into Boone you will notice that it tends to be very busy, but continue on until you make it into town. You will see Appalachian St. University, the Daniel Boone Inn Restaurant (country style eating)
  • When you are done with Boone, you have two choices. You can head North/East on 421 which will take you to W. Jefferson where you can see the only cheese factory where you can see it being made, sample the product and visit the charming little mountain town where it's located. From there 421 continues out of the mountains to I-77 North, and then you can return to CLt.
  • The other choice is to head W. on 105 and head to Banner Elk. You will pass the Mast General Store and then there a lot of options in the Banner Elk area such as Grandfather Mountain, several more Ski resorts, places to eat.
  • Once you are done you can take 221 to Marion NC and then return via I-40, 321, I-85. I recommend a visit to the Waldensian winery in Valdese.
I hope this helps a little. It will give you a good tour of the northern NC mountain area and maybe some ideas on what to do at Thanksgiving. It's an easy day trip from Charlotte.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:44 AM

104 posts, read 304,224 times
I have had great experiences with vrbo and homeaway for home rentals in Lake Lure. I have gotten some very nice houses with gourmet kitchen, theater etc for very reasonable prices. It is a wonderful way to spend time with family in somewhat seclusion and not that far away. Either luck hope you have a wonderful time.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:07 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
We've been here six years and have yet to make it to the mountains!

Every year I have vowed that we would go Thanksgiving. Thought it might become a new tradition.

I don't know what happens but each year I look into it, I get overwhelmed. I don't know where to begin. It may or may not be too late for this year but if anyone has suggestions/recommendations, I'd appreciate it.
Sara, Thanksgiving is a GREAT time to be in the mountains! The weather is usually awesome that week.

I like the Lake Lure suggestion some here have made, but I'm going to make another. Consider going to a higher elevation to Scenic Wolf Resort near Mars Hill. That place is awesome, especially for families as the community has a heated pool you have access to

Old 10-01-2012, 12:52 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Sara, call Inn of the Patriots in Grover. It's a B&B, but I think that they do a Thanksgiving dinner. Enjoy cooking classes at The Inn of the Patriots! then hop on I 85 south to Spartanburg & take I 26 to Asheville.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:12 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
A lot of restaurants in the Boone/Blowing Rock area are closed on Thanksgiving. The ones that are open will be taking reservations and they go fast. Just a heads up!

Dinner is gonna be expensive! But we have had holiday meals (tho not Thanksgiving) at all these places I have listed and the food was outstanding.

For other times, if it is adults only - check out the jazz evenings at the Green Park Inn. Also, they have a nice Sunday Brunch. Not sure if they are doing anything for the public for Thanksgiving, although they have in the past.

Home | Green Park Inn

Chelota's new restaurant recently opened, and they have traditionally had one of the best holiday (Easter, Thanksgiving, etc) buffets in town. The former restaurant burned down and the new one has only been open a matter of weeks, so I haven't tried it out yet.

$49 per adult, $21 per child (7-12) $11 per child (3-6) and free for kids under 2

Call for reservations - they have 4 seatings

Timberlake's Restaurant at Chetola Resort in Blowing Rock

Meadowbrook Inn has Thanksgiving dinner, $42/person (not sure about children $$)

Meadowbrook Inn - A Mountain Inn in Blowing rock NC

The Gamekeeper (at Yonahlossee) has always had a delicious holiday meal --(reservations!) They will be open from noon to 5pm on Thanksgiving Day.

Gamekeeper Restaurant : The Owners
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte