Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 12:06 PM

15 posts, read 33,984 times

Advertisements

Well, we did it. got moved and now settled in Concord. I hear people talking about the mountains not being far, so I am needing information on where to go. I have a 2 year old son and we want to check out the mountains. open to suugestions...
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 12:52 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
You wanna do day trip?

Head to Blowing Rock/Boone. Take your child to Tweetsie Railroad - it is kinda hokey but all in good fun.

Or head to Blowing Rock for Art in the Park, some play time in the park (swingsets for kids). . . head out on the Parkway . . . check out Moses Cone Mansion . . .

Or go to Grandfather Mountain . . .

If you prefer Asheville, check out Biltmore Estate, stop in at Biltmore Village (you can use a stroller easily enuff there).

Just depends what you have in mind . . . start out early in the day so you can make it back home by 10 pm or so. Don't assume you can find a room unless you call ahead - sometimes things get booked and no vacancies.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:44 PM

15 posts, read 33,984 times
we are from east texas, we are used to the country. i am looking for a weekend of camping, fishing, light hiking....

Old 06-20-2009, 05:10 AM

852 posts, read 2,468,698 times
South Mountain - only about an hour and a half from Charlotte and there are camping pads there but it is basic camping but a great hike and a fabulous waterfall. The hike is not too hard either.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:27 AM
QCP

185 posts, read 524,144 times
I'd suggest the Pisgah National Forest near Brevard. It's close (a little less than 2 hrs) and has some beautiful areas. We camp at Davidson River Campground - which is wonderfully wooded and very quiet. You'll find scenic roads, hikes and beautiful waterfalls everywhere. Plus, Brevard is a very cute little mountain town that is much less touristy than the blowing rock area. There's a cute little ice cream stand just outside the park. I would also recommend having lunch at the Pisgah Inn atop Mount Pisgah - the best view in the area.

Pisgah National Forest

Old 06-20-2009, 09:02 AM

616 posts, read 1,751,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCP View Post
I'd suggest the Pisgah National Forest near Brevard. It's close (a little less than 2 hrs) and has some beautiful areas. We camp at Davidson River Campground - which is wonderfully wooded and very quiet. You'll find scenic roads, hikes and beautiful waterfalls everywhere. Plus, Brevard is a very cute little mountain town that is much less touristy than the blowing rock area. There's a cute little ice cream stand just outside the park. I would also recommend having lunch at the Pisgah Inn atop Mount Pisgah - the best view in the area.

Pisgah National Forest
Great idea! Brevard and the Pisgah are GORGEOUS.

And if you enjoy that, you could head to Macon County, Franklin, and the Nantahala Forest. Maybe for a longer stay, as it is a 4 hour drive from Gastonia (add an hour (?) from Concord). You could fish and kayak or tube or raft, go gem mining (not hokey, this was a center for rubies some time ago), hike, bike, go horseback riding, hit the Appalachian Trail, check out waterfalls, stay in a cabin in the countryside, roast marshmallows in your firepit, and visit town for cool stuff and restaurants. Let me know if you need more info.

You'll have fun no matter where you. NC is a state blessed with beauty and nature!

Old 06-20-2009, 10:56 AM

70 posts, read 227,412 times
Lake Lure, Chimney Rock. Check out Google for some pictures. Beautiful area. About 90 miles from Charlotte.
MM

Old 06-20-2009, 05:29 PM

3 posts, read 5,647 times
Cherokee, Maggie Valley or other place along Smoky mountain is about 3-5 hours away from Charlotte and it's extremely beautiful ..I want to retire there ....if I ever get to retire at all ..:-)

Old 06-21-2009, 04:30 AM

174 posts, read 477,391 times
If you have a weekend to kill.....Gatlinburg, TN 3 1/2 hours away. Breathtaking scenery, tons of things for kids...aquarium, ripleys museum, mirror maze, magic / comedy shows, mini golf, laser tag in Pigeon Forge (15 minutes from Gatlinburg) plus tons of craft stores, shops, etc. we went last fall and we will be going back again...our kids were 2 at the time, and although they were a little too young for a lot of things, they loved the aquarium.

Gatlinburg, TN - Gatlinburg Tennessee - Official Site, Gatlinburg Chamber of Commerce

Old 06-21-2009, 05:50 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,915 times
I would visit every single other listed place before I went back to Gatlinburg TN... Obviously some people like it, but I find it to be one of the most garish, tacky places on the east coast. Add that to the fact that everything is twice as expensive there as it really ought to be and you end up with a fat ole' neon ripoff mountain town tourist trap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte