Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 08:34 PM

1,902 posts, read 2,271,439 times

Advertisements

The June 8 agenda for the Charlotte City Council includes proposed resolutions identifying 8 study areas for possible annexation in 2011. City staff will examine them to see what areas meet state requirements. They'll announce the qualifying areas next summer and, pending City Council action, they'll be annexed in June 2011.

Charlotte follows a two-year cycle of annexations.

Here's a link to the resolutions:

http://www.charmeck.org/NR/rdonlyres/eetkqgoggzlperksgi54j2armo6kc7emmnz5cwd4cwkrgx36qg u6emgupuaaun54gt7z3c4vvtznsrv2bq5jw53yxif/8010608PC2011AnnexationResolutionsofConsideration. pdf (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 01:29 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,511,723 times
Why would they want to annex more land??? The city already has enough undeveloped land. Why not use that or do mass gentrification in it's core like DC or Atlanta.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:29 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,035,138 times
I thought I was sure to become Charlotte in 2011, I am not on the study area

Old 06-08-2009, 03:39 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,985,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Why would they want to annex more land??? The city already has enough undeveloped land. Why not use that or do mass gentrification in it's core like DC or Atlanta.

Taxes, taxes, taxes ..... mo' money!

Old 06-09-2009, 12:24 PM

104 posts, read 177,745 times
It's the universal truth about governments, they always grow, they never get smaller. They expand in good economic times and they either stay the same size or continue to grow in bad economic times too. They want their taxes. It's all about the money.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:27 PM

104 posts, read 177,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Taxes, taxes, taxes ..... mo' money!
Well, LESS money for you and I.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:58 PM

210 posts, read 508,473 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDave View Post
The June 8 agenda for the Charlotte City Council includes proposed resolutions identifying 8 study areas for possible annexation in 2011. City staff will examine them to see what areas meet state requirements. They'll announce the qualifying areas next summer and, pending City Council action, they'll be annexed in June 2011.

Charlotte follows a two-year cycle of annexations.

Here's a link to the resolutions:

http://www.charmeck.org/NR/rdonlyres/eetkqgoggzlperksgi54j2armo6kc7emmnz5cwd4cwkrgx36qg u6emgupuaaun54gt7z3c4vvtznsrv2bq5jw53yxif/8010608PC2011AnnexationResolutionsofConsideration. pdf (broken link)
I just checked this study and noticed it does not include McDowell Park or Riverpointe. Does anyone have any idea if Riverpointe will be included at some time in the near future? When Charlotte does annex an area, how much more would I have to expect to pay in taxes? I was told that Charlotte would annex all of it eventually and to expect taxes to be 4X what they are now.

I haven't bought yet but am considering buying in Riverpointe. Thanks,

Old 07-25-2009, 06:53 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,154,021 times
I for one am happy to see the city anex more people into the city if MOST of those people work in or get a benefit from Charlotte. Do they use our roads? hospitals? have jobs there? etc etc....If so they needs to pay up!

Old 07-26-2009, 06:09 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,420,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
I for one am happy to see the city anex more people into the city if MOST of those people work in or get a benefit from Charlotte. Do they use our roads? hospitals? have jobs there? etc etc....If so they needs to pay up!

You've never used another county's road system, I'm guessing. Never used roads outside of Charlotte to visit, buy anything..maybe worked...I don't know.... Because if you turn your logic around you'll see how chopped it is.

Your argument would be better suited for toll roads EVERYWHERE. Because if you're gonna travel a highway outside of Charlotte then you "needs to pay up!"

Old 07-26-2009, 08:17 AM

210 posts, read 508,473 times
Yeah, just think how much fun I77 and i485 would be as toll roads! It would be like going back to Jersey and the Mass Pike!
I77 & I485 are state roads though, so don't state and federal funds pay for those? Doesn't the state pay for roads like 49 and 51?

If people come from out of the area, they have to pay state sales taxes to buy things here and they utilize local restaurants to eat. Even if they work here, this will happen. So don't worry, everybody gets our money somehow.

Brian, I found the answer to my question about how much the taxes would raise with annexation, so now I can factor that into my decision.

Native, when one looks to buy a house, all factors need to be considered to be sure one can afford the place in years to come. Obviously, many people do not do that. They just buy, then a year later complain because they are annexed. I bought here in Pfafftown the year it was annexed to Winston-Salem, so I was never here paying the lesser taxes. But several people in town sold because it raised their monthly payments above what they could afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte