Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 05:03 PM

3,069 posts, read 9,178,490 times

Advertisements

Charlotte is surrounded by hundreds of thousands of people who work here but yet because they live just outside of the city /county limits dont pay a dime in property taxes here. They flood out roads ,use our emergency services, drink our water, flush into our sewage system etc etc and pay nothing. They argue that they shop here,well its only to get the best prices they cant get where they live and believe me if gasoline is one cent higher here that their local station they wont even buy that here. Toll roads are a good thing because it makes those who use them pay for them , Charlotte does need a "payroll tax" . That way people that earn their paychecks here can leave some of it here. These day workers cry about having to give back to charlotte but yet without the jobs here many would have children with no shoes and wives who have to make cloths from old feed sacks....They indeed ,needs to pay up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 06:21 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,448,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Charlotte is surrounded by hundreds of thousands of people who work here but yet because they live just outside of the city /county limits dont pay a dime in property taxes here. They flood out roads ,use our emergency services, drink our water, flush into our sewage system etc etc and pay nothing. They argue that they shop here,well its only to get the best prices they cant get where they live and believe me if gasoline is one cent higher here that their local station they wont even buy that here. Toll roads are a good thing because it makes those who use them pay for them , Charlotte does need a "payroll tax" . That way people that earn their paychecks here can leave some of it here. These day workers cry about having to give back to charlotte but yet without the jobs here many would have children with no shoes and wives who have to make cloths from old feed sacks....They indeed ,needs to pay up.

Do you realize just how idiotic all of this sounds?

Do you even realize what good having healthy major companies in Charlotte does for your area? Between those companies paying taxes, charitable contributions, employment for people already living in Charlotte? Or would you rather have those companies just up and leave, laying more waste to Charlotte than you could possibly imagine.

*No, it won't go back to the way it was because it's a little too late for that*

Should Cabarrus county tax Charlotte every time the races come to town? I'm sure there has to be more than one attendee from Charlotte taxing our sewage system, our water, using our emergency services, shopping at our stores. I think you guys need to pay up each time those races hit.

Even if YOU yourself never attend. We'll just victimize you based on your proximity.

There's your annexation using your own ideology. Utterly ridiculous.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:01 PM

23,816 posts, read 34,927,911 times
Quote:
Oh lord, I thought that you had gotten close to proposing a city wage tax, but now you got to it. That's the official name for your proposal.

I paid the Philadelphia City wage tax for years.

Guess what, they are such a nightmare for the accountants that companies leave cities because of them.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:34 PM

3,069 posts, read 9,178,490 times
No problem with a "race day" tax. Tax the ones that benefit from it. We in Charlotte should tax the ones that benefit from Charlotte with legal anexation . Those who work here and yet dont own property here pay very little compared to those who do....The day workers needs to pay up.Let cabarrus county create any kind of tax they want to because afterall they cant tax in Mecklenburg and Meckleburg has no right to impose any taxes THERE.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:48 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,162,563 times
Quote:
No problem with a "race day" tax. Tax the ones that benefit from it. We in Charlotte should tax the ones that benefit from Charlotte with legal anexation . Those who work here and yet dont own property here pay very little compared to those who do....The day workers needs to pay up.Let cabarrus county create any kind of tax they want to because afterall they cant tax in Mecklenburg and Meckleburg has no right to impose any taxes THERE.

And you don't think Charlotte benefits from people coming there, eating there, shopping there and working there?

Seriously, what planet are you currently floating on?

Old 07-28-2009, 02:53 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,887,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
You've never used another county's road system, I'm guessing. Never used roads outside of Charlotte to visit, buy anything..maybe worked...I don't know.... Because if you turn your logic around you'll see how chopped it is.
You're using entirely different logic.

Annexation is indended to shift the burden toward people who live on the fringe of city limits. It is not intended to shift the burden to anyone and everyone who has ever used city services.

I understand if this difference is too subtle for you to grasp, but I assure you there is a difference between the two groups.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:54 PM

23,816 posts, read 34,927,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
And you don't think Charlotte benefits from people coming there, eating there, shopping there and working there?

Seriously, what planet are you currently floating on?
The one that doesn't know about the nightmare of city wage taxes.

Old 07-28-2009, 03:06 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,162,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post

Annexation is indended to shift the burden toward people who live on the fringe of city limits. It is not intended to shift the burden to anyone and everyone who has ever used city services.

I understand if this difference is too subtle for you to grasp, but I assure you there is a difference between the two groups.
I see it more as.......

A city that has spent it's money foolishly (say as in...oh I don't know.....A NASCAR Museum that went millions over-budget and has returned them a buck fifty on their "invetment") and now is trying to reach out it's long tenticles and fangs; to leetch as much money possible from the surrounding counties.

Old 07-28-2009, 03:40 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,448,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post

In case your reading and comprehension skills aren't up to par you'll see NativeChef wants the burden shifted to anyone who works and benefits from Charlotte, that they "needs to pay up". That's the point I was addressing.

Or is that too subtle for you to grasp....

Old 07-28-2009, 03:49 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,887,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
I see it more as.......

A city that has spent it's money foolishly (say as in...oh I don't know.....A NASCAR Museum that went millions over-budget and has returned them a buck fifty on their "invetment") and now is trying to reach out it's long tenticles and fangs; to leetch as much money possible from the surrounding counties.
This may very well be true.

But it doesn't address the Free Rider problem that cities must deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte