Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2009, 02:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,047 times

Advertisements

As the name intimates, I am relocating to Charlotte area from up North. I see on the threads that many individuals moving to Charlotte are advised to move to the South Charlotte area. Are there no nice family, low crime, great school communities in N/NW/NE Charlotte/Meck County?

In terms of price point, I am looking for something around $200k. I see many homes on-line (Re-Max, etc.) around that price point, yet many individuals posting on these forums are quoting prices I would pay in my current state.

Any thoughts???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 03:30 PM

518 posts, read 2,061,058 times
There are many affordable and nice homes in the North part of Mecklenburg County....we live in the Mallard Creek area and we love it. We are between I85 and I77, close to Concord Mills and Northlake Malls, grocery stores and drug stores on every corner. There are many nice developments in this area....Highland Creek, Skybrook ($$$$), you can get into Huntersville, or even just cross the county line into Cabarrus County, cheaper taxes and lots of nice homes. Stay North Harris, West of 85 and East of 77 and you'll find many great communities. There are some other threads here that talk about the "University Area", which is really on the east side of 85 and about 10 miles north and south of Harris Blvd. There are realtors on this forum, and they will be able to really give you some places to look. Our neighborhood (off of Prosperity Church Road) was built in the early 90's, most along this corridor are about that old, but the area is great. Alot of the homes are kept up very well. We have had some issues with crime, but watches and an increase in police presents have deterred criminals. Plus, you just have to be cautious and lock things up, don't "welcome" the criminal. You should be able to find homes along this corridor for the price you are looking for (and I'm sure there are more out there, but this is the area I'm most familiar with). The nice thing about these older homes is the larger lots and mature trees/shrubs. Schools are good, Elem: Mallard Creek Elem/Croft Community (and new one in about 3 years on Johnston-Oehler Rd); Middle School: Alexander, we weren't too fond of this school-very overcrowed and very old, Ridge Rd is opening this fall; High School: 2nd year Mallard Creek HS, Vance and North Meck all good, we go to Mallard Creek. Good Luck

Last edited by aquastone; 06-06-2009 at 03:39 PM..

Old 06-06-2009, 06:34 PM

364 posts, read 635,610 times
Hi, yes there are nice areas in North Mecklenburg County, Huntersville, Concord, etc. I would generally agree with aquastone in terms of where to look based on what I have seen and read. I have almost been in Charlotte for a yr and live in N Charlotte now. There are other areas of N Charlotte that are nice too but that is a general idea of N Charlotte/Mecfklenburg County. I am currently looking into/in the process of trying to buy a home in N Charlotte Mallard Creek area.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:26 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by returning to south View Post
As the name intimates, I am relocating to Charlotte area from up North. I see on the threads that many individuals moving to Charlotte are advised to move to the South Charlotte area. Are there no nice family, low crime, great school communities in N/NW/NE Charlotte/Meck County?

In terms of price point, I am looking for something around $200k. I see many homes on-line (Re-Max, etc.) around that price point, yet many individuals posting on these forums are quoting prices I would pay in my current state.

Any thoughts???
Aquastone explained things really well. You will just need to check out the crime rate for individual neighborhoods as things can look really enticing online but may be in an area where crime has moved in. Just do your homework - there are many nice areas around the city, as well as in other nearby communities. If you find something you are particularly interested in, let us know and we can perhaps help you find more info on that particular neighborhood.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:51 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,452,390 times
Yes there are very nice areas in the northern part of the county. I attended UNC Charlotte and I love the area. There are some great neighborhoods!

I think the southern area gets more feedback for two reasons. 1)That is where a lot of posters live and people post about what they know. Here is a map Metallisteve created showing where people live - Charlotte Frappr (zoom in) (http://platial.com/mapv/Charlotte-City-Data-Users/556893# - broken link)
2) Because people post more about those areas that's where people are drawn to. They may assume that because there is less discussion about other areas they aren't nice or worth looking into. Kind of like in a store, people usually go to the longest line first. They see people waiting and automatically get behind them. Even though there is usually a shorter line a few registers down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte