Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 07:37 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,716,976 times

Advertisements

I know this has been mentioned a few times in other threads but I can not find any solid guesses of when we can expect a good high speed alternative to TWC.

The reason why I ask is because TWC is now pushing their "Rate Lock" program which is a 2 year comitment but you save on prices. I am thinking about doing this but I dont want to miss out on FIOS or other alternatives if they will be here in South Charlotte within the next two years.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 07:46 AM

482 posts, read 945,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank2 View Post
I know this has been mentioned a few times in other threads but I can not find any solid guesses of when we can expect a good high speed alternative to TWC.

The reason why I ask is because TWC is now pushing their "Rate Lock" program which is a 2 year comitment but you save on prices. I am thinking about doing this but I dont want to miss out on FIOS or other alternatives if they will be here in South Charlotte within the next two years.

Thanks!
FIOS is horrible though. The installation is lengthy and they rip out your existing wiring, so you can't revert back to what you had if you don't like it. I'd rather us TWC. My aunt got FIOS and she hates it, and she's STUCK!

Old 01-24-2009, 07:47 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,047,901 times
don't know what a FIOS is. But, the possibility of any kind of competition coming for Time Warner is pretty slim.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:54 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,714,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1908WAGY View Post
FIOS is horrible though. The installation is lengthy and they rip out your existing wiring, so you can't revert back to what you had if you don't like it. I'd rather us TWC. My aunt got FIOS and she hates it, and she's STUCK!
Everyone I know who switched to FiOS loves it.

However, to answer the question, since the entire FiOS network needs to be built from scratch in each service area, do not expect it in the next 2 years.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
don't know what a FIOS is. But, the possibility of any kind of competition coming for Time Warner is pretty slim.
https://www22.verizon.com/Residential/Internet/

https://www22.verizon.com/Residential/TV/

Verizon FiOS Availability Map - dslreports.com

Old 01-24-2009, 08:06 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,321,259 times
IMHO the power companies will have the last laugh.
After all, who has more copper installed into homes?

I worked with a power company awhile back multiplexing internet over the power lines (not Duke) and the results were amazing.
Until then, I am stuck with top-tier AT&T DSL.
Cable in my 'hood is sub par to DSL (as amazing as that sounds).

Old 01-24-2009, 08:09 AM

415 posts, read 1,151,362 times
I've been told by Verizon folks that it is very unlikely that we'll see FIOS anytime in Charlotte. The TWC alternative will be the ATT U-Verse product.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:18 AM

56 posts, read 158,935 times
FIOS is a Verizon product that is offer in Verizon footprint. Charlotte is not in Verizon footprint. Charlotte is in AT&T footprint which offer it U-verse service which is sames as Verizon FIOS. Call 1-866-99-UVERSE to find out if you are able to get it like I did.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:19 PM

172 posts, read 584,831 times
Coolcivic, Thanks for that information. We have time warner for internet only and my husband says FIOS is much much better. He did actual tests on internet speed (which I don't understand). Anyway he will be happy to hear this.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcivic View Post
FIOS is a Verizon product that is offer in Verizon footprint. Charlotte is not in Verizon footprint. Charlotte is in AT&T footprint which offer it U-verse service which is sames as Verizon FIOS. Call 1-866-99-UVERSE to find out if you are able to get it like I did.
Uverse is not the same as FiOS. Similar, but not the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: