Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 04:20 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,974,905 times

Advertisements

WSOC is reporting that the two developers proposing to build a new outlet mall in CLT will team up to build a single mall in the SW of CLT in Steele Creek. This confirms the speculation the CLT market could not handle two of these malls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 04:54 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,360,005 times
Saw Channel 9. As predicted. Hopefully with these 2 developers teaming up, they will offer some new retail choices not already found at Concord Mills and Gaffney.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:13 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times
So for others like me that forgot which was which, the SW Charlotte outlet mall is the Tanger one.

As far as shopping in east Charlotte, is the Mint Hill thing still supposed to happen?

Old 11-28-2012, 06:49 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
So for others like me that forgot which was which, the SW Charlotte outlet mall is the Tanger one.

As far as shopping in east Charlotte, is the Mint Hill thing still supposed to happen?
You mean Stallings? Media reporting that it won't happen:

Firms back single site for outlets | CharlotteObserver.com

Here's the press release from Tanger:

Simon Property Group, Inc : Simon Property Group and Tanger Factory Outlet Centers Announce a Joint Venture to Develop Two New Outlet Projects in the United States | 4-Traders

Old 11-28-2012, 07:27 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times
The Stallings one is the one referenced in the OP. I know these 2 both would have been outlet malls, I was just curious if the proposed regular mall was still supposed to be happening in Mint Hill.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:21 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,184,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
The Stallings one is the one referenced in the OP. I know these 2 both would have been outlet malls, I was just curious if the proposed regular mall was still supposed to be happening in Mint Hill.
No one will provide a straight answer about "The Bridges at Mint Hill". That's probably why JC Penney didn't wait and opened a store in Matthews. I wouldn't be surprised if Belk did the same thing in that area.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
No one will provide a straight answer about "The Bridges at Mint Hill". That's probably why JC Penney didn't wait and opened a store in Matthews. I wouldn't be surprised if Belk did the same thing in that area.
Might be good to break off into its own thread. I'd be interested in hearing more.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:32 PM

601 posts, read 964,506 times
The reason why the Bridges at Mint Hill hasn't been built yet is because the original developer had filed for bankruptcy, and issues revolving around the environment on the work site (danger to the Carolina heel splitter mussel). However, as of early 2012, another developer has now taken over, and are slowing hoping they can begin work on the site as soon as possible.

It should be noted that this mall will be built to be an outdoor mall, a second one to be built in NC after the Streets at Southpoint in Durham (which is only a partial outdoor mall). If I recall correctly, it is suppose to have three tenant stores. Since JC Penney is in Matthews, I would presume that Dillards and Belks will still have their stores built there, along with another major retailer. Or, use the third for a movie theater, or something.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:32 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
The good news about this is that Mecklenburg's transit tax will get a boost from the Steele Creek location. Stallings would have gone to Union county.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
The good news about this is that Mecklenburg's transit tax will get a boost from the Steele Creek location. Stallings would have gone to Union county.
I never understood how Stallings could be in two counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte