Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 05:18 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,553,480 times

Advertisements

For the newcomers:

If you are from an area that has major snowfalls in the winter, you are doubtless wondering what all the fuss is about - w/ predictions of a snowfall.

Please be aware that snow here usually means treacherous ICE, as snow falls, looks pretty, melts and re-freezes into a sheet of black ice.

Since we do not have plows and salt equipment on even a fraction of the level that you had in the NE or Midwest . . . roads will NOT be scraped and salted and sanded as you were used to. Therefore, roads can quickly b/c hazardous.

Also, the second problem is power outages. Ice on lines here causes massive power outages. We had a forecast for snow in 2002 and it ended up being a terrible ice storm, that put over 1 million people in this region w/o power for five days (and longer).

So please take some time to stock up on any food you may need to get through a power outage, such as tuna, crackers, etc. And baby food and diapers will be needed as well.

Also, if the power is off, you won't be able to fill up on gas, so get that this evening.

Make sure you have batteries for flashlights and candles w/ hurricane lamps so kids/animals do not knock them over or catch clothing on the flame and start a fire.

Use your outdoor grill for cooking (if you need charcoal - get it now!!!) but do not cook in the garage as that can cause carbon monoxide poisoning.

Turn your refrigerator and freezer settings to maximum cold, so food will stay cold longer in the event of an outage.

Hopefully, this won't be a storm w/ ice and the accompanying power outages. However, doing a few things for your own comfort in the hours preceding a storm can mean a lot less of a hassle while without power, if that should happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 05:56 PM

129 posts, read 339,329 times
OMG Everyone PANIC!

I just couldn't help myself.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:04 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,800,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Fawkes View Post
OMG Everyone PANIC!

I just couldn't help myself.

If we get ice you'll wish you have followed Ani's advice

Old 01-19-2009, 06:34 PM

1,521 posts, read 4,955,218 times
yeah, every year you hear about last year in so and so we had x amount of snow whats the deal. Dude, I could care less no-one can drive on ice even if you drove in "it" for 20+ years!

Old 01-19-2009, 06:34 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,877,205 times
Pretty much the same advice for a hurricane. Power lines down, trees instead of black ice making roads impassable, hot instead of cold in the house. Keep this advice for the summer, too!

Old 01-19-2009, 06:52 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,553,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Pretty much the same advice for a hurricane. Power lines down, trees instead of black ice making roads impassable, hot instead of cold in the house. Keep this advice for the summer, too!
Oh, those power outages!!! When I lived in the Midwest, we had these god-awful blizzards and 13 " of snow, followed by 6 " three days later, followed by . . . well, you get what I am saying . . . and somehow - we never had power outages. The longest power outage I ever endured was less than a day.

I guess we just have too many trees here!!!

Old 01-19-2009, 07:32 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,051,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Oh, those power outages!!! When I lived in the Midwest, we had these god-awful blizzards and 13 " of snow, followed by 6 " three days later, followed by . . . well, you get what I am saying . . . and somehow - we never had power outages. The longest power outage I ever endured was less than a day.

I guess we just have too many trees here!!!
No, Ani, underground utilities. The wires that DO exist are made for that kind of weather.

..and more stringent standards. Laws require the utility companies to repair any outages quickly. My father used to work for the telephone co. and if telephone service (via the telephone wires) was down due to an ice storm, it was required to be restored within 24 hours...no excuses.

That mindset is what made my father very upset that we were out of both telephone/electric service for almost 2 weeks after Hugo...he threatened to climb the telephone pole and repair it himself!! (he was suffering from early altzheimer's)

Old 01-19-2009, 07:43 PM

129 posts, read 339,329 times
I know, I'm a smarty pants. I'm glad you can take a bit of a ribbing undeservedly, the silly smile on my face might not have traveled the interwebs as well as I could hope. Black ice is bad news.

But, I hope it snows a bunch and we all get to spend time with our family , or doing a bit of early spring cleaning. Or just not going to work?

Old 01-19-2009, 08:11 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,981,495 times
At least when the trees do come down I now have a chainsaw so I can cut them up up pop them in the fireplace.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:13 PM

236 posts, read 696,230 times
Great White Death 2009!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte