Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 01:51 PM

45,217 posts, read 101,138,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Here are some girls snowboarding on the street near my house. I had to block out their faces, but you get the idea. That is like a sheet of ice where they are sledding.
Ani, this looks like so much fun!!! Wish my street had that much of an incline i'd be right out there with the kids, lol! Hey, is THAT why you haven't posted in a few hours, hmmmm??? Are you outside playing??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 01:57 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,813,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Ani, this looks like so much fun!!! Wish my street had that much of an incline i'd be right out there with the kids, lol! Hey, is THAT why you haven't posted in a few hours, hmmmm??? Are you outside playing??
HA HA HA!!! Well, I got out early and took pictures. Then those sweet girls came by the house - I told them to stop by and give me their email addies and I would email the pix. So they came by and visited w/ Miss Scarlett and me for a while . . .

And glad to report - the sun has melted ALL the snow on my driveway and on that street where the girls were snowboarding!! Looks very dry, so I don't think there will be any problem w/ black ice tonite/tomorrow morning.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:07 PM

11,839 posts, read 29,105,976 times
You may want to keep your fingers crossed anyways. Some drivers are ice magnets.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:05 PM

11 posts, read 34,349 times
It came with ice up here in the Sparta, NC area. My driveway is so bad off, my 4 ton Diesel pickup could not get out of my driveway, with 4x4 low range and snow tires with chains.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyE View Post
It came with ice up here in the Sparta, NC area. My driveway is so bad off, my 4 ton Diesel pickup could not get out of my driveway, with 4x4 low range and snow tires with chains.
Hey, Tommy! How much did you get up there? How bad is the ice - any power outages?

Travel safe . . .

Old 01-20-2009, 05:35 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,356,279 times
So far, so good.
I have only lost power ONCE in 11 years in this house.
Even the 2000 (or was it 2001) 12" storm did not take our power out.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
So far, so good.
I have only lost power ONCE in 11 years in this house.
Even the 2000 (or was it 2001) 12" storm did not take our power out.
That is wonderful - an excellent track record!!! One reason I chose my neighborhood was b/c of underground utilities. Little did I know - we are on the end of some sort of node thingie, LOL - okay, I don't know how to describe it - we are at the end of a grid or something. Duke Power assures me this will change in the near future, b/c of the way they are routing power. Again, I don't understand what the heck they mean . . . but sure hope we won't be so susceptible to power outages in the future. They told me the whole street behind me, wh/ often has power when we don't, will be somehow tied in w/ ours at some point and then that will improve the stability of the system. Or something like that!!!!

Old 01-21-2009, 08:06 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,105,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNaomi View Post
On one hand, as a northerner, it seems absolutely absurd to me that schools are closed and people are warning others about the hazards here on cd. In the midwest this much snow barely even warrants plowing, let alone staying home, so it's difficult to understand what's going on here.

On the other hand, I will say that I appreciate the advice from all the locals and will follow it! Anyone else know the SURVIVAL acronym?? the 'A'=Act Like the Natives. If the natives say that snow may lead to outages and basic preparations should be taken, no matter how goofy that may seem to me, I will happily take their advice! Thanks Ani!
Hi, Naomi, yes, I do understand your confusion (from one Chicagoan to another). But, after I slipped and "skated" my way to work just getting out of my subdivision...and, yes, I knew how to do that without killing people or wrecking...I was really glad that they canceled school. Most folks down here don't know how to drive in this or are cocky: "I'm from ________ and this is no problem!" and that makes them very dangerous. The way the roads are (or are not, really) cleared is what makes the difference. We have a lot of black ice down here and they don't clear the subdivisions or even the "main" roads within the subdivisions. Here is a photo that my son took of folks trying to get out of my subdivision (after I had already gone to work). Actually, it appears that you are going to have to see it on the other thread. It won't let me post it twice?? 3"-6" Inches of snow tommorow (1/20/09)?

Old 01-21-2009, 09:12 AM

11,839 posts, read 29,105,976 times
The secondary roads & highways around the city were in great shape around 1pm yesterday. Apparently all we needed this time was a bit of sunshine to start the melting process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte