Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 07:03 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,048,794 times

Advertisements

This year has been a horrible year for this bank. We can banter about and say whose fault it was/is, and carry on about the shareholders loosing their shirts with the bottom-scraping share prices...But, at the end of the day, Charlotte is loosing a major banking headquarters in just a few weeks. The city will suffer this loss because it was a home-grown institution that made it big; and thus, that prestige will no longer be "ours". Employees are sure to suffer, although numbers are not yet known. Quite honestly, they have already suffered though the months of being in limbo and the emotional highs and lows throughout this mess.

It is like a death in the family of Charlotte. Good or bad, I am mourning the loss of this (formerly) great institution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 07:10 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,737,657 times
I know several people who work for the bank who all fear their jobs will be lost soon...

Not a good feeling....

Old 12-20-2008, 08:29 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,313,302 times
This is a good point Chicago. Wachovia and First Union for that matter were homegrown NC banks. I am sad to hear about this happening. But in the end, this will better Charlotte because we will adapt and improve as a city, just like we did from cotton mills to textiles to manufactoring to distribution to banking to the future. I wish those affected best wishes and I hope they gey duly compensated until then.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:40 PM

If Ken Thompson had a soul, he'd take the millions from the golden parachute he got and try to help out the people he put on the streets...

Just another Bernie Madoff IMO....

Old 12-21-2008, 07:32 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,048,794 times
Well, an article I read recently said that the Feds were investigating the whole lot; the Sandlers, Golden West as well as Thompson & clan. There might be justice, but, it will be too late.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:49 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,413,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
If Ken Thompson had a soul, he'd take the millions from the golden parachute he got and try to help out the people he put on the streets...

Just another Bernie Madoff IMO....

Ken Thompson didn't break any laws in acquiring Golden West. If he was convinced that the deal would ultimately cost him his job and bring Wachovia down, he never would've gone forth with it. Bernie Madoff intentionally stole billions from his clients. Big difference.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:14 AM

189 posts, read 580,695 times
Unfortunately thats business. I realize some Wachovia employees fear layoffs, but look at everyone else out there who have already lost their jobs? Its a tough economy right now so I hope everyone can enjoy the holidays and that things slowly improve in 2009.

Plus when you think things are that bad be thankful that you have your health. It really puts things in proper perspective!

Old 12-21-2008, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Ken Thompson didn't break any laws in acquiring Golden West. If he was convinced that the deal would ultimately cost him his job and bring Wachovia down, he never would've gone forth with it. Bernie Madoff intentionally stole billions from his clients. Big difference.
I know and understand that. Legally Ken Thompson will hide behind the fact (like all CEO's do) that these terms were negotiated long ago yada, yada yada....

You can be scott free legally , but ethically this guy has blood on his hands IMO....I know if I made a decision and performed so poorly to put thousands out on the street, (and still be filthy rich), I'd try to do something to help those people out.....that's just me.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:23 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,868,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew0020 View Post
Unfortunately thats business. I realize some Wachovia employees fear layoffs, but look at everyone else out there who have already lost their jobs? Its a tough economy right now so I hope everyone can enjoy the holidays and that things slowly improve in 2009.

Plus when you think things are that bad be thankful that you have your health. It really puts things in proper perspective!
Gee, I would have never thought to look at it that way! Hey honey- dont sweat losing your job at Wachovia, because hundreds of others before you already have!

Dont worry that the house might be foreclosed on, because hundreds of others before us have had their houses foreclosed on!

Dont worry about having to live in a box under a bridge somewhere, because hundreds of others already do!

Hey, and we always have our health- as long as we dont freeze to death!!

Boy, you're right! When I put it in perspective I almost feel celebratory at the thought of my DW losing her job!

Old 12-21-2008, 11:24 AM

189 posts, read 580,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Gee, I would have never thought to look at it that way! Hey honey- dont sweat losing your job at Wachovia, because hundreds of others before you already have!

Dont worry that the house might be foreclosed on, because hundreds of others before us have had their houses foreclosed on!

Dont worry about having to live in a box under a bridge somewhere, because hundreds of others already do!

Hey, and we always have our health- as long as we dont freeze to death!!

Boy, you're right! When I put it in perspective I almost feel celebratory at the thought of my DW losing her job!
Thats the Christmas spirit at work. Geez! I didnt say not to worry, but just to put it in perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte