Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 01:56 PM

161 posts, read 423,156 times

Advertisements

Christmas Cheer was brought up this way:

Quote:
We may end up on the chopping block, your neighbor may too - no one knows, not here not there. But we are only as good as the information we are given and at the moment this is the word and the actions already taking place. Lets just hope things do not worsen that will alert another change. The economy is just wacky lolol.

Either way stressing over it a few sleeps before the jolly guy will not help the Christmas Spirit lol
Gee maybe next time I will say Merry Christmas instead of not stressing over it at this point and time. Christmas is still on the Calendar. Granted we are helping others who signed up for certain things more so this year. We have cut way back and saving and preparing for this whole Wachovia mess. Like anyone should. If that means anything bad then oops!

Quote:
all the Christmas Cheer in the world doesn't mean a thing to anyone who knows full well the chances are higher than 70-30 that they are going to lose their jobs in a few months (if not sooner).
I dont know if were safe in a few months but I will not let it put a grinch in making a smile on my face or greeting others with kindness. Life goes on. I am choosing to make a positive time out of a holiday week with out the materialistic views of what is under the tree. Everyone is celebrating in their own ways that fits them. Granted were Charlie Brown-ish but my kids will see us smiling and happy.

Anyways just wanted to toss in where Christmas was infact brought up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 02:14 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Awwww - emagine - we know your heart is in the right place. Just hard for some of us more cynical types to feel much cheer right now . . . Tis the Season, yes . . . but for some of us, that makes the whole situation w/ facing layoffs even more ironic . . . Bless you for being able to smile and be a pleasant person despite it all.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:36 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,401,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emagine View Post
Christmas Cheer was brought up this way:

Gee maybe next time I will say Merry Christmas instead of not stressing over it at this point and time. Christmas is still on the Calendar. Granted we are helping others who signed up for certain things more so this year. We have cut way back and saving and preparing for this whole Wachovia mess. Like anyone should. If that means anything bad then oops!

I dont know if were safe in a few months but I will not let it put a grinch in making a smile on my face or greeting others with kindness. Life goes on. I am choosing to make a positive time out of a holiday week with out the materialistic views of what is under the tree. Everyone is celebrating in their own ways that fits them. Granted were Charlie Brown-ish but my kids will see us smiling and happy.

Anyways just wanted to toss in where Christmas was infact brought up.
I'm with you there. I had a brutal spring and summer this year. I mean brutal. Between my own job loss at Wachovia to a surreal string of events back in August and September, I could very easily have an excuse to bag this Christmas and wait until the next one. It would probably reflect in every single I thing I do. Even the tone of my posts on here would probably reflect that. My posts aren't an act, the guy you see on here is pretty much the guy in real life. I'm pretty open and don't hide much.

YouTube - Charlie Brown Christmas

However no company and nobody is going to control my emotions or happiness. The only person who I give that type of control over to is me. And I'll be damned if I'm giving that up. I'm enjoying this holiday season and doing so effortlessly, regardless of my situation. Because yeah, it can always be worse, even around Christmastime.

YouTube - Merry Christmas from Iraq

YouTube - Christmas Military Greetings From Our Soldiers

Old 12-22-2008, 04:27 PM

You go, Brian. It is a good thing to transcend the gloom and doom and live in the moment. When in a crisis situation, that is hard for me to do . . . but it is definitely a lot healthier . . .

Old 12-22-2008, 05:30 PM

161 posts, read 423,156 times
TY Ani and Brian

Old 12-22-2008, 07:06 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
This has been an interesting discussion. I tend to be a "realist" too...

I started this thread as an ode to a departing bank that was a great contributor to this city both in charitable works as well as being a great employer. Tomorrow will be the "official" vote, and within a week, it will become Wells Fargo. The coming month(s) will be interesting for the employees and for the city. I only hope that we as a city are sufficiently prepared for what may come.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
This has been an interesting discussion. I tend to be a "realist" too...

I started this thread as an ode to a departing bank that was a great contributor to this city both in charitable works as well as being a great employer. Tomorrow will be the "official" vote, and within a week, it will become Wells Fargo. The coming month(s) will be interesting for the employees and for the city. I only hope that we as a city are sufficiently prepared for what may come.
I totally understand where you are coming from with this, CHI. I, too, have been really saddened by the loss of a "home grown" bank . . . and what it has meant to the community.

I feel CLT is a strong community and I pray we will all rally together to do our best to weather the changes.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:12 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,152,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
I'm with you there. I had a brutal spring and summer this year. I mean brutal. Between my own job loss at Wachovia to a surreal string of events back in August and September, I could very easily have an excuse to bag this Christmas and wait until the next one. It would probably reflect in every single I thing I do. Even the tone of my posts on here would probably reflect that. My posts aren't an act, the guy you see on here is pretty much the guy in real life. I'm pretty open and don't hide much.

YouTube - Charlie Brown Christmas

However no company and nobody is going to control my emotions or happiness. The only person who I give that type of control over to is me. And I'll be damned if I'm giving that up. I'm enjoying this holiday season and doing so effortlessly, regardless of my situation. Because yeah, it can always be worse, even around Christmastime.

YouTube - Merry Christmas from Iraq

YouTube - Christmas Military Greetings From Our Soldiers
Awesome my friend! Simply awesome!

Life isn't easy and a lot of people have their own, personal situations.

But I think if people look and focus on the positve things, the good things they have in their lives; we can all rise up and out of the shadow of negative gloom.

Great, loved friends......two wonderful little boys I dearly love......and a lot of other positive things in my life; completely pulverize the negatives and leave them in the dust.

More important to appreciate the wonderful things we have and the good things in life, rather than dwell on the negative things or things we don't have.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:26 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,550,237 times
Wachovia really doesn't have any real ties to Charlotte. It was founded in Winston-Salem. I work for Wachovia and was actually a First Union Employee (Go GREEN!). I have no real ties to Wachovia except a paycheck & benefits...so working for Wells Fargo will be like working for Wachovia. I actually wish First Union was still here. First Union was founded in Charlotte and had strong Charlotte ties.

There is no such thing as retirement now a days from just about any company...so I am not attached to any corporation. No corporation will ever run my life...even though I do appreciate the pay check & benefits.

My partner works in Corporate Real Estate at Bank of America and is probably gonna loose his job. Oh well. Life goes on. We have saved for a rainy day and made wise investments and have no debt except 2 mortgages Uptown. GOD is good and he is not gonna just gonna kick us to the curb.

Always remember that there is always someone out there worse off than you...always!

Old 12-23-2008, 10:33 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,052,845 times
I don't feel an attachment to corporations either. They are heartless, soulless, have no thoughts or feelings. It's all about bottom line and money. I feel horrible for the people losing their jobs, benefits, and shares. But for a corporation to go down, to me it's not the end of the world. If my best friend or my neighbor had a business that was going under, then yes I would feel awful and sad. A person who puts their blood, sweat and tears and cares about their employees is what would matter to me. Those are the businesses that I'd be sad to see go. The mom and pop shop or the business that a father grew and gave to his son who grew it more.

I was watching a show on GM on CNBC and this guy had a auto parts business of some sort. His dad started it a long time ago and then his son took over. Never did they lay off a person even during bad times. This is the first time he had to do it and he looked like he was in tears. *That* breaks my heart. A corporation going under doesn't break my heart.

If more and more corporations go under, is it such a bad thing? Why can't we start our businesses? Be more innovative, more creative, etc? I feel we need to stop relying on the corporations and government to provide for us. We need to do it on our own. I'm tired of worrying about layoffs all the time. I've already gone thru them enough and I'm only 29. I'm tired of being scared and wondering whether I'll be laid off bc I'm dependent upon them for my livelihood.

I think we should take this as an opportunity to do something different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte