Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 05:56 PM

197 posts, read 479,472 times

Advertisements

I live on Robinson Church rd and grew up in the Hickory grove area.

Eastland mall really went down hill about 10 yrs ago but then we had a HUGE gang riot and it really took a splat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 02:14 AM

3 posts, read 4,824 times
I have only been there only once which was 3 yrs ago and I dont think i will ever go there again thought it is a big mall. Its a really uncomfortable mall.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:06 AM

5 posts, read 12,515 times
I too lived there from 1988 to 1998, at first Eastland was great, I have been gone for 10 years and rode by Eastland the other day, boy, shocked was not EVEN the word. Talked to a friend who said the ice skating rink was gone. What a shame, we too, so enjoyed that. The crime in that area must be awful, I would be petrified to even get out of my car. I used to be a real estate appraiser in the area and could not believe the decline. What stores are left in the mall? Is anyone brave enough to know?

Old 01-07-2010, 06:12 AM

Default Malls Declining

I live in Camden South Carolina and have seen most of the malls in Columbia, SC decline for the last few years. We had a wonderful mall on Harbison that was just perfect until they let the public bus system, now its had a few shootings and god only knows what else, I don't go any more, its a damn shame that the riff raff in this country RUINS it for all of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
I'm not really surprised with Carolina Place going downhill for the reasons mentioned above. South Park is pretty well insulated and will be the last mall to see any trouble like Eastland. Just not in the cards.

I remember shopping at Eastland as late as 1999-2000. It was not on the way out. It was way out. I remember hearing of robberies in the parking lot, especially under the parking deck. Lots of stores would be stolen blind. Problems abound.

I had family that lived in that area up until the mid-90's and they moved before things got to where they are now. My stepbrother moved into Sailboat Bay on Albemarle and the very first day he was there he was told by another renter that he should get a gun. Not think about it. Do it imediately. 2 days later someone broke into his apartment while he was gone but his girlfriend was there in the shower. They left that day.

Putt Putt, Harris Teeter, movie theaters, record shops, etc. saw reason to pull out of the area. I think it would be interesting to put together a list of all the business that left the area because of the problems that came about in the 90s. I'd bet it would be a LONG list.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:14 AM

Default Problem

I would venture to say that also the quality of people in that area is a BIGGER problem, why fix it up for them to tear it up again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
MZD: That is the plan I referred to in an earlier post! So glad you found it and posted a link!!! Seems I checked into this in 2007 and found hardly anything had happened in re: to implementing that plan. I guess the problem has been funding.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:25 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,464,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsusieq View Post
I would venture to say that also the quality of people in that area is a BIGGER problem, why fix it up for them to tear it up again?
I see this as an effort to lay the ground work for some future gentrification when the market turns around. Make a nice and desirable area to live around again and property values will go up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte