Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 05:32 AM

149 posts, read 644,717 times

Advertisements

i just found a job and will be working very close by to the eastland mall. I have not heard god things about that neighborhood. should I be wooried?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 07:10 AM

47 posts, read 102,048 times
hell yeah. That is a bad area of Charlotte.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:51 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,319,908 times
I am not too concerned when I am on that side of town, but I am armed.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:17 AM

since I work at a bank I cant be armed. any other suggestions?

Old 12-23-2007, 08:31 AM

47 posts, read 102,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robz View Post

Yeah, don't carry anything valuable with you.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:43 AM

674 posts, read 805,496 times
Quote:
Don't freak out about it-- I once considered a job at a non-profit over there and the area would not have frightened me out of the job. These are the precautions to take:

Keep aware of your surroundings at all times
Do not leave anything in your vehicle
Do not carry valuables on your person, including little cash and leave all non-essential credit cards and checkbooks at home.

I also recommend walking in pairs to your vehicles, while keeping an eye on your surroundings.

Basically, these are things we should all do everywhere anyway.

People who have lived in Charlotte a long time or have come from smaller towns have a skewed view of what is a HIGHLY dangerous area. For Charlotte, the Eastland area is high crime--but it's no Cabrini Green circa 1982 for pete's sake. No, I would not live there, I would not be THRILLED to work there, but it's not like people are mugged or murdered there weekly or anything.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:21 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,524,305 times
Default Some other suggestions

Quote:
Good advice from NCIG. I add:

Carry your keys in your hand while walking to your car, and put mace on your keychain.

Wear no expensive jewelry, including your watch.

Always be alert of your surroundings; the crime of opportunity almost always happens to a victim who appears to be distracted or unaware. That would include not walking w/ ear buds in place while listening to MP3 player.

If you don't have to carry your laptop, then don't. If you have to carry an attache, make it a simple one made of nylon/ripstop fabric - something that doesn't yell "expensive."

Crime can happen anywhere, even tho some areas are more likely pockets of crime. Do all you can to keep yourself from looking like an easy target . . . or someone "worth" mugging. The stats support - most of us will never be a mugging or carjacking victim. Just pay attention.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:39 AM

thanks for some good advice. stupid question, If this is a well known trouble spot why doesnt the city do somthing to clean it up?

Old 12-23-2007, 09:42 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,671,150 times
Quote:
thanks for some good advice. stupid question, If this is a well known trouble spot why doesnt the city do somthing to clean it up?
The thugs have to have somewhere to play, after all, this isn't utopia.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:51 AM

674 posts, read 805,496 times
Quote:
They do plenty of patrols. This is a city, not Mayberry. There are trouble spots. Police respond to crime, and rarely have time to prevent crime.

Again, it is a poorer area with problems, but it's not a death trap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte