Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 10:38 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnative View Post
Loves, I may be confusing it with another store, too, but didn't they run it as a clearance center for a while. I recall going there and thinking it was full of junk - not the normal Uptons that I loved so well.
I just checked with someone in the area and we are all correct...
It was closed for about two years or so, then reopened as a "clearance center" like you remember for a time until it finally shut it doors for good around 1999
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 04:42 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,340,944 times
Hi all,

I used to work at the Firestone in the parking lot (formerly JC Penney auto center). It's been over 10 years since I was in Charlotte and from what I have read in this thread, it sounds like most of the businesses in Eastland have left and now it is an empty or near-empty shell. Would that be accurate? I take it the ice rink is no more as well?

Is the Tire Station on Albemarle Road just past Eastland still in business? I was working there when I left to work at Arnold Palmer Cadillac on Independence.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:31 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,947,412 times
I'd been to Eastland once or twice since I moved here in 1996. I remember hearing on the news about a gunfight in the parking lot sometime around Christmas one year & I never went back. I've driven by the mall plenty of times over the past few years & always have wondered what they plan to do with the area. Then again the area surrounding Eastland can't seem to make any decent restaurants or stores work either.

As for Carolina Place, well I've heard reports on the news about shots exchanged in the parking lot by people fighting over a parking space. But that was an isolated report a few years back. I've never felt threatened or menaced while wandering around there.

Old 12-20-2009, 04:45 PM

Latest news on Eastland Mall...

Eastland spirit on display - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/local/story/1134905.html - broken link)

Old 12-20-2009, 05:15 PM

2,353 posts, read 4,652,923 times
What a positive story! I know people will bash it (I didn't read the comments on the article, 'cause I didn't want to hear it!), but it really is small, dedicated groups like that, that can make a difference. Truly grass-roots! Thanks for the post.

Old 12-20-2009, 05:18 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Latest news on Eastland Mall...

Eastland spirit on display - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/local/story/1134905.html - broken link)
That such a positive thing to do with this mall. Dont tear it down but turn it into a community center like Concrete2Green soccer complex, the Weed and Seed are doing a part in.

Old 12-20-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
That such a positive thing to do with this mall. Dont tear it down but turn it into a community center like Concrete2Green soccer complex, the Weed and Seed are doing a part in.
I agree! I am pleasantly surprised to hear they've turned the old ice rink into a soccer complex, what a great idea!

Old 12-21-2009, 11:52 AM

3 posts, read 4,804 times
It truly was a great place when I worked there about 15 or more yrs ago the skating rink was the happening place for the kids to play while the parents watched or shopped the game room and the theaters seemed to always be packed with people having harmless fun! The food court was always kept fairly well and good quick food.... The vendors and their employees seemed to truly care about the customer service and the customers seemed to appreciate all the mall had to offer, But not even 2 months after moving to lincolnton I went back to visit and you could see a sudden change stores were closing and I had heard crime rate was at the highest and some I was told were truly afraid to come there and some what of the same I was told was happening at sp and cp malls by various workers.....I was hoping and praying that things had changed but from what I hear and have read sadly they have not.... Dont know if this was any help to you but I hope it was!!

Old 12-21-2009, 11:56 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by levinsam View Post
It truly was a great place when I worked there about 15 or more yrs ago the skating rink was the happening place for the kids to play while the parents watched or shopped the game room and the theaters seemed to always be packed with people having harmless fun! The food court was always kept fairly well and good quick food.... The vendors and their employees seemed to truly care about the customer service and the customers seemed to appreciate all the mall had to offer, But not even 2 months after moving to lincolnton I went back to visit and you could see a sudden change stores were closing and I had heard crime rate was at the highest and some I was told were truly afraid to come there and some what of the same I was told was happening at sp and cp malls by various workers.....I was hoping and praying that things had changed but from what I hear and have read sadly they have not.... Dont know if this was any help to you but I hope it was!!

If you read post #44 you will see things are changing for the better

Old 12-24-2009, 04:03 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,978,185 times
There are bulldozers working on the old Upton's site, so if you think an empty lot is an improvement, that will be coming soon, LOL

I used to live off Lawyer's road in 2003. Albemarle, Central and Sharon Amity appear more dilapidated than I remember them, although there are a few dots of re-investment here and there. I think the area begins to improve and look more lively, going north up WT Harris towards Hickory Grove.

The apartments behind the McDonalds on Albemarle are looking *really* trashy... siding is peeling off and windows are out-of-kilter in their frames.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte