Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2008, 04:37 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,660,830 times

Advertisements

There was a house out in Mint Hill where a guy did the music and lights thing. It was incredible!

Old 11-25-2008, 04:57 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
I have been through every channel possible. I have lawyers working on the long-term items that will allow us to legally separate the assets. Whether or not my wife qualifies for Medicaid is moot, since there aren't many facilities that accept Medicaid payment (I'm on all of their waiting lists. Right now they're telling me it could be 4-6 years for beds to come available) and the only ones who do are Nursing Homes, which I deep-down don't feel is the right thing for her yet. Getting any assistance when both of you are way under age 55 is pretty much impossible. Agencies that assist the elderly are funded by organizations like the AARP and strictly mandate the "55 and over" age restrictions. The same policies apply to retirement communities and senior apartment complexes.
Can you try for in home assistance as a stop-gap? They tend to be more liberal with that. Once you're there, it should be easier to get the assisted living, since you are already in the system.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:40 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,865,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
I have been through every channel possible. I have lawyers working on the long-term items that will allow us to legally separate the assets. Whether or not my wife qualifies for Medicaid is moot, since there aren't many facilities that accept Medicaid payment (I'm on all of their waiting lists. Right now they're telling me it could be 4-6 years for beds to come available) and the only ones who do are Nursing Homes, which I deep-down don't feel is the right thing for her yet. Getting any assistance when both of you are way under age 55 is pretty much impossible. Agencies that assist the elderly are funded by organizations like the AARP and strictly mandate the "55 and over" age restrictions. The same policies apply to retirement communities and senior apartment complexes.
Have you investigated in-home care at all? This is certainly much more affordable than assisted living. It is quite possible that an aide could meet your wife's needs. It breaks my heart that divorce for the preservation of assets has even had to be mentioned. Our medicare/medicaid system is so screwed up that it makes me want to vomit!! I will be praying for you!!

Old 11-25-2008, 07:06 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,703,735 times
Default Feeding trolls and abusive people

I have thought about this subject for a very long time. Let me be the first to say that I am 100% guilty of falling into the trap of trying to respond (or defend/attack) posters that are totally wacked, abusive, racists and well. .you get the picture.

Lately, I have come to a certain peace with myself and now try to be creative and have some fun with these types of people. I try to be more creative (read sarcastic) with my posts but, unfortionately, most of the times even that doesn't work because. . . who know?

There are one or two individuals on CLT. City Data that I really can't understand. One individual in particular is so blatant in his dislike of transplants, particulary with folks from the NE, that sometimes I really think he is mearly trying to pull our chain to get a rise out of us.It's hard to believe that he would be so open about his views and show how ignorant a person he really is.Believe me in that I really try to understand why he feels his world has been taken away from him. So angry. So bitter. So arrogant. Probably a nice guy if he didn't have that anoynomous weapon in his hands, his keyboard

I guess the point I'm leading up to is: Is it human nature to defend oneself no matter it be a keyboard or a spiked mace? With all of the other work, problems, stress. that we otherwise have, why do we devote time in our day responding to people we don't even know. These people will not make one iota of difference in our lives yet we let them enter into our being.

Some posters are wise and have a lot of patience. They answer as nothing negative or abusive was said. Water off a duck's back.
On the other hand, I am inclined to shout out WTF? That's just me and I doubt at the age of 100 something I can change now.

In either case why do we all devote the kind of time that we do to dumbbells that are only there to amuse themselves by getting a rise out of a group?
Ex: "Charlotte sucks". "New Yorkers suck". "CD posters suck" (today)
Next thing you know someone will come on board and say "Everybody that sucks sucks" LOL as to how we answer that one.

Anyway, what's your take on this subject. . .I'm done with my rambling.

John

Old 11-25-2008, 07:19 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
please take discussion via of the forum members elsewhere and not here please

from the terms of service.
Quote:
Our opinions on a location or issue are just that, opinions. Highly subjective. Personal preferences. Quirks, even. Leave wiggle room for dialogue, others may not see things the same as you, or been there as long as you, and any one of us can be wrong. Pouncing on someone you disagree with runs contrary to the spirit of this board and its members. We are here to help each other.
end of discussion any concerns address it to me in DM or a senior moderator

Old 11-25-2008, 07:29 PM

221 posts, read 724,453 times
Brian,

That is a cute video. Never would have seen that otherwise. OMG...i think that it will be stuck in my head now.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
I'm breaking out a holiday favorite starting with New Jersey's own...

YouTube - Fountains Of Wayne: I Want An Alien For Christmas

Old 11-25-2008, 07:47 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,406,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti1042 View Post
Brian,

That is a cute video. Never would have seen that otherwise. OMG...i think that it will be stuck in my head now.....

They have another Christmas tune called "Man in the Santa Suit" about a guy at a Knights of Columbus who works as a mall Santa just for the money. The guy can't stand kids but at least the KoC is getting paid. Unfortunately nobody's put anything with that song up on youtube.

Fountains of Wayne are famous for their really catchy hooks that never leave your head. Real great power pop stuff.

Stacy's Mom:
YouTube - Fountains Of Wayne - Stacy's mom

Radiation Vibe:
YouTube - Fountains of Wayne - Radiation Vibe (ORIGINAL)

Hackensack:
YouTube - Fountains of Wayne - Hackensack

Old 11-25-2008, 07:53 PM

221 posts, read 724,453 times
Default I love it!

Brian,

I love the Sandstorm lights display. This is just so fasinating how much time and energy people put into creating their winter wonderlands.
We used to visit several homes that got together and did this very type of synchonized lights and it was just amazing. Talk about traffic jams. Here is a link to it Rawls Road Christmas Homepage
This used to be our annual tradition to visit. If I remember correctly, their electric bill was around $4000 for for the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Second round of holiday music findings, this time house lights synched to music (where do people find the time to pull this sort of thing off???).

"Hallelujah" by Mannheim Steamroller:
YouTube - Christmas Lights - Mannheim Steamroller - Hallelujah - 2007

And one for the techno crew that suddenly popped up this morning:
YouTube - Sandstorm Christmas Lights Techno

Old 11-25-2008, 08:14 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
I love those synchronized lights . . . but only for a little while at a time. I can't imagine living w/ that going on and on . . . and $4000 for light display . . . I would have to be very very wealthy to spend that much on lights, LOL. But I love seeing what others have done!!! It really is an art form!! And you gotta give to anyone who figures all that out . . . amazing feat!

Old 11-26-2008, 07:29 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,865,439 times
It's exciting that the folks who have left their Christmas lights up all year will soon be able to get use out of them again! Do people that do this add a little more each year, or is it strictly out of laziness?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte