Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 10:36 PM

74 posts, read 142,728 times

Advertisements

I have about a week til I move to Charlotte and help clean up the economic mess. lol j/k Anyway I have to figure out where I'm going to take up residency in. I'm a 22 male and want to live near the young crowd. I was told Dilworth, Uptown, and Elizabeth are good choices for that criteria. However I also read that Dilworth has become more of a "stroller" type community for young newly weds/children. Something has recently been driving me towards the South Park area. Seems like a lot of stuff there is relatively new and I prefer new apartment communities. Is South Park an area with a growing number of younger people or should I maybe try looking maybe more towards uptown? I figured South Park would also be a little cheaper than uptown. I'll provide more info if needed.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 06:23 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times
Hi, DG!

Yes, we really need more info b/f anyone can advise. Are you moving here w/ a job? What area will you be commuting to? What price range for an apartment? Lots of things determine what is best for you. For ex., my son likes to be in a relatively quiet area and wants to be near workout equipment and a good place to run and bike. His friends are the same way - they prefer duplexes, apts. or houses in a more suburban setting. One bought a duplex and rents out the other side to a friend. They like having a place to grill out, do their BBQ . . . many apartments do not allow grills on the balconies . . .They are more the sports bar types than the dance club types, LOL. These guys are all 24-26, so they are a bit older than you.

So it all depends what lifestyle you want - and the price range - and where you have to commute for work.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:33 AM

26 posts, read 162,095 times
Southpark is a great place to live. I wouldn't put it as much cheaper than uptown. guess it all depends where you are talking. If you want to be near the younger crowd, go uptown or even Noda. 4 1/2 years ago when we moved to charlotte ewe moved to southpark. We lived in a townhouse apartment that was on the old side and not taken very well care of. It was a quiet place though and there were some younger folks there. We were in our mid 30's then. Back then we paid we paid around $860 for a 3 bedroom townhouse...now they are over $1000. The traffic can be really congested during rush hours in SouthPark (in any part of town actually). The nightlife is in uptown for the most part. On Thursday nights they have Live after Five thing in a couple places uptown whic hdraw large crowds. I work in uptown and work at night. When I go to work on Thursday night, it's still hopping pretty good around 10:30 and all the way till they close the bars down around 2am. Good luck on your move, we think you will REALLY enjoy it here. Charlotte has an overabundance of beautiful women. I've lived all over the country and Charlotte by far has the prettiest.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:37 AM

777 posts, read 2,567,864 times
Well it depends on what you mean by younger ;-)

I would say the apartment demographic of SouthPark is "young" but more on the lines of late 20's, early 30's. I lived in immediate SouthPark area for about 4 years (and now live about 3 miles south for the past 5 years).

You don't find too many stroller types in southpark proper (unless you are at the mall). I really enjoyed my apartment dwelling in SouthPark as there is a lot to do in a relatively small area (and everything is within 15 minute drive).

If I were to my 20 somethings again? I would probably do the SouthEnd area if I could. It isn't quite a trendy as Dilworth but has access to everything a 20 something could want...AND you can ride the train to really get to everything you need.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:17 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,714,237 times
Southpark is great but is not young and exciting like the other places you mentioned. There are lots of restaurants, etc. in Southpark but no real "bars" that would be crowded with 20-25 year olds. Its also not any cheaper.

I would go with your other options first.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:47 PM

257 posts, read 669,439 times
I would lean more towards Uptown. Look at Alpha Mills. I thought they looked nice a year ago. Also, when I lived in SouthPark I lived in the Fairington, which was a nice community. Good luck!

Old 10-01-2008, 01:23 PM

26 posts, read 162,095 times
Also, SouthPark is full of neighborhoods with families. You will have the stroller type there. Now if you center yourself in a 1/4 mile diameter of SouthPark Mall, then there will not be as much of that...It will be there though. Uptown, SouthEnd (near Uptown) and Noda are your best areas. Uptown area and South End allows you easy access to the nightlife and sporting events (Panthers and Bobcats) by either walking or catching a bus/light rail. Noda sits a little further, but is still accessible.

Old 10-01-2008, 03:22 PM

228 posts, read 910,729 times
I live in South Park and am 25 and like it! :-)

Granted, I am probably moving to Dilworth or South End when my lease is up. Mostly because I hate my roomate, less location. I live within that 1/4 of the mall so maybe that's why I like it. Restuarants all around, Angry Ale's (a bar) 4 minutes down the road (i've timed it!). I like the fact that I am within 10 minutes of everything I need and want to go to without having to actually live Uptown.

And PS..Alpha Mill does have nice apts! The rental consultants were really nice too! As a girl the location was a little weird (even though it is gated) but as a guy you may like it.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:02 PM

74 posts, read 142,728 times
Hey, thanks for the replies. I've begun looking for apartments in the Dilworth, Uptown, and Southend locations. What are anyone's opinions on Camden Dilworth? I kinda like the apartment communities. (Work out center, resident activities, and the such) I heard that it has some problems however.

Also, how about the ten 05 apartments uptown?

Old 10-02-2008, 07:02 AM

228 posts, read 910,729 times
I have a friend that lives in Camden Dilworth and likes it. The prices can be $$$ though. It has a really nice rooftop terrace with a grill and great skyline view. I thought they were nice when I looked at them...just more than I wanted to spend for the amount of space I was getting. There is also a Camden South End but I like the Dilworth location better personally.

ten 05-If this is the place I think it is I passed by them when I was searching and almost looked into them but I didn't like the location. It is around Johnson and Wales and while there are a few shops/restaurants, it's still a pretty decent walk to get to where ever else you want to go Uptown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: