Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 05:57 AM

452 posts, read 1,350,008 times

Advertisements

I dont' know some of you guys are 'Wacked" if you say this place is overrated. But that's why we are humans we all think different. As for having to get a nice house in a nice area, its not true I found a really nice home in a nice area for $197k (highland creek). So if the honeymoon is over, get back home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 06:10 AM

1,908 posts, read 5,004,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
high cost of living in NOVA? you must not be keeping an eye on the market. it may still be high, but it's 85% lower than it was two years ago.

85%???? I'll take 3, please. (did you mean 15%?)

Old 10-01-2008, 06:29 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,856,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
85%???? I'll take 3, please. (did you mean 15%?)
Me, too. I'll take 2. Love Fairfax County. Would have moved there years ago but any house I would be interested in is $800,000 up. But the drive is not that bad . . . as long as I can find gas.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:16 AM

355 posts, read 997,050 times
I LOVE CHARLOTTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! left DC and will never go back! QUEEN CITY ROCKIN!!!!! LOL!

Old 10-01-2008, 11:47 AM

54 posts, read 227,162 times
People are not rude in NYC, it's a large misconception. They are just REALLY BUSY.. nobody has the time to look up, look everyone in the eye and say with a southern accent "Hi! how are you!" Who does that anyway? When people wave at me and I don't know them, it makes me feel weird, I think it's weird! But if you were to actually talk with people, you would find they are nice.. they just don't have time for sweet tea on the porch.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:54 AM

45,217 posts, read 101,173,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnieD27 View Post
People are not rude in NYC, it's a large misconception. They are just REALLY BUSY.. nobody has the time to look up, look everyone in the eye and say with a southern accent "Hi! how are you!" Who does that anyway? When people wave at me and I don't know them, it makes me feel weird, I think it's weird! But if you were to actually talk with people, you would find they are nice.. they just don't have time for sweet tea on the porch.
You just can't stop with the insults can you? Look, I think it's been pointed out numerous times already - it is FINE with us if you don't like Charlotte, it happens. No one place is paradise for every single person. As beautiful as Hawaii is, I'd be miserable there. So leave already, but it's really rude to keep coming on here just to insult people. That you think people being friendly and waving is "weird" is YOUR problem - 99.9% of people who have come here love the friendliness of the natives. If people being friendly to you is such a foreign concept I really feel sorry for you. Oh, and by the look of all the posts this thread has gotten from other newcomers, I'd say you are in a small minority in your opinions.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:13 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,485,729 times
SunnieD27 - The waving is part of our culture (Defined as a shared, learned, symbolic system of values, beliefs and attitudes that shapes and influences perception and behavior -- an abstract "mental blueprint" or "mental code.") It sounds like you are experiencing culture shock. It's normal.

Why ask others to validate your feelings? It seems pretty obvious that you would be happier if you didn't live here. Why stay somewhere you are miserable? Your gut is telling you the answers to your questions.

ETA:
Quote:
well, you know what they say. The grass is always greener. And sometimes when you visit that green green grass.. you find that it's just not as green as you thought and it makes you come to realize where the perfect place really is for you! And perhaps that's back in DC. Family + friends.. VERY hard to move away from.. hard to stay moved away from..
You said it very well. This reminds me of a quote I read in one of those think positive thoughts books

"If the grass looks greener on the other side, you can bet the water bill is higher"

In life, there is always going to be a downside. If it's not one thing, it's something else. It's up to you to to decide how you deal with it.

Last edited by NCgirl; 10-01-2008 at 01:00 PM..

Old 10-01-2008, 12:29 PM

7,125 posts, read 11,770,280 times
Quote:

I really wish you would stop acting as The Voice of New York. I find it to be distasteful and well...someone else fill in the blanks as I have reached my limit
of warnings concerning my feeling on the subject.

Wasn't planning on posting at all for a while but something came over me when I saw your usual banter.
j

Old 10-01-2008, 01:42 PM

19,855 posts, read 66,107,297 times
Quote:
So who wants to be "really busy" and not have time for any of the things that make life bearable? Maybe the busyness is why so many NYers are so stressed out and ready to leave? That';s not my idea of a pleasant life-style!

Old 10-01-2008, 01:56 PM

362 posts, read 999,202 times
Quote:
As someone who is still hoping to move to the south one day I have been reading this thread and found this comment quite interesting. I was just in Columbia SC last weekend for Parent's Weekend at USC and my husband and I commented all weekend how refreshing it was to have perfect strangers smile and say HI How yall doin. We thought it was really nice. The fact of the matter Sunnie is everyone is busy no matter where they live. It is how you choose to treat people that makes the difference in this world. A smile and a kind word goes along way, and I personally think we wolud all be better off with that attitude. I hope you find what you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte