Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 01:52 PM

54 posts, read 226,501 times

Advertisements

Is it just me.. or is this place not all it's cracked up to be? Maybe it's just because i'm from Long Island NY and nothing else compares to NY, but tons of New Yorkers are apparently moving here.. and I just don't know what all the hype is about Charlotte!! The house prices are low, so what? House prices are low in Idaho.. so why is everyone going to Charlotte? For a nicely priced spacious house, I just don't think it's worth it to move here because the area itself is not that great. I think the crime is out of control.. I have NEVER felt unsafe in new york.. most of the crime that people think is there is just some outdated stereotype that is untrue, but here?? It's awful! And if you want to live in the safest richest neighborhoods, you're going to pay 800,000 for a house so why bother leaving NY anyway! I hate watching Fox Charlotte because all I hear about are murders, shootings, etc; uptown is pretty darn lame; the north side of charlotte is so barren.. even with all that northlake mall stuff, I am just bored and my husband and I can't wait for our lease to be over.

I just wanted to know if anyone else felt similar.. because I honestly just don't understand the hype!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 01:53 PM

749 posts, read 1,316,840 times
no its just you.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:59 PM

28 posts, read 69,465 times
Indeed, my moving to Charlotte is one of the best decisions I've ever made. I lived on Long Island and worked in NY City my entire adult life, until 2 years ago. Except for the lousy drivers, you can't beat this area. You couldn't pay me to go back to NY!

Old 09-29-2008, 02:02 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
I came for a 3 year assignment - 22 years ago - and could just never bring myself to leave It's been a great place to raise my family!

Old 09-29-2008, 02:05 PM

1,521 posts, read 4,952,454 times
why did you leave NY to begin with?

Old 09-29-2008, 02:06 PM

120 posts, read 325,448 times
It's quite obvious Charlotte is not the right fit for you and your husband, and therefore it's clouding your judgement of what Charlotte really is. At least you know that you should stay in NY, call your time here a learning experience. As for being bored, as my Grandmother says, only the boring get bored.

Last edited by GoodbyePA; 09-29-2008 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 09-29-2008, 02:08 PM

97 posts, read 276,866 times
Moved here a few years ago from DC......LOVE it here! I would hate to move away.

Old 09-29-2008, 02:13 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Can't vouch on this experience, but perhaps a parallel one.

I took a job in Atlanta, coming from Los Angeles. Yes, I gave up proximity to the beach, but there was always the Redneck Riviera. I couldn't see mountains hemming in the metro area the way I did in L.A. but there a nicer tree canopy throughout the whole city of ATL and its environs.

But, you know what, the housing price/quality was great, there were a ton of transplants that I got along great with, and it had a nicer pace than L.A. without being too slow.

The only reason I left Atlanta is because I missed the proximity to the rest of my family out West. Otherwise, I wouldn't have left. Similarly, I hear Charlotte and Raleigh are nice, but for real urban dwellers, I don't think any of the low-rise, high-sprawl growing Sunbelt cities (from CLT to PHX) are for them.

Old 09-29-2008, 02:14 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,055,167 times
Every place is what you make of it. I never thought I would leave NY. But alas I did and lived in Houston and in Charlotte. Every place has its positives and negatives. I personally like having experiences in different cities.

Old 09-29-2008, 02:20 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
There are days I miss Kansas City (well - the burb I lived in was outside KCMO). I get homesick for my friends, restaurants, etc. every so often. But then, when I was there, I missed NC at times, too.

I think it also has to do w/ one's age and circumstance w/ family and career. I think a lot of people who have moved here from LI are married and have kids and were looking for a different lifestyle so they have adjusted here well. And these families were well aware that they were moving some place very different from LI - and so things were never going to be the same - so they were not expecting to replicate their former lives.

If you are not happy here and can only find the negative, you probably need to make plans to head back to NY. One has to DECIDE to make the best of any situation. Sounds to me like you are just focused on the negative - and so . . . you are not going to be satisfied here.

Last edited by brokensky; 09-29-2008 at 02:24 PM.. Reason: edit - delete sentence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte