Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 03:40 PM

11 posts, read 40,651 times

Advertisements

This forum is here to help those thinking about relocating to the area, so I will share my current experience. I was curious (as are all) about the city of Charlotte before actually picking up my family and moving to an entirely different city. I had questions about crime, where to live, places to run, jobs, culture, and all the thousands of other questions most have asked here. Although folks here are extremely helpful and the responses, generally, can give you a good feel for what to expect. Please, for those who can, bite the bullet and take the trip to Charlotte! The pictures, the communication, the forums could not do what my eyes and my personal experience of coming here for 3 days could! (actually still here right now and fly out tomorrow).

People are super nice, the food is great, and it's really not humid at all (the temps are about 80 right now). Affordable housing is available everywhere and real estate agents seem so laid back (and I honestly have a strong dislike for the real estate agents I've met in the northeast). And I'm not sure what the locals think, but to me it feels that no matter where you live outside of uptown, you're no more than 25 minutes away. Whether you're in Gastonia, Monroe, Concord, or south of the outer loop (yes, I've drove all over the place!) you can be in the MIDDLE of Charlotte in less that 25 minutes. Huge salary difference from the northeast? Nope! People cutting you off in the traffic, then cursing YOU, as they flip you off? Nope! I know there are some rough places here and I can't generalize, but it's been a smooth sailing trip/experience for me.

The thing that is most surprising, however, is that I wouldn't consider this "the city" at all! 25 minutes away in either direction leaves you in the country with open spaces, big yards, and "small town folks" just trying to make a living. And to be honest, there are parts of Charlotte that I actually see this in the middle of Charlotte city limits. I would never guess that almost 650 thousand people live here! It seems to me that Charlotte is just a really big, spread out town with many smaller (and more rural/country) towns surrounding it in the midst of trees and hills. Once you've pictured that, place some skyscrapers right in the middle of all that and you got Charlotte After careful review of the city and finally taking this trip here for myself, I think I've decided to live in Gastonia instead. A long way from the initial thoughts of living near McAlpine Creek Park.

Again, I've only been here for a couple of days, but this is just my two cents. I hope me sharing my experience helps yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 04:02 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
great post I am glad you like here so far.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:04 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
I think you figured things out pretty well! Nice post and really interesting to read your impressions! Have a safe trip home . . . and hope you can work things out to move here.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:35 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy 6 View Post
This forum is here to help those thinking about relocating to the area, so I will share my current experience. I was curious (as are all) about the city of Charlotte before actually picking up my family and moving to an entirely different city. I had questions about crime, where to live, places to run, jobs, culture, and all the thousands of other questions most have asked here. Although folks here are extremely helpful and the responses, generally, can give you a good feel for what to expect. Please, for those who can, bite the bullet and take the trip to Charlotte! The pictures, the communication, the forums could not do what my eyes and my personal experience of coming here for 3 days could! (actually still here right now and fly out tomorrow).

People are super nice, the food is great, and it's really not humid at all (the temps are about 80 right now). Affordable housing is available everywhere and real estate agents seem so laid back (and I honestly have a strong dislike for the real estate agents I've met in the northeast). And I'm not sure what the locals think, but to me it feels that no matter where you live outside of uptown, you're no more than 25 minutes away. Whether you're in Gastonia, Monroe, Concord, or south of the outer loop (yes, I've drove all over the place!) you can be in the MIDDLE of Charlotte in less that 25 minutes. Huge salary difference from the northeast? Nope! People cutting you off in the traffic, then cursing YOU, as they flip you off? Nope! I know there are some rough places here and I can't generalize, but it's been a smooth sailing trip/experience for me.

The thing that is most surprising, however, is that I wouldn't consider this "the city" at all! 25 minutes away in either direction leaves you in the country with open spaces, big yards, and "small town folks" just trying to make a living. And to be honest, there are parts of Charlotte that I actually see this in the middle of Charlotte city limits. I would never guess that almost 650 thousand people live here! It seems to me that Charlotte is just a really big, spread out town with many smaller (and more rural/country) towns surrounding it in the midst of trees and hills. Once you've pictured that, place some skyscrapers right in the middle of all that and you got Charlotte After careful review of the city and finally taking this trip here for myself, I think I've decided to live in Gastonia instead. A long way from the initial thoughts of living near McAlpine Creek Park.

Again, I've only been here for a couple of days, but this is just my two cents. I hope me sharing my experience helps yours.

Gastonia is an affordable option for sure. Glad you are finding your niche (knew you would!) But hey, what about your commute - isn't your new job in Monroe?

Old 09-15-2008, 04:59 PM

20 posts, read 68,897 times
Quote:

I just came back from my visit and overall I totally agree with your perspective. The only piece that I can't speak on is Charlotte vs. other counties because I didn't get the chance to visit surrounding companies.I couldn't believe it when my cousin kept telling me that everything was within 15 minutes from where they live. Of course after touring the city I realized it was true. My visit sealed the deal for me. I'm so ready to move!!

Old 09-15-2008, 08:54 PM

11 posts, read 40,651 times
I decided to go with an offer in Gastonia and found a really nice apartment, literally, 2 blocks from the job site. Great pricing, amenities, has a 5-mile trail in the back, and close to work? For me, I can't pass that up. Too many positives to ignore.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:18 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
I decided to go with an offer in Gastonia and found a really nice apartment, literally, 2 blocks from the job site. Great pricing, amenities, has a 5-mile trail in the back, and close to work? For me, I can't pass that up. Too many positives to ignore.
Good for you! Glad your trip went so well, and sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:48 AM

1,908 posts, read 4,981,082 times
What a nice post!! I'm glad everything worked out for you. Though I'm already here a year, I couldn't agree with you more.
WELCOME!!!!

Old 09-16-2008, 10:46 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,239,417 times
Quote:
This part definitely sounds like it was written by a visitor and not a resident. I pretty much disagree with everything in this paragraph after living here for over 1.5 years.

1. It can and will be humid. My first summer here was virtually humidity free because of the drought. This summer was much more humid. People tell me this was mild this summer also.

2. "Affordability" of housing is totally relative. It depends where you are moving from.

3. Navigating around town is often a pain. Only at certain, rare times of the day can one zoom around in a matter of minutes.

4. No cutting off? Cursing? Flipping the bird? Ha! Maybe it doesn't happen as often here, but it still happens a lot.

5. Some jobs do have a huge salary difference. My field does not, but many do. Don't generalize on this because you'll be wrong more than you're right.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:50 AM

25 posts, read 45,882 times
I am in the same situation. We are trying to plan a trip up there before wer make up our minds about moving there so I'm glad to hear that it was positive. We had had our hopes set on other places only to find out that they were nothing like we had read or seen. My only concern is this - I am coming from GA and from what i've heard the north is more expensive to live in. Your interpretation of cheap/affordable living could be a lot higher than what I view cheap/affordable as. Can you elaborate on pricing any? Thanks and good luck on the move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte