Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 02:29 PM

1,808 posts, read 6,497,382 times

Advertisements

If we only have one day to spend in Charlotte (e.g. this Saturday!), what essentials should we see? We're planning on just driving through the area to learn about more about the city. We're debating making the move from Raleigh and there's only so much you can learn online - time to see things first hand! Any great neighborhoods to wander through? Any places to stay away from?

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 03:09 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,431,606 times
I recommend visiting the Bodyworld's exhibit at Discovery Place if you can stomach it.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:11 AM

94 posts, read 356,459 times
In a day trip you could park Uptown and see several museums (Discovery Place, Museum of the New South, Mint Museum of Craft + Design) and get a sense of some of the entertainment options the city offers - the Performing Arts Center, sports stadiums, etc. A short drive from Uptown are interesting neighborhoods with good restaurants, like South End and Dilworth, or out towards Plaza Midwood (I think Dish on Thomas St. is one of my favorite restaurants). All of those areas are walkable and have some good shopping too. Of course if you're really interested in shopping, Southpark is the place to go, which is about 20 minutes from Uptown. Enjoy your day!

Old 08-09-2007, 02:56 AM

928 posts, read 3,853,018 times
Go somewhere cool. we are a 100 plus, if you must be outside bring sunscreen a nice hat. I would favor the shopping and discovery place. HOwever, this won't help with housing if your looking for a place to move or neighborhood info.

We almost stopped in Raleigh on our trip to the beach, my daughter got very ill and I figured if we need to go to the er why not be near Duke, Wake Forest, or UNC - we braved through and made it back to Charlotte though.

Where is the good shopping in Raleigh?

Old 08-09-2007, 06:20 AM

Thanks to all of you for your posts - please keep the suggestions coming!

XNYgirl, so sorry your daughter got sick! Poor thing, what a terrible thing to happen on vacation.

The next time you're in Raleigh and looking to do some shopping you can stop at:

* Crabtree Valley Mall - off of Glenwood Avenue and 440. Lots of great department stores and restaurants, though parking can be a bit tough (there's a valet parking service if you feel like giving that a try; DH and I park farther out and walk in to avoid some of the crazy parking lot traffic).

* Triangle Town Center Mall - this is North Raleigh close to I 540 and on Rt 1 (Capital Blvd). My understanding is that this mall is very new (of course, everything is new to me since I've only been here since March!) but it does have a nice little outdoor area where the kids can play (no playground) if you need a break from being inside.

* Cameron Village - my personal favorite. This one has some more eclectic, local shops in addition to some national favorites (Ann Taylor, Talbots, etc.). Cameron Village also has some really great casual restaurants. It's located just minutes from downtown Raleigh; you can get there from Wade Avenue.

Let me know if you'd like any additional shopping suggestions!

Old 08-09-2007, 07:10 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,431,606 times
Oh, Lion King is playing in Charlotte now too.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:16 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,454,842 times
Check out the Newcomer's Guide thread, it has a good listing of great things to do and see in the Charlotte area.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:32 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post
If we only have one day to spend in Charlotte (e.g. this Saturday!), what essentials should we see? We're planning on just driving through the area to learn about more about the city. We're debating making the move from Raleigh and there's only so much you can learn online - time to see things first hand! Any great neighborhoods to wander through? Any places to stay away from?

TIA!
Here's my 2 cents for a car tour of things you just may want to see:

From Raleigh you will take I85 to Charlotte, but as you approach Charlotte exit onto I77S. At exit 9 (not sure but I think it is 9b) you want to exit onto I277/hwy 74. This will swing you around uptown on an elevated highway for a better view of uptown, in particular, Panther Stadium. Very shortly (about a mile at the most) you will exit onto S. Caldwell to get down into uptown. The main drag in uptown is S. Tryon so to get there from S. Caldwell, go about a block or two and take a left on 2nd Street. Once on 2nd the third intersection should put you at S. Tryon, take a right. Some of the streets in uptown are one way, but not all. I would ride S. Tryon down to about 10th street, then turn around and go back to take a right on Trade St. From there you can explore the 3rd ward area and the west side of uptown. Once you have had enough I would turn around on Trade and head east to see that end of uptown and move on to other parts of town.

As you pass under I277 Trade becomes Elizabeth Ave. You will ride thru part of the Central Piedmont Community College campus and the Elizabeth neighborhood until the street deadends at the entrance to Presbyterian Hospital. Take a left when you get to that intersection onto Hawthorne. Here you have two choices, depending on what you are interested in... go straight on Hawthorne and you will see one section of homes in Elizabeth, eventually coming to Central Ave. If you take a right on Central Ave. you will be in Plaza Midwood. To see some of the nicest homes in that neighborhood take a left onto The Plaza from Central Ave. Go about 5 blocks down and take a right on Belvedere to see some awesomely redone "cottages". You could retrace your route to put you back on Hawthorne and once back by the hospital take a left on 5th Street. OR, the second choice would be once you are at that intersection with Elizabeth and take your left on Hawthorne, take your next right onto 5th Street to see another part of the Elizabeth neighborhood. Take a right on N. Laurel. At the redlight take a slight left and go across the intersection onto Colville Road. Now you are in the Eastover neighborhood.

Colville will end on Providence Rd, take a right. About 4 blocks up take a left at the intersection of Providence and Queens Road. You are now entering Myers Park. Follow Queens Road to drive thru Queens College and see many nice homes. At the intersection of Queens and E. Queens take a left onto E. Queens and do the whole loop of Queens (it will eventually become W. Queens). From W. Queens take a right on Radcliffe and you will end up at the intersection of Queens and Selwyn. Take a right on Selwyn. Proceed down Selwyn and take a left at the intersection of Selwyn and Runnymeade (this is a redlight intersection). Proceed down Runnymeade until it dead ends at Sharon Road. Take a right onto Sharon Rd.

You are now entering the South Park area. At the intersection of Sharon and Colony you may turn right to see more of the homes in the neighborhood, or just go straight and in about two blocks you will see the entrance to South Park Mall. If you like malls and shopping, this one is worth seeing. There are several great places to eat in that area if you are hungry by that time.

Now, this was a lot of info, and I'm not sure you want more so I will quit here. IF you are interested and want my recommendations for what to do after you leave South Park, just let me know

Old 08-09-2007, 11:00 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,322,650 times
Wow! LovesMountains! That was awesome! Everyone should save that trip.

I remember when I first started navigating that Queens Rd loop - thought I'd never get out. It's covered with an oak-tree canopy, so you can't see up and out and when you come to the intersection of Queens and Queens you think you are lost in a maze...LOL! The first time I navigated through Queens from Uptown to SouthPark, I thought I had finally mastered getting around Charlotte.

Very good intro to Charlotte. Can't go wrong with one of LovesMountains' itineraries.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:03 AM

Thank you so much, lovesMountains! I'm printing this and will bring it along on Saturday (along with a good map!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte