Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 05:17 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,884,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
This part definitely sounds like it was written by a visitor and not a resident. I pretty much disagree with everything in this paragraph after living here for over 1.5 years.

1. It can and will be humid. My first summer here was virtually humidity free because of the drought. This summer was much more humid. People tell me this was mild this summer also.

2. "Affordability" of housing is totally relative. It depends where you are moving from.

3. Navigating around town is often a pain. Only at certain, rare times of the day can one zoom around in a matter of minutes.

4. No cutting off? Cursing? Flipping the bird? Ha! Maybe it doesn't happen as often here, but it still happens a lot.

5. Some jobs do have a huge salary difference. My field does not, but many do. Don't generalize on this because you'll be wrong more than you're right.
It may be appreciated by someone that you decided to debate this person on their post. I think what the OP was going for was to point out THEIR experience in Charlotte, relative to where they live now (which was pointed out in their post as the Northeast). If the OP is from the greater NYC area (CT, NJ, LI), it's obvious the difference is huge.

To the OP, glad you enjoyed your visit. Hopefully the CLT area will be what you need and things go well. Welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 05:57 AM

11 posts, read 40,715 times
Quote:
This part definitely sounds like it was written by a visitor and not a resident. I pretty much disagree with everything in this paragraph after living here for over 1.5 years.

1. It can and will be humid. My first summer here was virtually humidity free because of the drought. This summer was much more humid. People tell me this was mild this summer also.

2. "Affordability" of housing is totally relative. It depends where you are moving from.

3. Navigating around town is often a pain. Only at certain, rare times of the day can one zoom around in a matter of minutes.

4. No cutting off? Cursing? Flipping the bird? Ha! Maybe it doesn't happen as often here, but it still happens a lot.

5. Some jobs do have a huge salary difference. My field does not, but many do. Don't generalize on this because you'll be wrong more than you're right.
As I stated to begin with, this was my experience and I definitely wouldn't generalize this as being the norm. But, you also have to consider two very important facts: I was born and raised in Mississippi (which gets hotter and more humid than Charlotte) and I currently live in an urban, northeast city (an 800 sq. ft condo with no yard and neighbors stacked on top of you could cost 350k). People up here (yes, I'm back) are ultra-rude (I actually got cursed out before I made it out of the airport terminal because I asked how much the toll was (there are tolls to pay to get around the city, unlike Charlotte). I had to realize real quick that I was no longer in the south and it made me want to get back even more! Regarding the traffic, my experience was that yes, the highways can become huge parking lots at certain times of the day. But, for the most part, after the rush hours of the day, it's smooth sailing. On my way to the airport, I zoomed through downtown Charlotte with no problems and absolutely no traffic at 2:00 pm. Here, 2:00 pm is considered the very beginnings of rush hour, as most people working in the city absolutely don't live here. Could be the same as Charlotte...
Personally and luckily, the salary difference will not bite me. However, for the better quality of life (space, trees, people, spirituality, etc.) I'd take a 5-10k pay cut to live back in the south. For a 2bdrm 2bath in Gastonia, with a spacious yard, I'm getting a condo for 590 a month in a nice neighborhood. The same here would cost MINIMUM 2k-2500 dollars a month. To each his own, but I'd rather live a life of quality rather than chasing what the Jones' have up here.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:14 AM

11 posts, read 40,715 times
I appreciate 'amploud' other view of the same coin. He's right, others reading from outside the city who take my experience as the norm could be in for the shock of their life. I think it most depends on WHY you are moving here and from WHERE you are coming from. I think those are the two biggies. For those wondering and most importantly offer a sense of context of comparison, I am an African American and currently live in Boston. I have read so many threads on this forum about outside minorities wondering about the climate of the city and lifestyle and culture of the south. Mostly, those born and raised in the north and considering relocating to the south. Read and believe these words: if you can survive the "climate" and "culture" of the north being an African American you can definitely not just survive, but enjoy Charlotte. I felt like I was at a huge family reunion. People I've never met in my life offered me brochures on jobs, information on where to live and how to get affordable housing, invited me to their table to meet THEIR best friends, and I shared my story with them. And not just Black people, but also White. It was a reunion. And it made me smile simply walking around the city. I WILL NEVER FORGET WHAT HAPPENED WHILE WALKING DOWN S. TRYON: I overheard this woman waiting on a bus say, "Damn he's happy about something". I turned back and grinned even harder, which made her laugh out loud too! At that moment, I knew this was home.
I can't say that it never happens in Boston, but I say it never happened to me or anyone that I know of. I hate to add so many posts to a thread I started myself, but every time I revisit to read comments, it reminds me of something I forgot to add.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:33 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,918,401 times
Definately a plus being able to get to places quickly. There are very good connecting arteries everywhere and the traffic is not bad, even in rush hour, unless there are accidents. Otherwise, it flows smothly.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:40 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,918,401 times
Quote:

The initiator of the post was being general and I feel he was right on. You seem to be basing your comments on your own experience. The prospective one has depends of the environment from which he/she comes. In his case, he obviously comes from a large city. I would guess that you are from a small town and not used to traffic, job competition, or enough drivers to allow confrontations. These situations happen. Maybe more or less in some places. As far as the weather, I do believe that he was here during a week when the weather was descent. I come from Florida. The weather here is much more adaptable. At least it gets cool enough to go out in the evenings and the mornings.

I thought his post was good. People that have positive attitudes adapt well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte