Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 11:38 AM

2 posts, read 29,738 times

Advertisements

I am looking to visit Charlotte at the end of September from Portland, OR. Where is a good hotel in a neighborhood with lots of places to walk with great shops and places to eat? If you are from Portland, or have been here, I'm looking for a comparable place to the Pearl District in NW Portland.

Also, do you know of any great events going on at the end of September?

The reason for my visit is for relocation and job market. I currently live in the Pearl District so looking for something of the same nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 11:48 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,552,457 times
South End & Dilworth

Old 08-21-2008, 12:11 PM

371 posts, read 1,102,737 times
The Westin will be near great restaurants, but not much shopping. Marriott Southpark is probably your best bet for both, but more traditional than trendy.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:18 PM

777 posts, read 2,569,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
South End & Dilworth
There are no hotels in South End...unless you count the Ascot Inn .

The only thing in Dilworth is Morehead Inn, Hotel Charlotte, Inns of North Carolina

Duke Mansion is in Myers Park and would probably fit your bill.

The Duke Mansion - Historic Bed & Breakfast and Meeting Place

Old 08-21-2008, 12:46 PM

36 posts, read 137,036 times
I have never been to Portland but I am pretty sure you will not find any neighborhood in Charlotte to be like what you've seen in Portland.
Charlotte is a very car-oriented city. The only walkable area that also has hotels is Uptown. There is very little shopping uptown but plenty of bars and restaurants. We also have a light rail that will take you from uptown to South Charlotte (on a straight line). You would probably only care to get off in the South End area where there are some shops.
Our major shopping area is South Park Mall and surrounding but you will either have to drive there or take a bus. If you stay in this area you could walk around but it is still car-oriented.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:15 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,539,723 times
I would stay in SouthPark area and rent a car. Or, I like the Duke Mansion. Regardless, I would rent a car. This is the South. We like our cars, LOL.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:07 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,755,519 times
I would recommend you try to stay Uptown (the name of our downtown). September is our big month for festivals so they'll be plenty going on either weekend you come that month. But the last weekend in particular is one of the more popular ones with the Culinary Arts Experience in Gateway Village in Uptown. Also that weekend is the Charlotte Film Festival, also in Uptown. You can see more events in the thread below.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...ctivities.html

As others have said though, I'd recommend you rent a car to get around to areas outside of Center City. You'll find Charlotte, like most cities in the South, is very dependant on car travel.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:25 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,048,794 times
Trendy & Charlotte are usually not two words that you put together....

Old 08-22-2008, 11:34 AM

2 posts, read 29,738 times
Thank you everyone for the tips...looks like I'll be renting a car Perhaps there is a Hybrid rental so i don't have to sacrifice all of my Oregonian-ness. Although Charlotte may not be very "Trendy", looking at the upcoming September events that Carolina Blue's link lists, there is Fashion Week and a Mary J Blige/Robin Thicke concert, so I get my "Trendy" atmosphere, plus the beautiful country surroundings all wrapped up in one place...sounds like heaven to me!

Old 08-22-2008, 12:56 PM

85 posts, read 193,940 times
dont listen to chicago cubs, charlotte is very trendy or at least as trendy as most cities, excluding cities like new york or la.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: