Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 03:49 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,480,131 times

Advertisements

We are going June 16 thru 19th. Maybe we'll run into eachother. LOL

Old 05-28-2006, 05:39 PM

170 posts, read 566,985 times
Hey a1m1700,
don't forget to check out Fort Mill for me, we'll be there this summer as soon as our house sells, moving truck and all! I can't wait to hear your comments on the area. We're going to check out Hickory as well, it looks like a nice town also.

Old 05-28-2006, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2boys
Hey a1m1700,
don't forget to check out Fort Mill for me, we'll be there this summer as soon as our house sells, moving truck and all! I can't wait to hear your comments on the area. We're going to check out Hickory as well, it looks like a nice town also.

Oh yeah for sure. When are you going down? Hickory Hmmmm I have to look that up. Is that the same area? By the way I'm a mom of 3 boys and a girl. LOL

Old 05-28-2006, 09:08 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,839,724 times
Hickory is the hometown of NASCAR driver Dale Jarrett, driver of the 88 UPS Ford car. Just thought I'd toss in some NASCAR trivia.

Also girls NC is the furniture capitol, check out the Hickory Furniture Mart! I ordered a catalog on the website and can hardly wait to go!

Old 05-28-2006, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy
Hickory is the hometown of NASCAR driver Dale Jarrett, driver of the 88 UPS Ford car. Just thought I'd toss in some NASCAR trivia.

Also girls NC is the furniture capitol, check out the Hickory Furniture Mart! I ordered a catalog on the website and can hardly wait to go!

Oh yes yes yes. I can hardly wait to furniture shop. Glad we watch our HGTV. We got a lot of decorating to do

Old 05-28-2006, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700
Oh yes yes yes. I can hardly wait to furniture shop. Glad we watch our HGTV. We got a lot of decorating to do
Boy, you arn't kidding. When we completed our remodel we redid every single room so I didn't want to hang any pictures on the pristine walls just so that I could patch holes after we sell. All my pictures are in the POD.

The huge thing is that it took me 2 years to find the bed I wanted and while reading my Country Living magazine on the back cover their it was and I had to have it. I waited for a 1/2 price sale at Thomasville. We bought the bed (last June) and since we have a queen now and the new bed is a king, that too is in the POD! We figured since the queen matresses will be tossed we will wait to get new ones once we move. No since in hauling more weight. The funny thing is, Thomasville is in NC so my bed was shipped out here just so that we could ship it back! The bedroom is the first thing I am decorating.

Old 05-28-2006, 10:16 PM

170 posts, read 566,985 times
Hickory is NW of Charlotte, I've been doing research online, what a cute town it looks like. They just sent me a visitors package, lots of furniture stores! Wow! I love the looks of it, lots of festivals, cute main street, and from what I've heard, schools look good also. (I could be wrong, that's just what I've found). Anyway, I hear you on decorating, we just practically emptied our house to put up for sale tomorrow, I can't believe how much I got rid of! Garage sale, here I come!

Old 05-28-2006, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Hickory is NW of Charlotte, I've been doing research online, what a cute town it looks like. They just sent me a visitors package, lots of furniture stores! Wow! I love the looks of it, lots of festivals, cute main street, and from what I've heard, schools look good also. (I could be wrong, that's just what I've found). Anyway, I hear you on decorating, we just practically emptied our house to put up for sale tomorrow, I can't believe how much I got rid of! Garage sale, here I come!

I was going to do a garage sale too and finally we just donated it. I am going through my closet one more time and making one more donation trip. We are going to sell the bed set we have now and toss those sway back old mattresses, probably part of my back problem! I am so looking forward to new matresses.

Good luck on the sale of the house. As I mentioned earlier we had our 12th open house today. Although within the past 3 weeks it seems like the serious house hunters are coming out. So hopefully not much longer, looks liked you picked a good time. Still slow but $ are still holding.

Old 05-28-2006, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Hickory sounds great. I have to research that one tomorrow.

THX

Old 05-29-2006, 01:49 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,045,174 times
Default Hickory

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700
Hickory sounds great. I have to research that one tomorrow.
It's a wonderful spot to make as a base for day trips up into the mountains

The main shopping area (as well as the huge furniture mart) is along highway 70, near the 321 interchange. There is a smallish mall, all the Big Box electronic stores, a nice bookstore, Walmart (as usual), and restaurants. Oh .. and a big Harley Davidson showplace, if you're into that *shrug*

321 will take you down to Gastonia (west of Charlotte) or north to Blowing Rock and Boone, in the mountains before heading west over to Tennessee. It's a road that is currently under construction to make it 4-lanes into the mountains. It's also one to AVOID on weekends in the fall. Good lord It's a mess at those times. We had one encounter on a day trip, heading south out of the mountains, and saw cars lined up for miles - no place to turn around - who looked to be stuck on that road for hours. As long timers and inveterate explorers, we know of better routes (and better times) to visit the mountains, but it seems some people think that only weekends in the fall, on the most direct route, is the best way to go. That's one thing I advised newcomers: get yourselves a topographical map of the state (Delorme - found at any large bookstore) and EXPLORE! IMO, you can't call yourself an NCer if all you do is stick to the major roads and hit the well-named tourist spots That's for the tourists who fly in, spend a couple weeks, and then proclaim that they've seen all there is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte