Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2008, 07:16 AM

18 posts, read 82,545 times

Advertisements

If anyone has experience with both of these areas, I'd love to hear your opinionsl. I am married with two young kids (3rd & 6th grade)...so schools, athletics, good neighborhoods are essential. I would just like those good neighborhoods to be on the lake?? Which lake would be better for a young family? I'm coming from Northern VA - where the Potomac is my playground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 07:34 AM

257 posts, read 669,439 times
IMO...... Smith Mountain Lake is "prettier" b/c of the mountains that surround it but you will have MUCH more to do at Lake Norman. I think Lake Norman is the safe bet but I would visit Smith Mountain/Roanoke and see what you think.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:44 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,552,879 times
Smith Mountain Lake... Lake Norman has seen its better days years back. To built up on the lake and the lake can be very busy. Lake Norman was great years ago. My family had a 2nd home on Lake Norman for probably 30 years.

Especially if you are looking for retirement...Smith Mountain Lake.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 07-10-2008, 11:21 AM

58 posts, read 151,111 times
I just came home to Charlotte from our family reunion which is every 3 years. Smith Mtn Lake is really beauiful and clean! The down side is that it is very country. Lots of cows and farms. We did do some great horse back riding there. There is at least one country club community called Edge Water there that is very nice with a sense of community. Roanoke is about 40 minutes away and the closest Walmart is a ZOO! Trust me there.
Lake Norman has about the same shoreline but is a completely different lake. There are lot more communities on the lake. Commuting to Charlotte may be a problem if you need to do that daily. If I were to pick a spot to retire it would be Smith Mountain but raising kids...I have 5 ages 10,13,14,15,and 20, I would have to go for Charlotte. I think there is just more for the family to do with still being able to play on the lake.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:10 PM

307 posts, read 715,410 times
Hi, I have never been to smith mountain lake but my sister in law grew up there. She recently came to visit me on Lake Norman and her and my brother loved it! She liked this area because there is so much around. Where her parents live they had to drive 15 to 20 minutes to get to a grocery store and there is just not much around, very rural. Lake Norman is like what you are use to in Nova. I moved here 3 months ago from nova myself so I know what i am talking about! I grew up there. Now when I say it is what you are use to I am talking about amenities. A lot of people consider this area very congested and built up but its nothing compared to metro dc. I love it here! I guess it depends on what you are looking for, I am sure Smith Mountain is beautiful but probably a lot quieter and with school age children that may not be what you want.

As far as someone saying its seen better days, I am not sure what that means really, I guess just that it is not as quiet as it use to be but it's still a great area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte